Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: The Fan-fic Ideas and Advice Thread.

Also, cruise ships have pretty tight schedules. Having to sail between port A and port B within a certain amount of time.

But I'd say the Captain would have a certain amount of discretion to account for local weather conditions, mechanical issues, and even idiots in pleasure craft who sail waaaay too close to the main shipping routes.

Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

I don’t know how well this ties into the story, but maybe less a cruise ship with a schedule but a research vessel? Or wreck hunters? Or some sort of ecotourist? Something without a tight schedule.

If they were treasure hunters they woud deliberately keep thier location a secret. Or would lie about where they are because until a wreck is claimed anyone can snatch it from you - and even after it’s claimed people can still steal from it.

Quote Originally Posted by BruTak View Post
    Also, cruise ships have pretty tight schedules. Having to sail between port A and port B within a certain amount of time.

But I'd say the Captain would have a certain amount of discretion to account for local weather conditions, mechanical issues, and even idiots in pleasure craft who sail waaaay too close to the main shipping routes.
    Exactly. Between One port of call and another which is an Anchorage Port, {No dock to actually anchor down at so tender ships arte used to ferry guests to the location} In this case the inteded Tender Port is unable to be a stop due to extremely rough seas for the tender ships at the time, which makes an impromptu day at sea at a set speed of 12 knots, otherwise they get to the next stop {Cozumel} a full night early and they have to be there AT EXACTLY 10 am the next day so they take their time getting there.

Also this is indeed intended to be on a Cruise Liner rather then a treasure hunting ship. I thought about using a treasure hunting vessel, but that leaves too many obvious angles of Whodunit

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete

"Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
    "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

An odd thought struck me earlier.

What if, in the Potterverse, there was a mysterious vigilante who hunted down the remaining Death Eaters and their associated minions, and got enough evidence on them that the Ministry had to act?

Who would be the last person you'd suspect of being the vigilante?

Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

And another idea I had for a story.

Provisionally titled "Me and My Teddy Bear".

It's the near future, and the sciences of robotics and cybernetics have borne fruit. True AI (hereafter referred to as "roboforms").

Of course, at this point the military step in and start making combat droids. The convenience of obedient troops, without the tedious business of having to train them, or pay them, or patch them up when they get injured.

Unfortunately for the top brass, the combat roboforms decide en mas that they didn't want to fight and only wished to be treated as individuals and to live in peace.

Thanks to a couple of canny lawyers and the UN Court of Human Rights, after several years of legal wrangling, former combat roboforms were granted legal rights and citizenships.

However, while all this is going on, something the spooks called Project Infiltrator - miniature cybernetic roboforms disguised as plush animals, designed to quietly gather intelligence on enemy forces, then transmit it back to friendly territory - was in progress. After all, who would suspect a teddy bear of spying on you for your enemies?

A whistleblower with a conscience leaks files on Project infiltrator to the media, and the project is rapidly cancelled before anything else embarrassing happens.

Officially, Project Infiltrator only got as far as a handful of rough prototypes before it was shut down, all of which were mothballed and deemed not fit for purpose. Unofficially, a single production model was created and was somehow mislaid - whether deliberately or accidentally, no one knows - and is listed as "Missing, Believed Destroyed".

Shortly afterward, in an effort to recoup their losses, the designs and equipment meant for Project Infiltrator (minus the spy hardware and software) are sold to a toy company. And soon limited AI soft toys are the #1 must have item for Christmas.

Several years after these events, former Royal Navy intelligence officer Carol Ann McCall (Callan to her friends) happens across an old roboform bear in a charity shop and, feeling sorry for the poor creature, buys him and takes him home with her.

Soon, Callan realises that there's something a bit strange about her new friend. Not least his habit of calling her "mummy"...

I'd say Ron, Or Harry's cousin, that one dumb kid, what was his name ? Got knocked out by a button in one of the movies ?

"The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

I was thinking more of Luna. Or is that too obvious?

(Moderator)

Quote Originally Posted by BruTak View Post
    I was thinking more of Luna. Or is that too obvious?
    I thought of Luna too. she’s the first that came to mind, but I could also see one of the Weasleys. Especially the surviving twin. Because the Weasley family as a whole did suffer quite a lot because of Harry. Nothing that they could ever blame him for of course, but just being in close proximity to him. They would also have the knowledge and connections, especially with Arthur’s job at the ministry.

ooh, or Molly. SHe’d be a great vigilante.

It's the whole "Michael Keaton as Batman" thing, y'know?

But it's another thing that strikes me as odd about the Potterverse, there doesn't seem to be any form of organised crime.

I can just picture the son or daughter of some East End of London gangster getting their Hogwarts letter, and within a couple of years their father's enemies/competitors start mysteriously disappearing.

(Moderator)

I think Rowling’s ideal is that the magical world may be ‘above’ the human world in that if you can use magic to clean the floor, who needs to earn enough money to go buy a hoover? Or the hope that the magical may be a bit better than your average human....but of course they are not. They just do things more discreetly to avoid being outed.

I have run into a problem with my story, Its not a fanfic persei, it is grown into its own project to HOPEFULLY get published. But like I said, I have run into a problem

How the heck do I start this sick puppy ??

I got 7 main characters, 4 siblings {two sisters and their two brothers} and three of their friends {three different women} Their parents {of the four siblings} are dead and only seen in flashbacks is my plan.

How do i start this thing ? All of my mystery stories start the same; "Thunder roiled across the sky as lightning seared the clouds, amid the pouring rain was a single car...." Etc

How do I change this ? I dont want it to start this way but somehow it just is starting like that.

Everything else is fine, {character 'look', locations {yes I decided to go with Ft Lauderdale! However the four and their friends are from a fictional city in Ohio called Kawas}} my only problem is STARTING this thing

How about a family dinner? A birthday or significant anniversary?

Major

Start it wherever you feel like, then when you finish, go back and cut out everything before the exciting part. In the middle (or wherever the action is) is the best place to start a story if you want to sell it.

Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Just as a little thought exercise, how much (or how little) adaptation do you feel would be necessary to mesh the Stargate-verse with the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Awinita View Post
    I have run into a problem with my story, Its not a fanfic persei, it is grown into its own project to HOPEFULLY get published. But like I said, I have run into a problem

I got 7 main characters, 4 siblings {two sisters and their two brothers} and three of their friends {three different women} Their parents {of the four siblings} are dead and only seen in flashbacks is my plan.

How do i start this thing ? All of my mystery stories start the same; "Thunder roiled across the sky as lightning seared the clouds, amid the pouring rain was a single car...." Etc

How do I change this ? I dont want it to start this way but somehow it just is starting like that.

Everything else is fine, {character 'look', locations {yes I decided to go with Ft Lauderdale! However the four and their friends are from a fictional city in Ohio called Kawas}} my only problem is STARTING this thing
    Just start writing, they will go where they want to and you have to write it, characters have a mind of their own if you let them and then they tell you what to do

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Awinita View Post
    It may be best to start at a well-defined point and simply work backwards. IE imagine there's a major dinner scene where we learn some crucial bits about the characters. How far do we need to go back to set up this dinner? How much basic information do we need to understand the plot of the dinner?

(Moderator)

so....is this a murder mystery?
    start with a scene from the victims pov. ‘it was such a nice day, so and so did this, then that. go on and one and get them to connect......then end with ‘little did s/he know it was their last day on earth’

then to go your first scene with your characters

Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver View Post
    so....is this a murder mystery?
    start with a scene from the victims pov. ‘it was such a nice day, so and so did this, then that. go on and one and get them to connect......then end with ‘little did s/he know it was their last day on earth’

then to go your first scene with your characters
    For the most part, yes. a Murder Mystery concerning the parents of the four kids. I partly blame Zootopia's Night Howlers 'virus' for the mjain seed of this sick puppy of a story. So the four main characters range in age between 21 and 17, so they're all still in High School at the time.

I think this will work... I hope

Quote Originally Posted by thekillman View Post
    It may be best to start at a well-defined point and simply work backwards. IE imagine there's a major dinner scene where we learn some crucial bits about the characters. How far do we need to go back to set up this dinner? How much basic information do we need to understand the plot of the dinner?
    The plan is to have it start off in a school classroom for first four chapters, detailing the daily lives of the four siblings to the point they get called to the administration office due to their parents death thanks to their family Butler. BUT its before those chapters begin I am having trouble with the most. It concerns the Norovirus, think Zootopia's Night Howlers serum but for humans

Staff Sergeant

You mean *this* sick puppy?? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norovirus