Will You Take My Hand? (115)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flash525 View Post
    Not to dispute this, but hat wouldn't explain for the non Constitution officers and admirals that appeared throughout TOS also wearing the Constitution uniform.
    I agree with your sentiment, even if I disagree with your reasoning for getting there

TOS is still around a decade away from where Discovery is at right now, so what the admirals wore in TOS in 2266-68 is immaterial here.

However the fact that the Discovery admirals in 2256are wearing Discovery-esque uniforms rather than the TOS-style--which according to that book are fancy and new--is a bit telling. I have a hard time believing that the admirals wouldn't adopt a new uniform first.

So...yeah. I agree with you, even if I don't agree with your reasoning

Originally posted by Flash525 View Post
    I do believe the showrunners have made it quite clear that the Enterprise and Pike will feature in the opening to Season 2, though they've been reluctant to answer any questions concerning Spock.
    I've only seen this interview with EW, where Kurtzman is being cagey (at best). To me it reads just as likely that they're just figuring out how to gel with established canon. Was there another interview or segment somewhere where they talk more in detail?
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

You know the thing that I keep coming around to in my thoughts now is that we have what we consider canon all mixed up. Fans start with the original series and consider that the basis of canon with the other spin offs branching off from it... But it's more that 50 years old. It's visually and conceptually outdated so why should we consider anything we actually see in the show canon? Yes we should still consider the characters and the stories themselves canon, but the ships, the technology? Should we accept that the 23rd Century uses what the show actively calls "data tapes" and view their briefings on tiny 8 inch screens when we can almost create hologram technology in today's world? While Kirk signs off on this week's duty roster on a PADD that is twice the size of my laptop? Of course not. Even Enterprise looks more technologically advanced than TOS and yet when you compare that show with today's tech some stuff again just looks terribly outdated. Now when it comes to things like the uniforms that is a little different, but even if we never see anything like the Cage jumpers I'd be ok with that. Because ultimately the Discovery style uniforms and the armour they use as away team gear look infinitely more practical and believable.

However having said that, we have seen Starfleet wearing multiple different uniform variants before. in The Motion Picture we see a few different versions. In Star Trek Generations the Enterprise crew wear two different types of uniforms throughout the whole film and we continually see the TNG style uniform on extras in the background throughout DS9 even when Starfleet apparently switches to the black and grey "war uniforms" in the last few seasons. And this all makes sense because even a modern military have a variety of different uniforms to suit whatever role a soldier needs to take on.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
        And this all makes sense because even a modern military have a variety of different uniforms to suit whatever role a soldier needs to take on.
        You took this right off the tip of my tongue.
        OK so here's a thought. Maybe they gave the enterprise the new uniforms coz they're like their agents or ambassadors to new races. Isn't the enterprise mission to map new sections of the galaxy and meet new races?

Comment

Here's an article on TV guide about what we know so far about season 2

Comment

Originally posted by Kilgharrah View Post
            You took this right off the tip of my tongue.
            OK so here's a thought. Maybe they gave the enterprise the new uniforms coz they're like their agents or ambassadors to new races. Isn't the enterprise mission to map new sections of the galaxy and meet new races?
            Exactly. The constitution class ships were the ones going on the 5 year missions. As the crews pushing the scientific and diplomatic boundaries of known space you could think of the cage and later tos uniforms as being a more comfortable, almost civilian equivalent. consider it like a NASA jumpsuit compared to a military uniform.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
              I've only seen this interview with EW, where Kurtzman is being cagey (at best). To me it reads just as likely that they're just figuring out how to gel with established canon. Was there another interview or segment somewhere where they talk more in detail?
              This isn't the article I read the other day, but it's one similar; TVLine Source. I would think it heavily suggests that Pike (at least) will be present in Season 2. There's another article I've read (I'll have to find that one too) where there was a piece by production on recasting Spock (for a third time) and whether they'd want (or even, be likely) to cast Quinto in the role.

Also, what's wrong with my reasoning?

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
              However having said that, we have seen Starfleet wearing multiple different uniform variants before. in The Motion Picture we see a few different versions. In Star Trek Generations the Enterprise crew wear two different types of uniforms throughout the whole film and we continually see the TNG style uniform on extras in the background throughout DS9 even when Starfleet apparently switches to the black and grey "war uniforms" in the last few seasons. And this all makes sense because even a modern military have a variety of different uniforms to suit whatever role a soldier needs to take on.
              You're right, come to think of it. I know in DS9 there were scenes where Sisko was wearing Grey, with Ross wearing Red. I guess the admirals are a little behind with their wearing of the more modern attires.

I just wonder at this point whether the Enterprise crew would have their TOS clothing, and if they do, how long would it be until (or, if ever) the Discovery crew update theirs? I think DS9 is the only show that actually changed their uniforms part way through!

Maybe they gave the enterprise the new uniforms coz they're like their agents or ambassadors to new races. Isn't the enterprise mission to map new sections of the galaxy and meet new races?
              I have a hard time believing that aliens, new or old, are going to care much about what we're wearing.
              sigpic

Comment

They aren't going to care about what the crew is wearing, but the federation cares about appearances.

Comment

Didn't Spock's father say Burnham would meet her new Captain on Vulcan? Maybe some unknown Vulcan is going to take command, I don't think it will be Lorka, prime Lorka will probably be discovered on one of their science expeditions in some new friendly and shaky alliance with the Klingons, or perhaps the Klingon that looks a human will bring him back (sorry terrible with names).

Comment

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post
                    Didn't Spock's father say Burnham would meet her new Captain on Vulcan? Maybe some unknown Vulcan is going to take command, I don't think it will be Lorka, prime Lorka will probably be discovered on one of their science expeditions in some new friendly and shaky alliance with the Klingons, or perhaps the Klingon that looks a human will bring him back (sorry terrible with names).
                    Doubt it's a Vulcan. Spock is well known to be the first Vulcan in Starfleet. But maybe someone raised on Vulcan. Someone Burnham has a history with....

Comment

I am also expecting it won't be Lorca, since Cornwell was apparently completely unaware of Mirror Lorca's duplicity--so no-one knows where our universe's Lorca is right now.

Of course, I've managed to be wrong in my predictions on this show quite a lot, so who knows.
                      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                        I am also expecting it won't be Lorca, since Cornwell was apparently completely unaware of Mirror Lorca's duplicity--so no-one knows where our universe's Lorca is right now.

Of course, I've managed to be wrong in my predictions on this show quite a lot, so who knows.
                        It won't be Lorca. It'll either be someone new or they'll never get one and Saru will continue as Captain.

Comment

I don't think they are going to give Saru command of the discovery. I think they will give it a new captain and Saru will return to his post as first officer.
                          As for Prime Lorca, I think they'll find him locked up somewhere. Mirror Lorca must have hidden him somewhere.

Comment

I don't think they are going to give Saru command of the discovery. I think they will give it a new captain and Saru will return to his post as first officer.
                            As for Prime Lorca, I think they'll find him locked up somewhere. Mirror Lorca must have hidden him somewhere.
                            Don't expect it. I mean it's star trek and anything is possible but everything I've read implies that while they may come back to Lorca at some point when Issacs is available, it won't be him as a regular and likely not in season 2. Personally I hope he's not alive. I'd rather Discovery come across a planet that hates starfleet because they encountered Lorca right after he arrived in the Prime universe and we see a flashback to when Lorca got there and killed his counterpart and destroyed the prime Buran himself...

Comment

So I rewatched the finale and here are two thoughts:
                              1- I loved the details they gave the Enterprise. That's the beausty of CGI.
                              2- So was Burnham affected by the timeline change in the Kelvin timeline? Maybe she didn't complete her Vulcan training in the other timeline for some reason. I mean the Kevlin destruction took place around the time when Burnham was in the Vulcan Learning Center. I'm interested to know about this. Maybe we'll see her in a sequel (probably would be a different actress though). This probably wouldn't happen, but I was just wondering.

Comment

2- So was Burnham affected by the timeline change in the Kelvin timeline? Maybe she didn't complete her Vulcan training in the other timeline for some reason. I mean the Kevlin destruction took place around the time when Burnham was in the Vulcan Learning Center. I'm interested to know about this. Maybe we'll see her in a sequel (probably would be a different actress though). This probably wouldn't happen, but I was just wondering.
                                No no, disregard the JJverse completely. Discovery is in the original timeline, so nothing from those three films has any impact on this show whatsoever.

Comment

Working...
                                X