Asgard gate in 2x16 Fifth Race episode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asgard gate in 2x16 Fifth Race episode

I was always a bit annoyed that they have never showed us a real Asgard gate in the Fifth Race when O'Neill arrives. I know that time the concept of different gatesystems probably hasn't existed. I was still wondering on this problem when the Atlantis started, because if O'Neill has gone to a different gate system in the Ida galaxy, then they should have updated this arrival scene. I always imagined a gate with purple chevrons and Asgard runes on it as glyphs.

So I was thinking to start a little contest where some talented SG fans could design an Asgard themed stargate where we could edit / remake those few seconds or modify at least a photo from that old episode. What do you think?

I was talking about these scene:
    https://www.gateworld.net/gallery/al...g1_215_726.JPG

I have found these on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0OTxnBHdrE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4SuhVmzY-c
    Last edited by Platschu; 31 October 2017, 03:28 AM.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

My personal headcanon fanwank is that the planet was somehow important to the Ancient/Asgard friendship (which is why repository-controlled Jack went there) and that they use a MW gate on that world in reverence of that friendship/in memory of their long-departed friends.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Just watched those YouTube videos you posted...some neat concepts there! I thought the first one had a bit too much extraneous crap built around the gate itself, but the digital ‘screen’ was really really cool! And the second one, I wasn’t big on the multiple stone rings, but the way they extend is a fun idea!
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I also liked the idea that the chevrons spin around the gate and not the gate's inner ring between the chevrons.

Talking about the different gate systems. I also envisoned Adria's arriving in these scene as she steps through the Ori "stargate" in Ark of Truth:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoV5SZrhZlo
        So the Ori gates would be oval withouth chevrons and the wormhole is yellow instead of blue.

Anyway I miss the show badly.
        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
          My personal headcanon fanwank is that the planet was somehow important to the Ancient/Asgard friendship (which is why repository-controlled Jack went there) and that they use a MW gate on that world in reverence of that friendship/in memory of their long-departed friends.
          I think the Asgard simply didn't bother with gate travel and used their ultrafast starships in stead. Especially since they were already short on manpower anyway and Gates are a huge weakness against the Replicators.

Comment

Just watched those YouTube videos you posted...some neat concepts there! I thought the first one had a bit too much extraneous crap built around the gate itself, but the digital ‘screen’ was really really cool!
            I really like that first one too. Interesting idea with the chevrons moving around the Gate like that. Also loved that digital screen. That would have been really cool to see!
            sigpic
            Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

I always assumed that they just took or were given a Milky Way gate for quick travel to the Milky Way. What purpose would the Ancients have for constructing and distributing an entire gate system (let alone a unique one) in a galaxy that, as far as we know, they never inhabited? The gate systems were supposed to be for their use, not to make it easier on random aliens to grow and expand.

Sure, they automatically seeded a lot of uninhabited (by them) galaxies via seed ships but that was for a down the line purpose, the gates couldn't be used by someone without a mobile DhD, and they are not durable so it's likely that all but a small number (in terms of the universe's overall size) of galaxies in front of and behind the Destiny still have functional gates.

And also, sure, they could have gifted the Asgard with a gate system but given that the Asgard civilization is supposed to only be 100,000 years old, this suggests that the four met around 10,000 years ago, after the Ancients returned to Earth and some left through the Stargate to (with the exception of Janus) parts unknown. That group didn't have enough technology to rebuild their civilization, so I don't see them building an entire gate system from scratch for someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
                And also, sure, they could have gifted the Asgard with a gate system but given that the Asgard civilization is supposed to only be 100,000 years old, this suggests that the four met around 10,000 years ago, after the Ancients returned to Earth and some left through the Stargate to (with the exception of Janus) parts unknown. That group didn't have enough technology to rebuild their civilization, so I don't see them building an entire gate system from scratch for someone else.
                I said "gate" (singular), not "gate system"

I also strongly disagree with the idea of the Alliance happening in the last 10,000 years. That would completely contradict some pretty significant plot points from over the years, to the point that I don't believe that's workable in the slightest.

Comment

I said "gate" (singular), not "gate system"
                  I know. I was agreeing with you that it was an important single gate and then went on to support why I thought it was a single gate as opposed to one gate in an Ida system of gates. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I also strongly disagree with the idea of the Alliance happening in the last 10,000 years. That would completely contradict some pretty significant plot points from over the years, to the point that I don't believe that's workable in the slightest.
                  Such as? The only reason I recall to originally think that it was 5-10+ million years ago (as I previously used to) was the Asgard comment that the Ancients left this part of space a long time ago by way of explaining what happened to them. This was reasonably assumed to refer the Ancients fleeing to Pegasus galaxy but it also makes sense that the group of Ancients who left Earth through the Stargate 10,000 years ago formed the alliance before leaving and are or were out there somewhere.
                  Last edited by Xaeden; 05 November 2017, 12:12 PM.

Comment

The Asgard have been significantly nerfed and retconned in the last few seasons of SG1. While originally clearly intended to be on the level of the Ancients, in the end they just became Worf'd to show how awesome and amazing the Ancients were compared to them, even though initially there was no reason to believe they were any weaker.

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
                    Such as?
                    The Last Tribe reveals that the Asgard were aware of the Ancients in pegasus and even had contact with them. Yet Tantalus showed communication via elements, which would be completely useless if they already knew each other back then.
                    Last edited by thekillman; 09 November 2017, 02:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                      The Last Tribe reveals that the Asgard were aware of the Ancients in pegasus and even had contact with them. Yet Tantalus showed communication via elements, which would be completely useless if they already knew each other back then.
                      Fair point. It's possible, though, that the rogue Asgard never communicated with the Ancients, preferring instead to avoid making their presence known and it was only this group that knew of Pegasus. It's also worth noting that both Sg-1 and Atlantis do not consistently represent language difficulties. They would reference a language barrier when it was important to a single episode's story. All other times they will ignore it completely. For example, there are references to the Goa'uld's language, including during "The Summit" where Daniel is recruited by the Tok'ra to insert himself into the meeting of System Lords because he can communicate in their tongue. This brings up a host of inconsistencies, however, because language is purposely not consistenly applied. It's therefore not the best gauge of what is what in Stargate.
                      Last edited by Xaeden; 11 November 2017, 03:45 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the answers, guys. It sounds logical that there is no gate network in the Ida galaxy and this was their only stargate.

Comment

Working...
                        X