• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Far From the Tree (303)

Visit the Episode GuideSUPERGIRL - SEASON THREE
    FAR FROM THE TREE
    EPISODE NUMBER - 303
    When J'onn receives a telepathic summons from M'gann he and Supergirl travel to Mars, where the White Martian resistance movement needs his help getting through to a Green survivor -- J'onn's own father. Maggie reaches out to her estranged father on the eve of her wedding shower.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 26 October 2017, 09:00 PM.

This was almost like watching the same show twice.

Spoiler:
    In "super" world, J'onn encounters his father, and the father doesn't want to accept him at first because J'onn fled to Earth, something he couldn't accept his son would ever do.

In "emo" world, we have Maggie encountering her father, who rejects her because he couldn't accept Maggie being gay.

Really, it was like two shows mashed together. At least they kept them separate, you could make a snack run or something while the emo parts were on and not miss anything important to the "super" story.

Comment

They did their damndest to bash (IMO) into our faces, parents who reject what their kids do are wrong/bad/evil, regardless of WHY the parent rejects what the kid does..

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
        They did their damndest to bash (IMO) into our faces, parents who reject what their kids do are wrong/bad/evil, regardless of WHY the parent rejects what the kid does..
        I appreciated that he made the attempt to accept Maggie by showing up at all, but that was negated by how he responded in their argument after he left the party by making it all about him. If he had just said "I'm sorry. I tried, but I can't handle this" rather than the rant he went on, I would have been OK with it.

Comment

Okay the Kara driving into the evil White Martian den to Britney is one of the funniest things on the show so far We get a glimpse of the old Kara/Supergirl. Thasnk goodness the pity party has ended. The Supergirl/Martian part of the show was the best thing about this season so far. Still don't have faith in these writers however so I won't get too excited just yet that the show is getting back to being good.

Just disappointed I didn't get to see my Lena though
          sigpic

Comment

That scene with Maggie's dad going on about them building a wall to keep them out was very odd in this Supergirl who has a completely different president, an Alien president no less. It made no sense whatsoever. Was that the writers trying to be smart but ending up looking stupid?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
              That scene with Maggie's dad going on about them building a wall to keep them out was very odd in this Supergirl who has a completely different president, an Alien president no less. It made no sense whatsoever. Was that the writers trying to be smart but ending up looking stupid?
              It could be that, but Cat took some shots at the Speaker of the House during one of her press conference clips in the first episode. Maybe it's Congress pushing for the wall instead of the President on that Earth.

Comment

Originally posted by Starsaber View Post
                It could be that, but Cat took some shots at the Speaker of the House during one of her press conference clips in the first episode. Maybe it's Congress pushing for the wall instead of the President on that Earth.
                That was 2 weeks ago. I can't remember that far back
                sigpic

Comment

That was 2 weeks ago. I can't remember that far back
                  To be fair, I had to be reminded of that by a review I watched.

Comment

To be fair, I had to be reminded of that by a review I watched.
                    Ah right
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                      This was almost like watching the same show twice.

Spoiler:
                      In "super" world, J'onn encounters his father, and the father doesn't want to accept him at first because J'onn fled to Earth, something he couldn't accept his son would ever do.

In "emo" world, we have Maggie encountering her father, who rejects her because he couldn't accept Maggie being gay.

Really, it was like two shows mashed together. At least they kept them separate, you could make a snack run or something while the emo parts were on and not miss anything important to the "super" story.
                      The reason it felt that way is because of how they are using Maggie. They are not using her to further the premise of the show, therefore scenes with her look out of place. She is underused, terribly underused. The only reason for her to be onscreen is to remind us that Alex is gay. That in itself isn't bad, but it is bad when you use the B plot for it in the sense that it does take you out of the super world.

Now genre shows have done these sort of B plots, but it has worked and rather well. I just think the writers are overreaching and haven't quite figured out how to go about righting these type of B plots.

I appreciated that he made the attempt to accept Maggie by showing up at all, but that was negated by how he responded in their argument after he left the party by making it all about him. If he had just said "I'm sorry. I tried, but I can't handle this" rather than the rant he went on, I would have been OK with it.
                      I was quite confused with his argument. I really don't buy it.

The problem here is that this isn't related to the show's premise...unless they deal with the fact that Superman, Supergirl, and Manhunter are illegal aliens. Unless they registered already?
                      Did they pass that law? So where would that leave human illegal aliens? Sorry you're human so no amnesty for you?

Maybe they should hire a writer that has experience writing in political shows...

I found that to be a funny tidbit and had it been anyone else other than Cat saying it,
                      it would have been cringeworthy.
                      By Nolamom
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X