Star Trek Discovery so far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Trek Discovery so far

With Discovery now mid-season, here are my thoughts.
    • I'm still not sure whether it lives up to the Star Trek name. There's been not much mystery, exploration or feeling of wonder which I think is the staple of Star Trek. Even the social/ethical commentary feels forced. I was looking forward to the optimism, the technological wonders, and the inevitable reflection of the strengths and weaknesses of our society in microcosm yet again, but feel underwhelmed so far.
    • The characters are not memorable and I don't feel a connection with them yet.
    "You don't know half of it".
    Former C.I.A. Director George Bush
    (When asked about UFO secrecy by a member of his presidential campaign committee)

Someone on twitter explained their feelings well. A lack of exploration, discovery, science, diplomacy etc.
    "You don't know half of it".
    Former C.I.A. Director George Bush
    (When asked about UFO secrecy by a member of his presidential campaign committee)

Comment

I was feeling some of this up until the last two episodes. Both Choose Your Pain and Lethe really have much more of a Star Trek feel to them. The crew seem to be acting more like an ensemble and there was some great character development. Yes there's not much in the way of Science and Exploration but that is not always what Star Trek is about. Star Trek is about bringing modern day problems and translating them into a fictional setting for analysis and I do feel this is something that Discovery does really well with its main story line and seems to be starting to with its episodic ones too.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Overall I like it a lot, and glad there is something new of Star Trek to watch on TV. I find the show way better that the new movies, by far. However one thing that is a disspointment is that it is supposed to take place before Star Trek the original series, however the technology seems even more advanced than it was on shows like TNG and Voyager. Thats is the only thing I do not like about it, it seems the further we go back in time the better technology gets. Makes no sense. Just because they have all this new CGI and better props, computers etc. they are abusing it to the extreme to give it a wow factor - sadly that is all that the mainstream cares about nowadays.

Comment

Working...
        X