Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jaffa costum for Halloween? Make it or buy it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jaffa costum for Halloween? Make it or buy it?

So who here's ever decided to dress up as a Jaffa or other 'alien from SGA/SG1/SGU' for halloween?
    Did you try and make the costume yourself?
    Did you buy it? If so, where from?

We don't celebrate Halloween, but depending on the costume it's fairly easy to make.

A Jaffa might be more expensive, depending on what kind you want to go with. But considering the jaffa on SG1 were wearing knitted sweaters underneath their rubber armor, I'd say it wouldn't be too hard to recreate. If you want to go all out, I suggest you start stocking up on EVA foam or yoga mats and start cutting.

Uniforms are probably the easiest since you can just raid a military supply store or if you have something lying around still -- all you would need is an SG1/A/U patch and you're good to go.

Edit:
    I know a guy who made a Horus guard head -- they don't come cheap.

My Sodan staff cost about 200 euro -- so if you buy, you pay the price. For a Halloween costume, it doesn't have to cost that much.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Yea, i was looking up costumes for horus guards and such for cosplayers and such, and at 2k a suit? Wow that's pricy as hell..

Comment

There's a French fan, I've seen a couple of times now at a local convention who owns a screen used Jaffa costume, and yes, if you want it to look pretty accurate you're going to have to rob a bank.

But there are plenty Jaffa outfits to choose from so you don't necessarily have to go with armor ones.

Comment

I think if you want a good looking costume, that looks like the "real" thing, you will have to pay a high price either buying it or making it yourself.

Personally, I rather would not dress up like that or in any other costume, if I cannot get it to look as close to the original as possible, and I do not have that money so I just don't

Comment

Making a Jaffa costume yourself sounds like a rather cool and very ambitious idea. I made a Wraith Queen costume for myself but that's comparatively easy once you have the face prosthetics. You can just buy the clothes and craft the details with whatever creative materials you have at hand; e.g. FIMO or similar. But for a Jaffa, I wouldn't even know where to begin. I'd definitely go for professional help. If you get a costume together for Halloween, please share some photos!

Comment

Oh yes, I'd like to see that as well if you get yourself one

Comment

Hmm.. Might just have to go with one of those 'robed monks' we saw on Chulak..

Now to see if i can find one of those gnarled staffs they had.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco-Stellaris View Post
                  But for a Jaffa, I wouldn't even know where to begin. I'd definitely go for professional help. If you get a costume together for Halloween, please share some photos!
                  You start with screencaps -- preferably high res to get all the details.

Then you check online whether someone else has already attempted what you're trying to do and read about their builds (cause they will have tips and tricks to get passed tricky parts).

Then you go to your local Walmart or hardware store, or search online for prop-stores, and buy lots and lots and lots of 5 to 10 millimeter EVA foam.

Print the patterns or draw them freehand: the shoulder pads, the skirt, the wrist bands, the boot-covers, the neck seal.

Put them on the EVA foam and start cutting. Then bending with your heatgun, and glueing with the gluegun (and burn your fingers at least every 5 minutes -- cursing is allowed).

Then seal and paint, add detail.

Find a black leggings, black/silver knitted sweater, and caterpillar boots you paint silver.

To finish it off, you can either buy a replica Zat or staffweapon. Or build your own in cardboard.

That's how you do it -- sorta.

I'm working on a C-3PO, and I did a cardboard alien gun build in a week (the gun used by Alex Danvers in Supergirl).

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                    Put them on the EVA foam and start cutting. Then bending with your heatgun, and glueing with the gluegun (and burn your fingers at least every 5 minutes -- cursing is allowed).
                    ^ I think every cosplayer can totally relate to the burning and cursing part.

And thanks for the detailed instructions! Though I've worked with EVA foam on small costume details, I've never considered building armor or a whole outfit from it. I might give it a try some time.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco-Stellaris View Post
                      ^ I think every cosplayer can totally relate to the burning and cursing part.
                      And also the "****, I can't let this go"-part... when you're in the process of burning those fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                        And also the "****, I can't let this go"-part... when you're in the process of burning those fingers.
                        as well as poking yourself with a needle, also not a good thing to do with your fingers. The worst is if you get some blood on the cloth you work on

Comment

Now that... I don't have happening, but plenty of blood drawn when cutting and using other sharp objects.

Comment

Well, I often helped my mom making costumes when I was younger, and my finngers got in the way now and than but I had that cutting problem as well.
                            Maybe it's best to just buy the materals and give them to a pro, saves you pain and cursing

Comment

Originally posted by Az'ryel View Post
                              Maybe it's best to just buy the materals and give them to a pro, saves you pain and cursing
                              No, that's half the fun of it, to say you have all done it yourself.

Besides, the more you do yourself, the more proud you can be of the result.
                              I wouldn't want my chainmail shirt made by anyone else but me. Ring by ring by ring by ring... well, no actually 4-in-1 by 4-in-1 by 4-in-1.

Comment

Working...
                              X