Stargate/ Dark Matter crossover ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate/ Dark Matter crossover ideas

I saw this and thought it deserved its own thread considering what a big deal it was.
    What story would have you liked to seen for a dark matter stargate cross over and which stargate team would have you liked to seen do the cross over.

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
    https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...ate-crossover/

October 12, 2017

Photo: Joe Mallozzi, Ivon Bartok, David Reed

In truth, pretty damn close.

So often, you’ll hear stories long after the fact. Like how Apple almost brought Stargate: SG-1 back for an iTunes exclusive 11th and final season. Or how Canada’s Space Channel attempted to save Stargate: Universe. But in this case, the events are fairly recent – a last ditch effort to save Dark Matter spearheaded by some old friends. An effort that, had it been successful, would have seen characters from the world of Stargate crossover into the Dark Matter universe. Or, technically and creatively, vice-versa. I kid you not.

Not long after word broke of the syfy cancellation, we had several interested parties reach out to us. One of the most intriguing of them was was MGM, my former home for 12 glorious years while I was working on the Stargate franchise. They loved the show. They were aware of the fanbase. And they recognized a great opportunity.

Over the course of a week, with the window of opportunity to save the show growing narrower, I had several long and involved conversations with Simon Graty (EVP & GM Domestic Networks at MGM Studios), Kieran Dickson (Editorial Director at MGM), and Jenny Stiven (Consultant, Digital/Social Strategy & Content, Influencer Marketing). The plan, if successful, would have seen Dark Matter’s fourth season premiere on MGM’s streaming platform, Stargate Command, alongside the upcoming Stargate: Origins series. Perhaps equally intriguing was the prospect of doing some sort of Dark Matter/Stargate crossover that would rev up the fanbase in advance of further original Stargate programming down the road.

The two things working against us were time and existing contracts, the latter which proved our undoing. BUT we came so close –

To a fourth season of Dark Matter.

To a sci-fi crossover for the ages.

Ultimately, we weren’t successful, but I want to thank MGM, and especially Simon, Jenny, and Kieran, for reaching out and trying to make it happen.

Today, Ivon and I caught up with a couple of the individuals who orchestrated that attempted 11th hour save (Jenny and Kieran), as we sat down with them, and Gateworld’s David Reed, for late lunch and three hours of reminiscing about the old Stargate days.

Watch for our interview, and many more, coming to Stargate Command.

That sounds like it would have been silly. They can't exist in the same continuity. I guess they could do some weird alternate universe thing, but both shows already have their own alternate universes.
    "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
      That sounds like it would have been silly. They can't exist in the same continuity. I guess they could do some weird alternate universe thing, but both shows already have their own alternate universes.
      In stargate that say that the possibilities and infinite when it comes to alternate realities so I don't see why not

Comment

The number of alternate realities are infinite but the technological and scientific possibilities would all be the same. I have yet to watch Dark Matter, but I would assume they present a different interpretation for what is scientifically possible. That would be one problem.

Another is the point of divergence. You can have an alternate Stargate reality where humans got into deep space on their own without the assistance of alien technology. One of the reasons for this could even be that the Goa'uld don't exist. It cannot, however, be because the Ancients didn't exist since humans only exist in the Stargate universe because of their actions. So for the universes of Stargate and Dark Matter to legitimately be each other's alternate reality, there needs to be some sign of a shared history. One can make something up about how, in the Dark Matter universe, an ascended being took away all the Stargates and Ancient technology and while that (and the no Goa'uld thing) would cover the most obvious differences, you should still be able to find that there is no way to rectify certain inconsistencies.

That means it would be just a dumb fan service/promotional thing like having the X-men meet the crew of the Enterprise. If there's not going to be some editorial control to make sure every kitchen sink idea is thrown together regardless of consideration for internal consistency and logic we might as well just spend our time reading fan fiction.

Comment

Working...
        X