Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOTR TV Series coming to Amazon!

http://cultfix.co.uk/lord-of-the-rin...rmed-32870.htm
    Amazon today announced it has acquired the global television rights to The Lord of the Rings, based on the celebrated fantasy novels by J.R.R. Tolkien, with a multi-season commitment. The upcoming Amazon Prime Original will be produced by Amazon Studios in cooperation with the Tolkien Estate and Trust, HarperCollins and New Line Cinema, a division of Warner Bros. Entertainment.

“The Lord of the Rings is a cultural phenomenon that has captured the imagination of generations of fans through literature and the big screen,” said Sharon Tal Yguado, Head of Scripted Series, Amazon Studios. “We are honored to be working with the Tolkien Estate and Trust, HarperCollins and New Line on this exciting collaboration for television and are thrilled to be taking The Lord of the Rings fans on a new epic journey in Middle Earth.”

“We are delighted that Amazon, with its longstanding commitment to literature, is the home of the first-ever multi-season television series for The Lord of the Rings,” said Matt Galsor, a representative for the Tolkien Estate and Trust and HarperCollins. “Sharon and the team at Amazon Studios have exceptional ideas to bring to the screen previously unexplored stories based on J.R.R. Tolkien’s original writings.”

Set in Middle Earth, the television adaptation will explore new storylines preceding J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Fellowship of the Ring. The deal includes a potential additional spin-off series.

A world-renowned literary work, and winner of the International Fantasy Award and Prometheus Hall of Fame Award, The Lord of the Rings novels was named Amazon customers’ favorite book of the millennium in 1999 and Britain’s best-loved novel of all time in BBC’s The Big Read in 2003. Its theatrical adaptations, from New Line Cinema and Director Peter Jackson, earned a combined gross of nearly $6 billion worldwide. With an all-star cast that included Elijah Wood, Viggo Mortensen, Ian McKellen, Liv Tyler, Sean Astin and Orlando Bloom, The Lord of the Rings trilogy garnered a combined 17 Academy Awards, including Best Picture.

The upcoming Amazon Prime Original will be available for Prime members to stream and enjoy using the Amazon Prime Video app for TVs, connected devices including Amazon Fire TV, and mobile devices, or online with other Amazon Prime Originals online at Amazon.com/originals, at no additional cost to their membership.
    Interesting... Thoughts? When will it be set?

*insert "NO GOD NO" GIF*

Comment

Oh why? Every successful movie nowadays seems to be either made into a TV series or a musical, when will this stop?
      Last edited by DarkenLycht; 16 November 2017, 12:49 PM.

Comment

When the people stop paying for it
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

I think the time period where leading up to the creation of the original rings of power and culminating the the One Ring being lost could be interesting. During that time the kingdoms of men, the dwarves and elves were all at their peak so there could be a lot of room for good stories.
          sigpic

Comment

If it was based on the stories of the Silmarillion it might be OK. Any series based on LOTR would have to be pretty damn good to meet the expectations most fans would have for it.
            Regards,
            Halokim
            The Graveyard Shift

Comment

So this will apparently be set in Numenor(probably spelt that wrong) focussing on the rise of Sauron, and not centre on a young Aragorn as everyone thought...

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
                So this will apparently be set in Numenor(probably spelt that wrong) focussing on the rise of Sauron, and not centre on a young Aragorn as everyone thought...
                Ah I knew it, and good news that is. Contrary to most I'm thrilled for this series, as long as they don't mess it up like the Hobbit movies.

A Silmarillion series would have been completely ridiculous, this book doesn't have much cohesion.

I bet the spinoffs will be about the other stories, the children of Hurin comes to mind.
                Spoiler:
                I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

I've been hearing similar rumours about it being set in the Second Age. It's a neat idea; Tolkien didn't really fill in a lot of details from that era (broad strokes yes, but not so much details), so that would allow the TV show's writing team a pretty free hand.

I'd be suuuuuuper chuffed if it ended up being The Silmarillion, though. I f---ing love The Silmarillion, it's by far my favourite entry into the Legendarium..
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                    I've been hearing similar rumours about it being set in the Second Age. It's a neat idea; Tolkien didn't really fill in a lot of details from that era (broad strokes yes, but not so much details), so that would allow the TV show's writing team a pretty free hand.

I'd be suuuuuuper chuffed if it ended up being The Silmarillion, though. I f---ing love The Silmarillion, it's by far my favourite entry into the Legendarium..
                    Well while I also think it's cool, I'd say it would be pretty hard to pull a series about the time prior to the First age, it's way too abstract.

That being said, they could go as far back as when Melkor destroyed the trees of life, eventually leading to Sauron corrupting the Numenorian Kings --- ending with Numenor sinking back into the sea and the Exodus to the middle Earth.

Wasn't Gandalf's ring made from a small shard from one of the Silmarils? Along with the two other rings of power? I thought it was bestowed upon him while he was in Mai'ar form.
                    Spoiler:
                    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                      Well while I also think it's cool, I'd say it would be pretty hard to pull a series about the time prior to the First age, it's way too abstract.
                      I absolutely agree. I don't think there's any way to bring the Music to the screen, just not possible. And all the years spent in the paradise of Valinor before Melkor started mucking about--I don't think that would work on screen easier. Fortunately though, that's only like the first 10-15% of the book, and then comes the exodus and the Oath.

Wasn't Gandalf's ring made from a small shard from one of the Silmarils? Along with the two other rings of power? I thought it was bestowed upon him while he was in Mai'ar form.
                      Nah the Silmarils were lost at the end of the First Age after the War of Wrath. One lost in the sea forever, one cast into the bowels of the Earth, and one in the sky as the North Star--putting one into each realm of the world, earth, sea, and sky.

The Rings of Power were forged during the Second Age, by the Elf Celebrimbor (a descendant of Feanor, who forged the Silmarils in Valinor before the start of the First Age). Celebrimbor forged 16 of the 19 Rings of Power in concert with Sauron, who was at that point posing as a benevolent figure trying to increase the glory of the peoples of Middle Earth. Celebrimbor forged the Three (the ones that went to the Elf lords) alone, and after all that was done, Sauron forged the One Ring in secret in Mordor.

Narya, the Ring of Fire (the one that Gandalf has in LOTR) was previously in possession of Cirdan the Shipwright, the Elf Lord of the Grey Havens. When Gandalf entered the world earlier in the Third Age, Cirdan recognized that he was of the Maiar, and gifted the ring to him.

....I am a gigantic Tolkien geek. I try to read through the whole Legendarium once every year or two
                      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                        I absolutely agree. I don't think there's any way to bring the Music to the screen, just not possible.
                        When I first read that book, I was so confused like ''wtf is all that singing about?''

Nah the Silmarils were lost at the end of the First Age after the War of Wrath.
                        Okay, I just remembered they were gone forever.

The Rings of Power were forged during the Second Age, by the Elf Celebrimbor (a descendant of Feanor, who forged the Silmarils in Valinor before the start of the First Age). Celebrimbor forged 16 of the 19 Rings of Power in concert with Sauron, who was at that point posing as a benevolent figure trying to increase the glory of the peoples of Middle Earth. Celebrimbor forged the Three (the ones that went to the Elf lords) alone, and after all that was done, Sauron forged the One Ring in secret in Mordor.
                        Yes this much I know. I think I remember now, what I meant is that those Two Trees of life or whatever, they had all the light of the world right? Was it that same guy who created the Silmarils, using a small shard of light from those trees to put within it?

I'm also extremely confused about the timeline:

Pre-first age = The non-corporeal realm, something alike God's heaven. That's where all the Gods did their singing to create the corporeal realm. I forget what those Gods were called. So in a nutshell, the Gods were singing and Melkor sang a different tune, creating his own distorted creatures on the land they were forming?

First age = I though the First Age was the ''Adam and Eve period'' when the elves, the first creatures to walk that mystical land which you said was Valinor. They lived in peace for a while until something happened, I think the first breed of Men caused troubles because they weren't immortals like the elves, and were banished to Numenor? Those men could live for a lot longer (Aragorn's race) and the Mighty Kings ruled over the lands there. That's when I thought the rings were forged. There was also a split, most of the Elves stayed in Valinor because they were permitted by their Gods and some went with the humans, in Numenor.

Then Sauron pulled a Game of Thrones, set the Kings against each other, the Gods punished everybody and sank Numenor into the sea banishing their creatures on an exodus to the Middle Earth. They went by boat.

Second Age = We are in the Middle Earth. Melkor takes a corporeal form with the aid of Sauron, his ***** basically at that time, and begins to construct a dark underground fortress in the North (Ankh'bad I think?) in secrecy, breeding orcs and wolves and stuff. Huge army. Melkor being a Valar has a bunch of badass Maiar working for him, and those are Balrogs. The Light side Maiars would be Gandalf and his pals (elves mostly I think?).

A big ass war happens, Elves men and the Dwarves (I think it is said the dwarves were incredibly powerful which is why they were eventually the firsts to be outted by Sauron, he knew their potential) team up, they win, Melkor is crippled and too weak to ever come back as he once did. The Valars are banished back to Valinor since the Gods thought they were causing too much trouble, a decision was made to leave the fate of the Middle Earth in the hands of Elves and Men. To one exception, the Maiars are allowed to stay as watchmen, in case Morgoth came back. Melkor cheats the system since he's one treacherous bastard, he kinds of merges into Sauron, but I think it's more like Sauron assimilates Melkor, not sure? 2nd Age is over

3rd age I thought was when Sauron first rises up in Mordor, a new fortress, you know in the clips we see in the LOTR movies when he first gets his finger cut by Isildur. The LOTR story would be in this third age, and at the very end the 4th age is beginning?

?? = Gods
                        Valaars = Gods in a corporeal form-ish, that'd be the God of Light which I don't recall his name and Melkor when he's walking Middle Earth? Wasn't that God of Light also not in mortal form at all, since he deemed it too evil or something?
                        Maiars = Angels (Gandalf, etc.)

....I am a gigantic Tolkien geek. I try to read through the whole Legendarium once every year or two
                        And that's great man, you're a wealth of knowledge on everything I like lol. Sorry all for derailing this thread.
                        Spoiler:

Comment

When I first read that book, I was so confused like ''wtf is all that singing about?''
                          Yeah Tolkien was a scholar of language and mythology, so I guess his world needed its own Genesis....on a conceptual level it's interesting to me, this idea of the harmony of the Music being irrevocably altered by the discord of one player, of the next movement of the Music triumphing over the discord until it plays louder and disrupts that movement too, and so on. I like to think of it as sort of the 'grand design' of all creation, that Good is the natural state until it's stained by Evil, but eventually Good triumphs, until Evil taints the new version of Good, which then triumphs again, over and over down through the ages of history.

To draw a parallel, the Ainur during this period are the Angels of God, playing his Music. Melkor is the Lucifer who just won't play ball with the rest. Some of the Ainur choose to come to the newly created Earth to fulfill God's plan (as laid out in the Music), among them Melkor, and in so doing are permanently bound to the world until its end. These first Ainur to come to the world are the Valar, and are the gods of our world (and kind of akin to the ancient Greek gods, if you squint a little). The Ainur who come to the world a bit later (ie: Sauron, Melian, and the being who would later be known as Gandalf) are still demigods, but not as powerful as the Valar.

But yeah....interesting as it is in concept, and even as a Tolkien nerd, I find it a bit of a chore to read. I honestly can't conceive of any way it could be translated to screen in an interesting (or even comprehensible) way.

Yes this much I know. I think I remember now, what I meant is that those Two Trees of life or whatever, they had all the light of the world right? Was it that same guy who created the Silmarils, using a small shard of light from those trees to put within it?
                          No....the Silmarils were forged by Feanor in the Years of the Trees, before the beginning of the First Age (more on that in a sec). He captured the light of the trees in the gems in a way that nobody believed possible, and nobody ever achieved again.

When Melkor and Ungoliant destroyed and defiled the trees, the gods asked Feanor to turn over the Silmarils so that they could use the jewels' light to restore them. Feanor, his mind having been poisoned by pride (fed by Melkor and his followers), refused, and the Trees died. Then Melkor stole the jewels and fled Valinor, into the 'real' world.

I'm also extremely confused about the timeline:
                          Honestly the easiest marker is the creation of the Sun.

Everything before the Sun is a sort of mythological pre-history. That includes the Music, the Years of the Lamps, the awakening of the Elves in Middle Earth, the Years of the Trees, the forging of the Silmarils, Melkor's earliest antics, and the exodus of the Noldor from Valinor in their quest to reclaim the gems.

After the destruction of the Trees and Feanor's refusal to surrender the Silmarils, the Valar (the gods) created the Sun so that the world would again have light, and set it in the sky so that Melkor could not destroy it, too.

First Age (587 years)
                          The dawn of the First Age begins with the first transit of the Sun across the sky, and in terms of the world, coincides with both the first awakening of Men in Middle Earth, as well as the arrival of the Noldor back in Middle Earth after swearing their fateful Oath. It runs nearly six centuries, with the Elves of the Noldor (not to mention the Elves in Middle Earth who had never come to Valinor in the first place) falling to Melkor and to each other, one tragedy after another, the ruin of the Elves as they had their Moby Dick quest to reclaim the jewels. (Sauron is also around in this period, as Melkor's most trusted and vicious lieutenant).

It finally ends when one of their descendants is able to make the until-then impossible voyage west back to Valinor, to beg the gods' forgiveness and aid. The Valar agreed, and so began the War of Wrath--the gods interceding in worldly affairs for one last time to bring Melkor back to Valinor in chains and lock him away forever (though Sauron evades capture).

The jewels are reclaimed/lost (earth/sea/sky), Melkor (Morgoth) is captured/taken back to Valinor and cast into the void forever, and the whole of Beleriand (the setting for the entire Silmarillion) is destroyed and sunk beneath the sea. Many of the Elves, repenting of their sins and those of their forefathers, forsake Middle Earth forever and return to Valinor with the gods. Others (ie Galadriel, Cirdan, Elrond) choose to remain for a time, but are granted the option of sailing west to join the rest of their kin in Valinor--but they will never again be able to return to Middle Earth.

Second Age (3441 years)
                          The Second Age begins not long afterwards. Cirdan establishes the Grey Havens on the west coast of Eregion, which is only the "west coast" now due to the destruction and sinking of Beleriand in the War of Wrath. Men, granted the boons of health and extremely long life due to their valour during the First Age, found the island kingdom of Numenor. The Dwarves abandon their ancient (and largely ruined) cities in the western areas of Eregion and join Durin's folk in Moria. For most of the peoples of Middle Earth, it's a golden age of peace, prosperity, and learning.

And then after a thousand years, Sauron turns up. Pretending himself redeemed, he deceives the Elves, but some choose to work with him anyway because he has knowledge of magic that they don't. Celebrimbor, a descendant several generations removed from Feanor, forges 16 of the 19 Rings of Power with the help of Sauron, and the Three (the Elves' rings) he does alone. Sauron, in secret, forges the One Ring in Mordor to dominate the rest.

With the revelation of the One Ring, war begins. The Elves of Middle Earth hide the Three, and once again pick up arms to battle the darkness. Celebrimbor is killed, much of Eregion (the land that will later contain the Shire) is destroyed, Rivendell and a number of other Elf cities are besieged by Sauron's armies. Eventually the Elves turn the tide, and push Sauron's armies back to Mordor.

Off in the sea during this time, the Men of Numenor had become a seafaring people, who around this time began to land in Middle Earth, building colonies and cities on the mainland. But in their splendid isolation, Men had become prideful and arrogant. The rulers of Numenor had no use for followers of/believers in the Valar. Believing themselves the greatest peoples in the world and destined to rule (think American manifest destiny, but 10x as arrogant), they arrived in Middle Earth in force, and marched right up to Mordor to demand Sauron's surrender.

Beaten, but sensing an opportunity, Sauron surrendered. He was taken back to Numenor in chains, and, like his own master before him, spent his captivity whispering poison in the ears of his captors. Being already prideful and vain, the kings of Numenor listened, and were poisoned further. Now believing it their right to conquer and rule as they saw fit, the rulers of Numenor sailed ships west to land in the Undying Lands of Valinor and claim immortality for themselves.

At the end of the First Age, it had been expressly forbidden for any but the Elven exiles to ever set foot in Valinor, so the arrival of Men on the eastern shores was a sin of the highest order. Numenor was destroyed, sunken below the ocean, as punishment for their heresy. (Naturally, Sauron escaped somehow and made his way back to Mordor)

All the while though, there had been an undercurrent of the faithful among the Numenoreans, men who had never forsaken belief in the gods. This is the line of Elendil and his sons Isildur and Anarion, Men who escaped the destruction of Numenor and settled in Middle Earth. There they founded the kingdoms of Gondor and Arnor, reigning as mighty and just rulers. Many of the ancient monuments we see in LOTR are built in this era (ie the Argonath).

Back on the right side of justice, the Men of Middle Earth ally with the Elves and once again go to war with Sauron in the War of the Last Alliance, culminating in Sauron's defeat and the capture of the One Ring (we see this in flashback in the LOTR films). But Men's hearts are weak, and rather than destroy the Ring and end Sauron's existence forever, Isildur takes it as a prize.
                          Last edited by DigiFluid; 21 March 2019, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Third Age (3021 years)
                            As we know....not long after the defeat of Sauron, Isildur is slain and the Ring is lost. Eventually it's discovered by Smeagol, who is warped into the creature Gollum by its power and the longevity it gives him. The kingdoms of Men slowly fall into ruin, and the Elves, without purpose, stagnate. Around a thousand years into the Third Age, Sauron recoalesces enough to occupy Dol Guldur, casting a pall over the Greenwood, which comes to be known as Mirkwood. Out in Eregion, the terrifying Kingdom of Angmar is founded by a "Black Numenorean," who is eventually revealed as one of the Nazghul (their leader, the "Witch King of Angmar"), but eventually it fades. As Men, now kingless, fight amongst themselves, it's clear that their glory days are long past. Borders recede, relics (like the Palantirs) are lost. Eventually a plague sweeps Gondor, reducing its population significantly and ending their guard of Mordor, as they no longer have sufficient manpower to staff the watchposts they built there at the end of the last war (the Black Gate, the tower of Cirith Ungol where Sam and Frodo eventually get into Mordor, etc).

Across Middle Earth, everything is in decline. Elves, Men, and Dwarves become estranged as much due to distance as anything else, and the mistrust bred of isolation grows. Meanwhile, unchecked, the power of Sauron begins to grow again. Orcs appear again in Middle Earth for the first time in many centuries, not necessarily conquering territory, but attacking cities and just generally being a menace to anyone who crosses their path. As a check to the power of a Maiar (Sauron) once again threatening Middle Earth, the Valar send a group of Maiar into the world to shepherd the free peoples into challenging that evil--this is the arrival of the Wizards, around a thousand years into the Age.

Of course, out in the central area of Eregion, things are quiet. Far from the troubles of Mordor, Mirkwood, Gondor, and most of the Elves, the Shire goes about its business in isolation. The Hobbits prosper and live their happy, fat little lives, which is where we as the reader enter the story.

The Hobbit starts in the year 2941 of the Third Age. Bilbo's journey east, through the Misty Mountains and his encounter with Gollum in the caves, his coming into possession of the Ring, their journey through Mirkwood and out to the Lonely Mountain, and the Battle of the Five Armies (the Arkenstone is just a fancy jewel, btw, nothing to do with the Silmarils in any way). In the background during these events, the White Council challenges and drives the "Necromancer" (Sauron) out of Dol Guldur, forcing him to flee to Mordor; this is where Gandalf disappears to when he takes off during The Hobbit. At this point the members of the White Council (Saruman, Gandalf, Galadriel, Elrond, Cirdan) finally realize that the "Necromancer," the dark presence that had been building for nearly two thousand years before their challenge, was actually Sauron returned to the world, and that a new war was inevitable--and coming very soon.

Little did they know that, in his heart, Saruman had already betrayed them and was planning to conspire with the dark forces.

40odd years later (3001 TA) is where Lord of the Rings begins, with Bilbo's 111th birthday party. Though the forces of evil continued to gain strength in the south and east in the interim, still nobody had any idea where the One Ring was, so the Shire went utterly unnoticed. Bilbo leaves to spend his remaining days with the Elves of Rivendell, bequeathing the Ring to Frodo. Another 17 years pass (this is not depicted in the films). And then the story of the Fellowship and the journey begins (3019 TA).

You know the story here so I won't repeat it. The Ring is destroyed, Sauron with it. Aragorn is crowned King of Gondor and Arnor as "King Elessar," with Arwen as his Queen. With the last of the evil gods destroyed and removed from the world, and their own power diminished (the destruction of the One Ring rendered the Three weak/useless), most of the Elves at this point choose to finally leave Middle Earth forever. Now it has become the world of Men.

The Third Age comes to an end (3021 TA) when the last Ringbearers--Elrond, Galadriel, Gandalf, Bilbo, and Frodo--board the ships at the Grey Havens and leave the mortal world. Bilbo and Frodo would be the last mortals ever given leave to enter the Undying Lands, in recognition of their great trials as bearers of the One Ring.

Tolkien...didn't like that England did not have its own creation myth in the way that so many other cultures did, so he set out to write his own. He liked to treat the Legendarium as though it's the mythology/legendary reality of the real world, and so he's quoted as saying that he thinks now (well, it was the 50s when he said it) is roughly the Sixth or Seventh Age. That has nothing to do with anything that was actually written, and trying to figure out what makes up a Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, and Seventh Age is mostly likely a fool's errand, but I think it's interesting just the same.

?? = Gods
                            Valaars = Gods in a corporeal form-ish, that'd be the God of Light which I don't recall his name and Melkor when he's walking Middle Earth? Wasn't that God of Light also not in mortal form at all, since he deemed it too evil or something?
                            Maiars = Angels (Gandalf, etc.)
                            Right, pretty close.

Like I said upthread, technically the Valar and the Maiar are the same "species." They were all Ainur when they lived in "Heaven" with Eru (God).

The first Ainur who came to the world were bound to it and granted the kinds of powers you and I would associate with ancient Greek gods--a god of water, a god of air, a smith god, etc. The Maiar are also Ainur who came to the world, they just came a bit later, and so they're not as powerful. They're still mighter/godlike to any flesh-and-blood creature, but here on Earth, they are 'lesser gods' than the Valar.
                            Last edited by DigiFluid; 21 March 2019, 11:14 AM.

Comment

....I wrote way too much, I had to split it across two posts

Comment

Working...
                              X