Gods in Stargate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gods in Stargate

One of the reasons I love Stargate so much is that they present mythologies as actual events,with the logical explanation that the gods are simply alien races with advanced technology.
    Primitive humans see them as gods because they have powers that they can’t explain.

The egyptian “gods” (the Goa’uld) use it to rule and make humans their slaves,
    While the Asgardians “gods” either keep their distance or protect them.

They are enemies to each other and so you can say it’s a war between the gods, when really none of them have super powers, just technology.

But, I'm rewatching SG-1 and in season 3 episode 3 you find out that the Goa'uld aren't only the egyption gods but also the Greek and Chinese. I have to say I'm a bit disappointed, I was hoping they would make an alien race for more mythological gods from other cultures.

P.S
    I just found this site and omg whenever I talk about Stargate nobody knows what I'm talking about and no one's willing to watch it! Suddenly I find plotholes, theories and an active forum!
    Kinda geeking out right now.

You say "rewatching" but I don't know if you've seen the entire show, so I'll keep it pre-season 3.

Considering you're in Season 3, you should already know about the Asgard (AKA Norse gods, and the origin of the Roswell Gray/alien abduction conspiracy theories). And without spoiling anything, there are a few more. The reasons why the Goa'uld are so "broad" are also more-or-less explained over the course of the series. There's no reason to create a new alien race for each pantheon, also considering almost every culture have the same gods, just with different names and traits.

Also, Goa'uld don't pose as Chinese gods. The only "Chinese" Goa'uld is Yu-huan Shang Ti, who poses as the first Emperor of China.

If you're less worried about spoilers, I can be more specific.

Comment

It's a rewatch but considering the last time I saw it was about 6-7 years ago I forgot a lot of it ^^" XD .
      I'm Glad there would be more, and I know about how broad the Goa'uld are, it just seemed very clear that they were related to egyption mythology, I didn't remember them having to do with others so it surprised me.

Maybe I'm hoping for more cultural- alien explanation because I'm a sucker for mythology and it's something I didn't give much thought to when I first watched the show in high school.

I do love how they made a connection with the Asgard and the Gray aliens origin!

Comment

There's a lot more mythology than just the Goa'uld posing as various gods of various cultures. In fact, a lot of it is also implied. I don't know how much the writers knew, but it turns out the Goa'uld's snake-like appearance is similar to the Chinese dragons and the mythical Serpent in the Bible who temped Adam and Eve, all of it fits.

Beyond that, a lot of legends and myths that exist in the world, both ancient (the origins of the pyramids, Babylon, Atlantis) and modern (Roswell, alien abductions, Area 51) are all plausibly explained.

What follows could spoil parts of the show, if you really don't remember.
        Spoiler:

Season 9 introduced the Ori, a religion split off from the Ancients, both of which are somewhat based on Christianity (really, considering how and why Adria was born).

With the Ori storyline, the entire Arthurian Legend is also explained. King Arthur, Merlin, the Knights of the Round Table, the Holy Grail, Morgan le Fay, Camelot. It's all rationally explained.

Comment

It is the reason i love the stargate series so much, they tried to link it to real world facts and myths.

Comment

Yes!! Exactly :>

Comment

Originally posted by NickEast View Post
              You say "rewatching" but I don't know if you've seen the entire show, so I'll keep it pre-season 3.

Considering you're in Season 3, you should already know about the Asgard (AKA Norse gods, and the origin of the Roswell Gray/alien abduction conspiracy theories). And without spoiling anything, there are a few more. The reasons why the Goa'uld are so "broad" are also more-or-less explained over the course of the series. There's no reason to create a new alien race for each pantheon, also considering almost every culture have the same gods, just with different names and traits.

Also, Goa'uld don't pose as Chinese gods. The only "Chinese" Goa'uld is Yu-huan Shang Ti, who poses as the first Emperor of China.

He was also a God in Chinese mythology.

https://www.ancient.eu/Jade_Emperor/

"The Supreme August Jade Emperor is the supreme deity of Chinese tradition and is otherwise known as Yuhuang Shangdi (Yu-huang Shang-ti)"

Comment

We have got the Oannes (the race of Nem and Omoroca) who are connected to the Sumerian/Akkadian mythology.

We have got Quetzalcoatl (the Giant alien from Chyrstal Skull) who is connected to Mayan mythology.

We have got Furlings who are maybe connected to the megalithic buildings (like Stonehenge) according to the "Paradise Lost" design.

We have got the Nox which are based on the Greek mythology. Probably that sounded cool, but as we have hardly explored deeper this race.
                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyx

Goa'uld gods were also selected from various folks :
                like Celtic -
                Spoiler:
                Grannus, Camulus, Morrigan

like Aztec/Mayan -
                Spoiler:
                Zipacna, Telchak, Chalchiuhtlicue

like Hindu -
                Spoiler:
                Nirrti, Kali

like Greek -
                Spoiler:
                Cronos, Ares, Athene, Pelops, Thanos, Nerus

like Slavic -
                Spoiler:
                Svarog

like Canaanita/Mesopotamic/Middle East -
                Spoiler:
                Baal, Mot, Moloc, Ishkur, Marduk, Tanith, Tiamat

like African (Joruba) -
                Spoiler:
                Olokun

like Japanese -
                Spoiler:
                Amaterasu

like Chinese -
                Spoiler:
                Yu

But most of them have come from the Egyptian mythology -
                Spoiler:
                Ra, Apophis, Hathor, Seth, Horus (Heru-ur), Sokar, Anubis, Thoth, Bastet, Quetesh, Osiris, Isis, Sekhmet, Sahmet, Serquet, Sobek, Nut, Montu, Khnum, Imhotep, Nefertum, Amaunet, Atum

https://stargate.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_Goa%27uld
                Last edited by Platschu; 12 March 2020, 03:06 PM.
                "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                  like Canaanita/Mesopotamic/Middle East - Baal, Mot, Moloc, Ishkur, Marduk, Tanith, Tiamat
                  Watching Season 6 • Episode 21 • Prophecy

Has Lord Mot who was a Canaanite God.

Comment

Yeah, I have written the same. I haven't got time to split up even all the Middle East related or mentioned Goa'uld characters into more groups by folks.
                    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Working...
                    X