Continuity tie-ins and references in Discovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
    So I was looking up some Discovery stuff and came across a novel that's already been written that serves as a prequel of sorts and clearly establishes that Pike is still out there in command of the Enterprise. Memory Alpha notes thusly:

The uniform thing actually almost makes a strange sort of sense. After all the TOS uniforms are unlike anything else we ever see in star trek and the only ships we really encounter in TOS are Constitution class. However there is the stumbling block of how the Dress uniforms appear and how starbases in the TOS also wore the same uniforms.
    Yeah I've read it. It doesn't address the starbase thing, but otherwise it has a very interestingly TOS flavour to it. Captain Pike, Number One, and Lieutenant JG Spock all feature heavily. The "cast" of the book is essentially those three on the Enterprise and Georgiou/Burnham/Saru on the Shenzhou, with a few 'guest stars' thrown in.

It wasn't the best Trek I've ever read, but I did like how well it married together the two disparate shows.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I’ve been unable to rewatch the last few episodes, but I did grin last night when Saru asked the computer for a list of notable/decorated captains and it listed:

Robert April - This was the first captain of the Enterprise, before even Pike. He previously appeared in the animated series episode “The Counter-Clock Incident”
      Jonathan Archer - Of course, captain of the NX Enterprise in the TV series “Enterprise”
      Matthew Decker - Captain of the USS Constellation, who previously appeared in TOS’s “The Doomsday Machine.” Matt Decker was also the father of Stephen Collins’s character Will Decker, captain of the Enterprise at the start of “The Motion Picture”
      Philippa Georgiou - Captain of the USS Shenzhou in this series’s premiere
      Christopher Pike - Captain of the Enterprise at this point in the timeline. Pike previously appeared in TOS’s original pilot, “The Cage” (set two years prior to Discovery), and again in the TOS two-parter “The Menagerie.” He’s also appeared in the reboot continuity, where he is played by actor Bruce Greenwood
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        I’ve been unable to rewatch the last few episodes, but I did grin last night when Saru asked the computer for a list of notable/decorated captains and it listed:

Robert April - This was the first captain of the Enterprise, before even Pike. He previously appeared in the animated series episode “The Counter-Clock Incident”
        Jonathan Archer - Of course, captain of the NX Enterprise in the TV series “Enterprise”
        Matthew Decker - Captain of the USS Constellation, who previously appeared in TOS’s “The Doomsday Machine.” Matt Decker was also the father of Stephen Collins’s character Will Decker, captain of the Enterprise at the start of “The Motion Picture”
        Philippa Georgiou - Captain of the USS Shenzhou in this series’s premiere
        Christopher Pike - Captain of the Enterprise at this point in the timeline. Pike previously appeared in TOS’s original pilot, “The Cage” (set two years prior to Discovery), and again in the TOS two-parter “The Menagerie.” He’s also appeared in the reboot continuity, where he is played by actor Bruce Greenwood
        I like how the computer automatically listed the captains in alphabetical order.
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Fun theory I came across today:

https://www.inverse.com/article/3782...orwnell-theory

Comment

That is pretty genius. I'd love that to be the case.
            Lethe in the episode does describe her former self as violent and hateful so the Admiral could easily have gone off the rails after her experiences.

In that same note as well I kinda hope we see Garth of Izar at some point. And Robert April.

Comment

And finally we know what the Discovery constitution class looks like. Albeit only roughly.

Comment

I really hope they show it. I’d love to see how they make it look!

Comment

I really hope they show it. I’d love to see how they make it look!
                  Well there are only five episodes left and the amount of effort they've gone into to make Discovery blend in (and the detail in those frankly awesome looking new uniforms) gives an impression that they'll be there a while so maybe that's the set up for the finale.

Comment

GW should open the threads for the new ST episodes.
                    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                      GW should open the threads for the new ST episodes.
                      I've been waiting for them to ALL DAY!

Comment

Anyone notice the little (possibly unintentional) visual nod to 'the cage' in the finale episode when the camera moves through the top dome of the Discovery to show the bridge in the same way we first see the bridge of the enterprise in the unaired pilot?

Comment

Ha ha, I meant to do this thread all season long but completely forgot about it

Comment

Working...
                          X