Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going to the Philippines in November, any tips are welcome!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to the Philippines in November, any tips are welcome!

Hey all,

So I've just done the crazy and booked a ticket to the Philippines for November, all by myself, just over 2 weeks. I don't have the first clue about the country beyond the most general info, and I will appreciate any tips - where to go, what to beware of, what to keep in mind, what can make my trip easier etc.

My interests: I am not a swimmer and I am less interested in beaches and surf and diving, more into nature, landscapes, culture, history and food. I am not going within a cannon shot of Mindanao for any reason whatsoever. I'm quite inexperienced as a trekker/hiker and this is officially my first ever trip to Asia unless a 23 hour layover in South Korea 8 years ago counts.
    If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

I have no first hand experience, but I recall reading that their criminal justice system is VERY strict and harsh. Do not flirt with the laws there.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
      I have no first hand experience, but I recall reading that their criminal justice system is VERY strict and harsh. Do not flirt with the laws there.
      THIS. Do some online searches for Phillipines laws, and pay HEED!

Comment

First the traffic. It can take up an hour to move less than 20 kilometers in the big cities.

Beware taxi drivers. A substantial percentage like to price gouge riders. They will ask where you are going and if not to their liking (not going in a direction they want, too short a distance) will refuse a fare. If they do take you they may try to negotiate the fare for which they will ignore the meter. A trip going strictly by the meter might be 150 to 200 pesos but they will try to ask at least twice, sometimes three or more times that before they start the trip. That's not counting the tip they will expect you to provide as well.

The official taxi stand at the airport uses zone charging with a set fee per zone. Every time you cross in to a new zone the fare will go up. Thus long journeys can be very expensive. To be fair all this is upfront and there is usually a chart showing the fare to the nearest major landmark or district in the zone you are traveling to.

You would be better off if you had an Uber account. If you don't most malls and high traffic areas there a these green kiosks marked Grab (a Southeast Asian regional equivalent of Uber) that can take you where you need to go. Grab (in the Philippines) uses primarily private cars though there are some taxis that are signed up as well. It is only Grab and Uber that operate here.
        No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
        It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

I use Uber in Israel but it functions here as a virtual taxi station with actual taxis, not private vehicles. I'm a little bit wary about private vehicles I guess. But I have an Uber account. (I pay with credit card through it though; I understand that in Manila even Uber is cash-based?).

I don't plan to spend much time in Manila. Most people I talked to treat it as a place where you land, sleep a night and move on to the places that are really interesting.

I am currently trying to read up about the local culture. Don't want to make any embarrassing screw-ups.
          If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post

I don't plan to spend much time in Manila. Most people I talked to treat it as a place where you land, sleep a night and move on to the places that are really interesting.
            So Manila is kind of "Vanilla"?
            I like Sharky
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Flyattractor View Post
              So Manila is kind of "Vanilla"?
              Well, it is one big megalopolis just like many others. It has its good points and its bad points. There are some good places to eat here, but as I'm not that plugged in to the local foodie scene I wouldn't know where they are.

There are also some interesting museums to visit but I'm not much of a museum goer.

As Womble plans to little time in the capital, most of hiking trails I know of all lead to waterfalls or swimming holes.
              No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
              It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Waterfalls sound interesting

I am becoming quite interested in the Bohol island. Apparently it has lots of interesting stuff to see and experience! Caves, animals, firefly river cruise, culture, everything!

Was thinking of going to see Vigan, but it's apparently a big headache getting there. Flight is expensive, and I don't fancy a 12 hour bus ride.

Comment

Originally posted by iiradned View Post
                  Well, it is one big megalopolis just like many others. It has its good points and its bad points. There are some good places to eat here, but as I'm not that plugged in to the local foodie scene I wouldn't know where they are.

There are also some interesting museums to visit but I'm not much of a museum goer.

As Womble plans to little time in the capital, most of hiking trails I know of all lead to waterfalls or swimming holes.
                  I can see that. I aint a Big City Guy Either.
                  I like Sharky
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X