Stargate-themed artwork in the Finnish band Nightwish's new material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate-themed artwork in the Finnish band Nightwish's new material

So, the Finnish band has been previously discussed here on GateWorld on a couple of occasions, specifically one of their older songs called Tutankhamen that mentions the world Stargate. Other than that, and the fact that they use all kinds of science, science fiction and fantasy elements in their lyrics, they have absolutely no connection to the Stargate franchise.

However, late last year they released the poster for their next world tour, starting this spring, called Decades. Interestingly enough, the poster has a very Stargate-like object in the middle:

Funny, isn't it? But probably just a coincidence. Nothing special. Until today, when they revealed the artwork for their compilation album of the same name (Decades). Which, of course, looks a lot like a DHD

What do you guys make of all this? Maybe it's just that the artwork designer is a fan of Stargate? Who knows.

I rather think that is supposed to be some kind of old compass or very old clock rather than a Stargate, at last that's what it does look like to me

Aso there are gears on the pic, so I would assume it's something like that, also because the album is called Decades, so a clock would fit more than a Stargate, maybe it is also some kind of pocket watch like thing
    Last edited by DarkenLycht; 05 January 2018, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Well, quite obviously it's not a Stargate. It just looks like one. A lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Osiristi View Post
        Well, quite obviously it's not a Stargate. It just looks like one. A lot.
        True, but then again a Stargate is just a ring with symbols and some gems on it. While the stargate as we know it has a rather specific look, it's not that hard to make a ring-shaped object with some engravings look like a Stargate.

In this case, there aren't 37 symbols on it nor do we see chevrons, so i rather think it's just coincidence.

Comment

I have googled pics of old pocket watches and despite them having a clock-face as the inner ring, some look just like what is on the Nightwisf art

Comment

It's called the power of suggestion, people.

But in this case, a stargate is not the first thing that comes to mind, and neither does the DHD in the second picture where the ring-shaped object is just laid down flat instead of facing the viewer.

Ring-shaped objects have existed throughout history, science-fiction and stories. Not everything is a "stargate" or similar to a stargate. The above does in fact remind me more of a compass, than a clock. A steampunk inspired compass in fact.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
              It's called the power of suggestion, people.

But in this case, a stargate is not the first thing that comes to mind, and neither does the DHD in the second picture where the ring-shaped object is just laid down flat instead of facing the viewer.

Ring-shaped objects have existed throughout history, science-fiction and stories. Not everything is a "stargate" or similar to a stargate. The above does in fact remind me more of a compass, than a clock. A steampunk inspired compass in fact.
              Steampunk style and clocks came to my mind first when I saw the pic, I am into such kind of things a bit

Comment

I do see the similarities but I don't think it's intentional either.

All that being said, I have to say I adore Nightwish. They're one of my favourite bands alongside Within Temptation and Delain.
                Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Lost my taste for Nightwish when they switched lead singers, and Tarja was ousted.

But Sharon den Adel still has me dreaming -- Within Temptation is high on my playlist.
                  Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                  X