Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My plea to the Community, pay and don't pirate.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tomaso88 View Post
    and you call yourself a stargate fan? The point is for anticipation or Origins and possible future stargate content, you're supporting the company and showing support by purchasing a subscription. Also this is only day one they still have further content being added such as new interviews and podcasts.
    you make it sound like being a true fan and not a true fan is distinguished by who is willing to pay the most money. Being a true fan however comes from you likeing something very much. When you know a lot of details about the characters and all and want to help spreading the word about it.

Let's just imagine someone grew up with Stargate, watched the shows on TV and read all about it they could have, maybe even have the DVDs but now has no job anymore or earns not much money, so they have to spend it on other things.

Those people are still fans and they spread the word and love the franchise, but what happens now with that paying for content is a punch in the faces of all fans who cannot afford that, or live outside the countries that have access. It is like the fans who don't have the coin are not worth to care about at all anymore, eventhough without fans who were there from the beginning, Stargate would not be as popular as it is today

I can show my support for something in other ways than supporting such a way of thinking, which is unfair and disappointing

This is not about who is the truest and biggest Stargate fan, this is about who has the money to spend it for that. Which makes me very sad

If they would make it free for everyone to watch there wouldn't be the need to pirate anything and they could reach more people. I am not saying it is right to steal, but I do understand the people who think about it, even if it may just be to show that they are not agreeing with that way of treating fans
    Last edited by DarkenLycht; 21 September 2017, 05:47 AM.

Comment

and you call yourself a stargate fan?
      Oh, you did not just open that can of worms...

The point is for anticipation or Origins and possible future stargate content, you're supporting the company and showing support by purchasing a subscription. Also this is only day one they still have further content being added such as new interviews and podcasts.
      While I have no doubt the original set-up was to use Origins like CBS is using Discovery to promote MGM's new digital platform. As far as Stargate Command goes, Origins has now been relegated to the backseat, especially since they can't be sure anymore when it'll be released (if it doesn't make the May 15, 2018 deadline, you can bet many who paid for the first 8 months are not going to be happy).

And while other content, new content is being added, I think you need to realize that a lot of us can't access that content so why would we bother with it in the first place then. MGM has already decided in our stead it doesn't want our money.

And really, everyone else, citizens of the 6 countries, can really make up to their own mind about this or spend as much money as it as they like. Doesn't make them any less a Stargate fan.

well they weren't lying, the whole reason they stopped the movies was because they couldn't profit due to pirating and MGM was going bankrupt, even just doing this site and origins shows they are dedicated to this, MGM doesn't exactly have money to throw around crazy right now.
      I think HBO with Game of Thrones has proven that piracy has literally no major influence on whether a broadcasting company goes bankrupt or not. Heck, it only made GoT more popular than ever.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

well they weren't lying, the whole reason they stopped the movies was because they couldn't profit due to pirating and MGM was going bankrupt, even just doing this site and origins shows they are dedicated to this, MGM doesn't exactly have money to throw around crazy right now.
        I haven't mattered to MGM in decades, hell since i don't have one of those fancy nielson boxes or whatever my local variant is, i haven't mattered in any demographic ever.

The DVD market had been declining for decades, because it sucks. It sucks to wait more than a year to get the same content as someone else. it sucks because it's expensive as hell (~50 bucks for a season). It sucks because spoilers are out worldwide within an hour of the episode airing. By the time i can buy a season over here, it's well documented, well spoilered, thoroughly discussed and the next theory is already going on.

It's a system that thoroughly sucks and has sucked for decades.

Comment

What TheKillman says.

Every word of it.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
            I haven't mattered to MGM in decades, hell since i don't have one of those fancy nielson boxes or whatever my local variant is, i haven't mattered in any demographic ever.

The DVD market had been declining for decades, because it sucks. It sucks to wait more than a year to get the same content as someone else. it sucks because it's expensive as hell (~50 bucks for a season). It sucks because spoilers are out worldwide within an hour of the episode airing. By the time i can buy a season over here, it's well documented, well spoilered, thoroughly discussed and the next theory is already going on.

It's a system that thoroughly sucks and has sucked for decades.
            So because it sucks, and you don't want to wait, that justifys breaking the law.. Interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
              So because it sucks, and you don't want to wait, that justifys breaking the law.. Interesting.
              That's not what killman said at all, he said nothing of obtaining SGO illegally.
              Stop projecting.
              sigpic
              ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
              A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
              The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Even if I had a need for this kind of service (I don't, since I have all the DVD's) I wouldn't pay for it for the simple reason that I do not believe this sort of thing should be encouraged at all.

If every franchise had its own service like Stargate Command the amount we'd have to pay would be near endless. Netflix and other similar services are fine because they offer a wide range of programs and genres. But for something like stargate, a show which has now been dead for many years, there simply isn't enough demand any more. The biggest fans have the DVD's already. And more casual viewers will just wait to catch reruns on tv. The notion of having a streaming service for stargate alone is simply unsustainable and not at all good business practice.

MGM in this case is making a knee jerk reaction to the likes of CBS all access (which I also believe will fail). It is not well thought out and far from saving stargate it is more likely to damage both MGM and the franchise.
                Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Wow, I've actually been very positively surprised the last few days about this forum.

I've been on here passively for years, mainly because there wasn't a lot to do about stargate lately. I became "active" mostly because of Origins.

But what surprises me here is that you can easily have a less positive opinion about something of the franchise and it's at least accepted here.
                  But also surprising: I have the impression that a lot of long-standing fans on here are as apprehensive about the "relaunch" as I am.

I'm also on the reddit stargate forum, but wow... Have the impression that there are a lot of die-hards there that don't accept any negativism about the franchise. I mean, I checked and I'm the most downvoted poster in all their threads about the new platform and origins lol.

Doesn't matter to me, for me gateworld is still the one and only stargate fansite, but being in my 30's myself, I sometimes can't help but wonder what the average age of the reddit users is, looking at the downvoting and some of the more "aggressive" posting over there.

Comment

Originally posted by DrMckay View Post
                    But what surprises me here is that you can easily have a less positive opinion about something of the franchise and it's at least accepted here.
                    Oh ... err... we've had our squabbles over the years though... Seen plenty of mod-action.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                      Oh ... err... we've had our squabbles over the years though... Seen plenty of mod-action.
                      Every infraction is a badge of honor
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                        In the years that i've downloaded the show, it wasn't illegal. Not where i live. They've changed it recently, but prior to that you just paid a flat fee for author's rights.

Comment

Working...
                        X