Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desensitised to onscreen death

G'day,

I just watched the end of Season 4 of Orange is the New Black. Withing going into details... a main character dies. I watched, seeing the character kind of whimpering a little, with mostly wide / mid shots only... and actually was rather surprised when her death was confirmed by another character's cries of anguish - originally figured she was just going to need to go off to the medbay...

Now - Abraham's death... Glenn's death... They were real death scenes. No doubts there. No consideration of whether medbay could save them!

But this death? I actually said to my wife that I felt they underplayed it, didn't sell it hard enough. Could have put a bit more into it to really convey the gravity involved.

Me wonders if Walking Dead is desensitising me...

cheers

cosmic
    back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
    "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
    "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
    and lots more!

Really! Episode 701 was f*****g traumatic. I don't even mean the gore, but the fear, the terror, the grief--the whole episode was just wrenching.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post
      G'day,

I just watched the end of Season 4 of Orange is the New Black. Withing going into details... a main character dies. I watched, seeing the character kind of whimpering a little, with mostly wide / mid shots only... and actually was rather surprised when her death was confirmed by another character's cries of anguish - originally figured she was just going to need to go off to the medbay...

Now - Abraham's death... Glenn's death... They were real death scenes. No doubts there. No consideration of whether medbay could save them!

But this death? I actually said to my wife that I felt they underplayed it, didn't sell it hard enough. Could have put a bit more into it to really convey the gravity involved.

Me wonders if Walking Dead is desensitising me...

cheers

cosmic
      See I know the scene you're talking about in OITNB and I found it pretty horrific and tough to watch because it was so real. So yeah I think you're getting desensitised.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Working...
      X