No announcement yet.

New Star Wars Trilogy in Works; TV Series Coming to Disney Streaming Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Star Wars Trilogy in Works; TV Series Coming to Disney Streaming Service

The never-ending franchise! New ‘Star Wars’ Trilogy in Works With Rian Johnson, TV Series Also Coming to Disney Streaming Service
    The writer-director will create a new trilogy set in the Star Wars universe and will write and direct the first installment, Lucasfilm announced Thursday. Ram Bergman, Johnson's longtime producer partner, will produce.

The new movies will be separate from the continuing Skywalker saga and "Johnson will introduce new characters from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored," according to the announcement.

During an earnings call Thursday, Disney CEO Bob Iger said in addition to the new trilogy, the Star Wars universe would be expanding with a live-action TV show, which would be available on a Disney streaming service, set to launch in 2019.

I wonder how much longer it will take for Disney to milk the franchise dry?
    I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

I'm not sure where the TV series talk is coming from -- the official press release on StarWars.com only talks about the new films.

Either way though, this is one hell of an endorsement of his work on The Last Jedi.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Good news!
        sigpic

Comment

Good news indeed.
          I hope they keep the current pace of 1 film per year, though. Disney has the means to do so, and if they're smart, they will. It will create a brand new tradition for the holiday season.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
            I'm not sure where the TV series talk is coming from -- the official press release on StarWars.com only talks about the new films.

Either way though, this is one hell of an endorsement of his work on The Last Jedi.
            One thing I do hope they do is borrow more heavily from the old EU. Rogue One is a prefect example of how using established lore actually works to benefit a film than scrapping it completely.
            By Nolamom
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
              I wonder how much longer it will take for Disney to milk the franchise dry?
              You're 40 years late with that comment.

Though it's also been a long time since there was a Star Wars to stomach. The prequels had lots of good ideas wasted on horrible execution. Ep7 proved that Star Wars can be made fun again, and Rogue One proved it doesn't explicitly need the Force or Jedi, but that it's perfectly possible to make good movies within the same universe.

Now all they need to do is up the originality (biggest flaw of Ep7) and do something about the pacing (the first third of Rogue One was very slow whereas the last third is among the best Star Wars there is), and we can have a perfectly fine movie.

Comment

Working...
              X