• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battle at the Binary Stars (102)

Visit the Episode GuideSTAR TREK: DISCOVERY - SEASON ONE
    BATTLE AT THE BINARY STARS
    EPISODE NUMBER - 102
    When the Klingons orchestrate a shooting war with Starfleet the Shenzhou finds itself front-and-center. In the wake of the battle Captain Georgiou and Commander Burnham find a way to strike back at the enemy.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 27 September 2017, 10:10 AM.

Very entertaining! Not at all surprised at [character 1]'s death, given that [they] are a pretty good-sized (read: probably expensive) name. But the death of [character 2] was a little surprising, and perhaps a little disappointing. I thought [they] would have a big role to play as the season played out.

I suppose I shouldn't judge based on my own assumption though, they've had a very long time to work this story out and I'm sure it wasn't done without reason.

Bit of an odd place to end the episode though. Makes the 2-ep premiere feel like it would be...kind of the backstory we'd see spool out via flashbacks and character development, in another series. It'll be interesting to see how they can turn this around quickly enough for it not to drag, but not so quick as to be unbelievable.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I thought the first 2 episode were great but also disappointing. It didn't feel like I was watching star trek, felt more close to the recent trek films. I think the most disappointing bit about it is the recent tv series the oriville feels more like trek then this did. I hope that this is just because it's the pilot episodes but we'll see.

Comment

Loved both episodes. This is Star Trek BACK. Definitely had a modernised TOS feel about it. And the idea of the Klingons intentionally seeking war in order to stop what they felt was an attack on their cultural identity by the federation makes perfect sense.

The only thing I wasn't that fond of was how the Shinzhou's spaces seemed too big. There didn't seem to be too many decks and typically starfleet ships still have that feel of functionality too them (unless you're a tactical officer who has to go through his entire shift standing up...) But as soon as the Captain mentioned it was an older ship at least the general styling made perfect sense.

As for what was said about it feeling like more of a backstory, that's apparently exactly what it was. The writers wanted to produce a two parter that served as a proper prologue to the show before introducing the series in force in episode 3. No doubt that's more or less to try and drag people into getting all-access... But I'm in the UK and watch it on Netflix so from the point of view of telling a story I still think it works.
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I couldn't watch this when it aired last night, so I signed up to the CBS All Access thing to watch it. So far I think this series is worth keeping that subscription, at least for the length of its run.

I thought the first episode started off a bit blah. Some of the acting/dialogue felt so stiff/wooden that it almost sounded like every character was a Vulcan. I also had some issues with the way things flowed, it felt a bit choppy so that sometimes it seemed like there were scenes missing to me. I thought that the story got interesting as the episode went on though, and the characters/actors seemed to get better towards the end of the first episode. By the second episode, I thought everyone sounded and acted more naturally and the story/episode seemed to flow a lot better. I really enjoyed the second ep and I'm looking forward to the rest of the season.
          sigpic

Comment

One thing that surprised me a bit that none of the Starfleet ships was a Constitution. Burnham's dialogue in part 1 placed this in May 2256, which puts it two years after The Cage, so the timing would be right for it.
            Last edited by DigiFluid; 25 September 2017, 04:14 PM.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Really not sold so far. A large portion of my problems with it would fly away if they just admitted this is a reboot and not prime universe.
              My other gripes are with the cinematography: shooting angles, lighting, etc. It's just another sci-fi series trying to be flashy, dark, edgy... and I'm so tired of that (praise The Orville!).
              The rebooted Klingons mostly fall in the first category of problems, but there's still one particular gripe: Given the extremely heavy makeup, it's obviously hampering anything the actors do. And that shows a lot. Long speeches in Klingon are usually much more entertaining than this.

Comment

Just watched the two-hour premiere and it was simply brilliant.
                Entertaining throughout the two hours.
                The two- hour premiere feels like a movie, TBH. Like a movie setup for a show.
                Of course they know not everyone would watch it on All Access, so they made sure it worked as a movie on its own, but still left us with a bit of a cliffhanger at the end to make sure we do.
                I've only watched TOS and its movies, so this feels close to home.
                Now, about the underlying messages, I like all those things about diversity even though they are everywhere on TV and movies right now.
                But there's another underlying message I don't really like, but let's not get into that.
                Definitely love this show and I see a lot of potential. Definitely gonna watch.

Edit: Forgot to mention something
                Spoiler:

Anyone noticed the mirroring similarities between Spock and Michael? They kinda threw it in our faces.
                I like how Sarek makes up for the loss of his only son to Starfleet by taking Michael as somewhat of a child of his who would take his teaching and to be more proud of.
                But still, that doesn't fell so Vulcan. I don't understand how he would have these feelings. I understand it when Spock does it coz he lived among humans, but how does Sarek have those Paternal feelings
                Last edited by Kilgharrah; 30 September 2017, 04:04 AM.

Comment

does the enterprise exist and who's it's captain?

Was disappointed they got rid of the MACOs from ENT.

Characters are pretty forgettable.
                  "You don't know half of it".
                  Former C.I.A. Director George Bush
                  (When asked about UFO secrecy by a member of his presidential campaign committee)

Comment

Why would you expect MACOs in the TOS era?

Comment

RE Missing scenes - Wasn't there major issues with getting this (presumably the full 2 parter) into the can? Re-shoots? Major rework on CGI... etc etc?

Could well explain any feeling of choppiness.

With regard to whether this is a reboot or not... The producers cannot ignore JJ Abrams reboot. It would be suicide. (There's only so many fans watching who also watched and cared about TOS... even TNG etc. This series is not aimed at you... it's aimed at the kids who watched JJ... though hopefully dialing back the ubiquitous explosions and dodgycam.) So, whilst this may be taking place before his movie/s, I think we can assume it's happening in that space.
                      back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
                      "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                      "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
                      and lots more!

Comment

Incorrect. The makers of this show have repeatedly said it is in the Prime timeline.

Comment

I don't have a hard time believing it's in the prime timeline. It feels more like TOS.
                          My only problem with this being in the prime timeline is technology.
                          For example,
                          Spoiler:
                          There is this scene when Michael is looking at a hologram screen. How can they be using this now and then 10 years later they revert to these 60s screen

Comment

Working...
                          X