Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could Destiny be saved with Avenger 3.0 and Beachhead supergates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, I know, just read the starting post... But it means a small ship or the pieces of the supergate could still travel in the gate memory (without the DHDs).
    And where exactly would we make said supergate parts at??

Comment

Tommin's people could make supergates, or the rescue team re-use the old ones behind them. But this was also in the starting post.

a ---> b (normal wormhole between two galaxies)
      a--- B supergate pieces sent ----> b change into B
      a ----> B (starting kawoosh changes to supergate a--->A)
      A ---- > B (connection between the two supergates)
      A --- ship goes through --->B
      a ---- > B (starting kawoosh changes from supergate A--->a)
      a ---- A pieces sent through -- >B
      a ++++ B+A (connection cancelled and they recollect the two supergate pieces - A and B)

Or something similar. The only problem that the entrance wormhole couldn't be jumped or it needs a new technology to be introduced for it.

Or option B - we leave out the supergates and only some special upgraded jumper goes through the normal wormhole with a Wraith beam technology what could store the rescued crew.
      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

It's a nice idea and it could actually work, but there would be certain obstacles from actually making it happen:

1. The Midway bridge was nearly taken over by Wraith and they got really close to taking control of the SGC. It it weren't for Teal'c and Ronnon working together, the president of the USA along with the entire government would need to answer some questions to the entire World about how they played with destinies of all inhabitants of our planet for years and to justify the reasons about how did they spend a lot of money for a top-secret-program mission in another Galaxy. That was the reason of why the bridge was blown up in the first place. To keep things safe in Pegasus AND Milky Way. To keep Wraith from getting FREE access to immense food resource for them.

2. I doubt that such mission would be even discussed or even considered in the government and by the USA president. The Stargate program already costed a mega-fortune to operate and maintain. Saving the Destiny crew the way you imagined would mean extending Earth's Stargate Program and SGC's presence BEYOND Milky Way AND Pegasus. That's something that would cost not only money, but would mean that whoever would be chosen/selected for the mission, would basically have to act and function the same way the Destiny crew did by the end of SGU S2. That would include the rescue crew members giving up their lives as they know them - children separated from one or from both of their parents or other relatives. It would also cost some people their marriages since in SGU, the "Stargate program is a government secret" plot is still clearly maintained and built upon even further, not to mention regular people getting suspicious that something isn't right since their close and long-distant relatives, friends and neighbors are suddenly missing and nobody knows where they are. It would also mean setting up camps on planets in galaxies along Destiny's way. We are talking about a MEGA-LARGE group of people, which wouldn't exactly fit in 1 space ship that's SMALLER than Destiny. Plus it would probably require the Odyssey making a couple of trips back and fourth and even probably building a few HUNDRED Odyssey-based ships. Which would probably require a lot of Supergates down the road.

That and since the in-series fact is that anyone who finds out about SGC's existence needs to sign that they're not going to give it away, it would mean even more people getting payed to maintain the silence and the secrecy of the Stargate program. Which would probably end up stretching the government's (not to mention SGC's) resources EVEN MORE, since I imagine O'Neill, Carter, Jackson, Vala and Teal'c would be somehow a part of everything, because you know - they're the LEGENDARY SG-1 that supposedly nobody knows of.

In addition, let's say that the Atlantis mission is still ongoing in the Pegasus (going by the Stargate:Extinction's plot, which would had the movie show the city make its way back to Pegasus), which means the entire expedition would be super-divided between Earth and Atlantis and probably for the same or smaller paychecks. Things would get so messed up to the point that even a time travel situation wouldn't be of any use to any of the involved. Now I'm imagining that the Wraith would be somehow back in the unmade Atlantis S6, plus there would be still the open danger of the Pegasus replicators coming back for "some more". There's also a possibility that the Atlantis mission would need to get cancelled altogether in the interest of saving the Destiny guys, since that would become the priority.

All of that would eventually end up in the Stargate program completely falling apart, since there would be the same people doing twice or trice the work for the same or lesser amount of money for some reason. People involved in Stargate missions would start feeling not only used, but TORMENTED by the growing requests of their officials. Everyone would just start to loose interest and leave the program completely, first in smaller, and then in larger amounts and groups. Teal'c', Bra'tac, Ronnon, Teyla and any non-Earth based ally would choose to leave first to deal with their own problems, followed by everyone else. I just can imagine Carter and MacKay flipping out and admitting that their friends and allies from MW and Pegasus were right, so they would just stop working for the SG program altogether and Jack would just re-buy his cabin and continue fishing, with Carter joining him.

Meanwhile, the US would finally need to admit that they screwed up, in which case, would need to go public since the financial resources of the Stargate program would make the entire World go into an even worse, unimaginable crisis.
        Last edited by Mnikolic; 17 January 2018, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Wow. Thanks for the long post.

It is a bit depressing what you wrote. They should not leave anyone behind, so my whole idea was to go after them with the help of the gate system while they use the newest gate technologies and ships.
          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

It is depressing, yes, but if I would be a military person who is taking part in a top secret space-portal program and my superiors would ask me to join an team/expedition to rescue the guys from Icarus, I would do some open-minded thinking first. I would consider a few things first (and I would recommend my fellow teammates to do the same):
            1. How my life is going and how am I living so far?
            2. How's my family doing and are we happy together? Are they happy with me? Am I happy with them?
            3. And for that matter, could anyone be able to guarentee that the rescue mission would be successful?
            4. If the mission is not successful, would we be able to return back to Earth safe and sound?
            5. How long would it take us to get back to our beloved ones weather the mission is a success or not?
            6. What if we reached Destiny, got on it and the Destiny guys basically tell us to go to hell and that they want to help the ship complete its mission? I can imagine Rush doing some manipulating so he could convince everyone to stay and then some stuff happens and boom - everyone starts seeing things the way Rush is.
            7. Would I be conformable talking to my beloved ones via the communication stones?
            8. Would my beloved ones be comfortable talking with me while my mind is in someone else's body?
            9. Most important question: Would all of my family members get a green light to use the communication stone system?

Going to Atlantis and back is one thing - you just find a ZPM or that generator thing (or something that holds the same power) and one moment you're in an Ancient City and the next you're watching a sports game on your TV in your living room. But this is Destiny we're talking about. Ship's old, rusty, damaged and it might hold the greatest secret of the universe (or the way to it). The show presented the background radiation plot as a big deal. So why waste the money on a rescue mission who's success is under a big question mark and might not deliver results, while the resources of the Stargate program could be re-directed to finding a power source which would eliminate the necessity of an Icarus-based planet, which was also a freaking expensive thing? Temporarily cancel a couple of other missions and just keep the base staff and equipment on Atlantis so that mission could continue uninterrupted. Make Carter and McKay work together along with Daniel and the scientists from Destiny via the communication stones and come up with a more reliable and safer solution for their problem. Have O'Neill send some reinforcements and food, IT and military resources and equipment trough the Stargate whenever possible and make the life on Destiny easier for the crew, thus enabling everyone to complete the ship's mission easier and more efficiently and get back to their beloved ones.

Comment

Okay, these are good questions and I wish they could make a similar scenario in the third SG DVD movie, but I am not Brad Wright, so only he knows what he has planned to close this story.

We don't know how far are they. But even if it would be 300 galaxies, they could reach them within weeks or months with the gatesystem / supergate system combination. Travel in gate memory, then travel through supergates between the galaxies. So everybody could return within 1-2 years or less.
              Last edited by Platschu; 21 January 2018, 12:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                even if it would be 300 galaxies, they could reach them within weeks or months with the gatesystem / supergate system combination.
                Several billion lightyears looks more like a few thousand galaxies. Assuming a couple days to traverse each and setup the inter-galactic jumps, we'd be talking years or even decades.

Comment

They could work on figuring out how the supergates were powered by black holes. Once that's done they could gate to the Destiny and send through the tech that would allow the destiny's crew to do the same. Then they would be able to send supplies and people both ways.

Comment

Agreed. Plus it would probably cost less and put less people and their lives in danger. Not to mention it'd be more practical since there would be more people available on Earth to do SG missions that would be connected to Destiny and its crew. That and no-one would have to leave their beloved ones for a long period of time, thus avoiding the scenario in "Gauntlet"- relationship breakups (Camile and Sharon), families being split even more (Eli & his mother, Chloe & her mother, Matt & his son, etc.).

Comment

Alternative option would be to use the 9 chevron address... They could dial in instantly to Destiny, if they could find a right energy resource / planet / whatever. Or they could send the supergate pieces there if they could bring out or beam out the Universe gate. Or just simply use the Asgard core to make a few ZPM type energy resources etc.

It would be nice to find out if there was more than one Destiny in the universe, or if there are other 9 chevron addresses as well..,.

There is so much potential in the SG universe. We need a new SG spinoff.

Comment

Working...
                      X