Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shorter Season 2018 Announced = More Episodes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shorter Season 2018 Announced = More Episodes?

G'day,

It was announced the other day that in 2018 Doctor Who's format will change to 10 x 50 minute episodes (plus Xmas??).

When WHO returned in 2005 it featured 13 x 45min episodes, plus the Xmas special - 14 episodes - which lasted for the first 4 years. After that, showrunner RTD was by all accounts completely burnt out, and as such we then had only 2 stories, plus the 2 part Xmas/New Year story in 2009. The 11th Doctor started with 2 "full" seasons, however one was split with a 3 month break. The next season was also split - but this time with a 6 month break, spreading the season over 2 years - likely due to Moffat's Sherlock commitments (and likely a factor in Smith's departure as Doctor). When Capaldi stepped into the Doc's shoes, it was with 1 less episode per year for 2 seasons, before Sherlock again interrupted, with zero episodes in 2016 (except for the Xmas special). His final season also comprised 12 episodes, plus the upcoming special.

As such, although a "season" has typically comprised 13-14 episodes, on average we've only seen around 10 episodes each year.

The move to 5 minute longer episodes, with 2-3 less per season, one can only hope, is an attempt to increase the likelihood of producing Doctor Who year-in year-out, without the long absences and short seasons. Certainly, IMO, it would be better to have a "full" season every year, because I saw in my children their reduced interest after 2016's abysmal lack of new episodes, and remember my own disappointment with Tennant's fizzled last season.

cheers

cosmic
    Last edited by cosmichobo; 30 October 2017, 07:12 PM.
    back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
    "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
    "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
    and lots more!

also easier to spread the cost around. It's only getting more and more expensive as the years go by. The BBC isn't used to making such costly television until recently relatively speaking.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

One of their biggest costs is their acting talent, which I recall being a reason they were happy for Tennant to move on - he was getting expensive.

With less episodes comes less exposure. Depending how the season is structured (ie how many storylines) would have a big impact on cost, but they would also have to consider the merchandising - less stories, means less toys/etc to try cash in on.
      "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
      and lots more!

Comment

It's probably even worse. In the US, at least 50 min. episode won't fit into an hour with the current amount of time allocated to commercials. And they probably aren't going to cut the commercials. So in the US, at least, they're likely to cut the extra 5 minutes anyway, at least in reruns. They might cut it in first run, too.

Comment

Is WHO only shown on BBC America in America? I'd hope they wouldn't truncate it... though that's a very good point.

Here in Australia I expect the ABC (similar to BBC / PBS) will not cut anything.
          and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post
            Is WHO only shown on BBC America in America? I'd hope they wouldn't truncate it... though that's a very good point.
            Yes, that's it, at least for recent.

Comment

Just over a year later, and we're now advised that 2019 will not see a new season of Doctor Who - we have to wait until 2020.

There will be a special on New Years Day (1st of Jan, 2020), but then nothing until early 2020.

What I've also just heard, is that the 2020 season will be a short season - ie 4 - 6 episodes only.

The other rumour is that both Chibnall and Whitaker are going to leave, which would kind of match in with the idea of a shorter season - ala Tennant's finale.

Fun fun fun.

Meanwhile my kids interest in the show will diminish further with more time off air, and frankly I'm not that keen on watching more anyways - Not sure if it's the Doctor or the showrunner, but one of them has to go.
              and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post
                Just over a year later, and we're now advised that 2019 will not see a new season of Doctor Who - we have to wait until 2020.

There will be a special on New Years Day (1st of Jan, 2020), but then nothing until early 2020.

What I've also just heard, is that the 2020 season will be a short season - ie 4 - 6 episodes only.

The other rumour is that both Chibnall and Whitaker are going to leave, which would kind of match in with the idea of a shorter season - ala Tennant's finale.

Fun fun fun.

Meanwhile my kids interest in the show will diminish further with more time off air, and frankly I'm not that keen on watching more anyways - Not sure if it's the Doctor or the showrunner, but one of them has to go.
                Might be neither. Might be BBC itself. Doctor Who has been going longer between seasons and shorter seasons for a while now, and the audience keeps coming back. Their bean counters might be thinking "these idiots will keep watching no matter what", so they just do the minimum that they can.

Comment

Yes - someone called it the Sherlock Effect... huge audiences for Moffat's Sherlock, even though it's had a very sporadic time frame for its air dates / season lengths... so the BBC has learned - you don't need regular seasons to get viewers to tune in.
                  and lots more!

Comment

Working...
                  X