This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 8.1 Help - wireless button grayed out

My Mom and I have this laptop, use to be my Dad's and originally came with Vista 64-bit until he decided to put Windows 8 on it. Now this laptop was updated to 8.1 either by my dad the last time he used it or by me after his death, I can't remember which. A couple weeks ago when my Mom was trying to use it she had trouble logging into Windows but I have since fixed that thanks to my computers being on the cable modem. Sometime after fixing that, I found the wireless button in the change pc settings grayed out. The last time my Mom used the laptop without any problems the wireless was working fine. Is there anything I can do, excluding the BIOS and reinstalling the OS, to fix this?

Things I have tried in no particular order:
    • updating windows
    • troubleshooting, which I can do again since I can't remember if I did it before or after the Windows updates
    • went into safe mode to see if the button was not grayed out but I didn't find even find the button in the change pc setting > network

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Look in device manager or the Network adapters control panel. Does Windows even see the wireless hardware? In DM, there should be some sort of wireless card under Network Adapters. Be sure it's there, w/ no warning or caution markers.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
      Look in device manager or the Network adapters control panel. Does Windows even see the wireless hardware? In DM, there should be some sort of wireless card under Network Adapters. Be sure it's there, w/ no warning or caution markers.
      I checked the device manager > Network Adapters. There were two things there which had no warning or caution symbols on them.

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

Originally posted by planet_tv View Post
        I checked the device manager > Network Adapters. There were two things there which had no warning or caution symbols on them.
        What are they? Is your wireless card listed? And are there other items with warnings? Is your wireless hardware listed there?

Comment

A lot of laptops have a switch on one of the sides or sometimes in the front that can turn off the wireless, look for it (should have a wireless symbol next to it) and make sure it's turned on and even if it is I would switch it off and on again just to make sure it isn't stuck or something like that.

If that doesn't do it the next thing I would do is boot up and go into the bios and make sure it isn't disabled in it.

Comment

What are they? Is your wireless card listed? And are there other items with warnings? Is your wireless hardware listed there?
            The modem was listed and it had no caution or warning symbols on it.

Network Adapters
            • Intel (R) wireless wifi link 4965AGN
            • RealTek PCIe fe family controller

Other Devices (these two items had the caution triangle)
            • Base System Device
            • Base System Device

Originally posted by Visam View Post
            A lot of laptops have a switch on one of the sides or sometimes in the front that can turn off the wireless, look for it (should have a wireless symbol next to it) and make sure it's turned on and even if it is I would switch it off and on again just to make sure it isn't stuck or something like that.

If that doesn't do it the next thing I would do is boot up and go into the bios and make sure it isn't disabled in it.
            I will check for one the next time I'm on it. I will do the bios only as a last resort because I'm not comfortable doing stuff in the bios.

Comment

Take a look in services, and see if "WLAN AutoConfig" is running. If not, see if its set to run automatically, or why it can't start.

Comment

Take a look in services, and see if "WLAN AutoConfig" is running. If not, see if its set to run automatically, or why it can't start.
                The WLAN AutoConfig is running and set to automatic. I did look at the properties to see what other services it depends on and they where all working fine. I did go through the event viewer and found some errors mentioning this: The error code returned on failure is 651.

While doing all of that, I found the switch on the front of the laptop, moved it to the right and then wireless button was no longer grayed out so it's been fixed. My guess is the button got messed with/pushed to left at some point without knowing it.

Thanks to those who helped. If I do still have trouble with another issue, a cannot find msconfig issue, I will post back.

Comment

Working...
                X