I Didn't Like The New Blade Runner.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Didn't Like The New Blade Runner.

So, I finally got to watch the Blade Runner remake. Sure, beautiful photography and really nice CGI. But the film itself is so riddled with plot holes, inconsistencies and unexplained stuff that it almost ruined the film to me.

First of all, they use Replicants to kill other Replicants, and they use a test that was clearly outdated 20 years before that to make sure that a Replicant would not "snap". This despite the fact that the replicant, "Rachel", some 20 years before required over 100 questions to be identified as a Replicant. So the replicant "Joe", the protagonist of this mess has enough human emotions to want a wife and a relationship, and yet he fits perfectly in the parameter of being completely unemotional and submissive of the test? The fact that he purchased an A.I "woman" to have a relationship with did not trigger any red flags with his superiors.

The cop woman goes on and on about how replicants and humans must not only be separated, but that human must control replicants to make sure they don't snap. And yet, in Blade Runner replicants are used as both police officers and soldiers, meaning that they give guns to them. I mean, they are terrified of a replicant uprising and use tests to identify any sort of emotional revolt, but at the same time give guns to them and allow the replicants to pretty much be the entire military? Now that is a brilliant idea, guys. Nice going. I mean "here, let me give a gun to this guy who is 10 X stronger than me and a functional psychopath. Nothing bad will come from this!"

Then, the guy that makes the Replicants becomes obsessed with finding a replicant that is capable of breeding and figure out her secret so that he can make other replicants capable of self-replication. I mean, the guy earns his living making and selling replicants. If replicants can get pregnant and self-replicate, then why he will be needed for? He is basically putting himself out of business. Brilliant business plan.

The film also never really explains what replicants are. They say they are "bioengineered human". But then, we see they have a serial number in their eyes and that their eyes are clearly mechanical. Maybe they are cyborgs like the Terminator with bio-engineered flesh and mechanical parts. But, then, at least some of them can create children and their internal organs appear to be biological. And why exactly do the replicants lack human emotion? That could be obvious if they were robots, but as "bioengineered beings" with biological brains, there is no reason why they wouldn't have human emotions. Maybe they found the genes for emotions and deleted them? Or the exact brain structure of emotions and severed it? But they can develop emotions evident by the test they give them, so that can't be it. Just terrible writing.

Then, there are minor plot holes that are just annoying. I mean, the Earth is destroyed due to environmental degradation, so they set to colonize space. Apparently, they have colonized systems outside the solar systems. So they can travel to planets on other solar systems and colonize them, but can't fix the environment on a planet? Uh,what?

And oh boy did the Blade Runner franchise get their timelines wrong or what? In the original movie in 2019 we have colonized planets in outer space and can custom-make people with genetic engineering from scratch. Medicine in 2017 cannot even control simple inflammatory conditions like asthma and arthrites. I don't think we'll close the gap between where we are now and the BRU in the next couple of years.

Overall, a beautiful film to look at, but the plot and character development leaves a lot to be desired.
    Last edited by NoobTau'ri; 03 December 2017, 06:22 PM.

Oh geez. I'm just glad that our world looks nothing like the post-apocalyptic world of the original 1982 movie! The book it's based on was written in 1968 and I sincerely doubt it was intended as a future history. That said, in 1968, at the height of the Cold War, a nuclear holocaust was a real fear for many people.

I liked the way the new movie stayed true to the orginal and didn't try to retcon it to match our current world more closely. And I'd like to point out that this wasn't a remake but a direct sequel to the 1982 movie.

The same bioengineered vs. mechanical problems happen with the Cylons in the 2004 Battlestar Galactica. Boomer/Athena can interface with computers by sticking an USB cable in her wrist, yet she's also capable of interbreeding with humans.
    sigpic

Comment

I was going to say I thought this was a sequel?

Talking of BSG, is Bill Adama in this film?

Comment

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post
        I was going to say I thought this was a sequel?

Talking of BSG, is Bill Adama in this film?
        Yeah, he is. It's a short scene but crucial.
        sigpic

Comment

Like a lot of Sci-Fi you kind of have to ignore the plotholes and just go for the ride. Beautifully made movie nonetheless.
          Regards,
          Halokim
          The Graveyard Shift

Comment

Also there aren't really plotholes as such. Just segments that aren't explained. Both Blade Runners are open to a lot of interpretation. That's part of their appeal.
            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Working...
            X