X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avatars, Signatures and other Images: Rules, guides and questions

UPDATED February 2021!

Hi everyone.

With the recent site-wide redesign of the main site(s) and Forum,and change of templates we've been able to set new limits on Custom (personal) avatars and signatures.

New parameters are 160 pixels x 160 pixels and a File size limit of 48.8 KB (whichever is smaller).
    Quite an increase in size,and should really raise the definition of your art and avatars. Enjoy!

GateWorld 3.0 New avatar size limits.JPG

Also, as of 2021 all members are now invited to upload a custom avatar. You can do this after verifying your e-mail address on your account.

("Preset" forum avatars are on the to-do list to be fixed. If they look fuzzy, that's because the automated resizer overstretched old uploads to the 160px x 160px limit. We'll be offering a batch of new 160x160 Stargate avatars for you to choose from.)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Signatures:

Before 2017 the limit for the contents of your signature was 700px x 200px and a file limit of 100KB.

New limits: 760px (width) x 180 px (depth) for an uploaded signature image, and a file limit of 200KB.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Images and animated .gifs in posts/VM etc

No change to the previous limitations.
    That means a width limit of 700 pixels and a file size limit of 100KB per image/gif.

Please do not requote images in posts unless you can change the img tags to url code. Also,hotlinking directly from other sites or anywhere else without the owners' permission is still not allowed.
    There's a fuller description in Tame's 2008 Announcement which sits at the top of every forum section.

If clarification is needed, or you're having a problem resizing your pics, avatars and sig, ask in this thread and we'll do our best to help. If non-mods can offer assistance too, please do so!

Other very useful threads for help with art: MEMBERS helping MEMBERS and Artwork for All - challenges, graphics, tutorials
    Last edited by Darren; 03 February 2021, 01:42 PM. Reason: Updated with new 2021 info
    The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Thanks for the info, Baggie
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks!

The sigbox is actually a work in progress till Darren can check it out and edit the vbb etc.

Can some of you test the uploader please to see if your sigpic comes out properly?

Comment

Ok, I tried uploading a jpeg sig that I had resized to the new dimensions and the uploader downsized it from 750 x 200 to 675 x 180.
        Last edited by SeaBee; 10 October 2017, 08:55 AM.
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks for testing it out.

Definitely something up with the resizer.

Comment

Thanks for the info
            It's good to know

Comment

howdy peeps, i have returned after a long break.

erm my sig banners don't seem to work, my signavatar acct is still active all the banners are there but they don't appear and rotate here on GW. Can anyone help me please
              sigpic
              JPJ = John's PuddleJumperJPJ: pssss Lorne I'm a 60%er!
              Major Lorne/Kavan Smith Thunk Thread, Lorne Whumpage Thread, Crazy Alternate Universe Thread, My ff.net account
              Banner sigs :- Shanthaia, CKO, Smurfettethatdoesnotshare, Fenrir Foxz, Kali1, SciFiSGFan and others

Comment

Originally posted by John's PuddleJumper View Post
                erm my sig banners don't seem to work, my signavatar acct is still active all the banners are there but they don't appear and rotate here on GW. Can anyone help me please
                Welcome back!

You need to upload your banner onto Gateworld like so...

1. Go to My Profile. Link is at the top of the page on the right, next to Gateworld in the banner at the top.
                2. On your profile page, you see a menu on the lefthand side of the page where you have many different options to choose from. Choose Edit Signature.
                3. Scroll a little down on the signature page, and you'll find an option to Upload Signature Picture. You can choose to enter a link (I tried yours and it works) or upload an image from your computer.
                4. After you click Upload, the [sigpic] will be visible in the editor box. You may alter the text there too if you wish.
                5. Hit Preview signature when you want to check how the result will look once you hit Save signature
                6. That's it, you're done!
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Hi FH!

Thanks it's good to be back! I still love Lorne!

All my sigs on signavatar and should rota, will what you sent me do that please?

Thanks
                  sigpic
                  Major Lorne/Kavan Smith Thunk Thread, Lorne Whumpage Thread, Crazy Alternate Universe Thread, My ff.net account
                  Banner sigs :- Shanthaia, CKO, Smurfettethatdoesnotshare, Fenrir Foxz, Kali1, SciFiSGFan and others

Comment

Originally posted by John's PuddleJumper View Post
                    All my sigs on signavatar and should rota, will what you sent me do that please?
                    I don't know. But there are other people with animated signatures so I would say "yes".

Comment

No, sigs no longer rotate, they're static. The rotating signatures disappeared quite a few years ago. Some animation is AFAIK allowed, as long as the file size doesn't exceed the 100k limit.

Here's a thread to explain the change:Change to the hosting of sigs
                      Last edited by maneth; 20 August 2018, 07:10 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Ah, my mistake...

Comment

thanks maneth, i'll give it a go

Originally posted by maneth View Post
                          No, sigs no longer rotate, they're static. The rotating signatures disappeared quite a few years ago. Some animation is AFAIK allowed, as long as the file size doesn't exceed the 100k limit.

Here's a thread to explain the change:Change to the hosting of sigs
                          sigpic

Comment

I was wondering about custom avatar. So I got to make a ton of regular posts to get a right at a custom avatar?
                            Hello
                            I like Daniel. Why is there not a simple heart emoji? I got a crush on Daniel. I think I always did.

Comment

Roughly 2000, keep posting
                              sigpic
                              ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                              A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                              The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Working...
                              X