Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stargate Command site - Online streaming not available outside of the US?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Even a dumbed down version is better than nothing.

At least, those 5 other countries (cause the US is the 6th) have the actual choice whether to buy a ticket into all-access while 3/4 of the fanbase doesn't even get that.
    I can understand it being better than nothing, but it still feels like a bit of a slap in the face to pretty much everyone. If there are legal/business reasons why they can't have it available properly then there isn't much they can do about that, but at the moment it's all so unclear and there's been no attempt from them at explaining why it isn't the full service everywhere, if that's the case.

I just find it a bit absurd for them to go "This is the best place for Stargate! We're listening to the fans!" and then to have such a poor offering for everyone who isn't in the US. If it does end up with online streaming then that's awesome and i'll subscribe...but to have it only be for Mobiles/tablets just makes the whole thing seem like a complete waste of time to me.

Comment

Good news, the app is available outside of the 6 countries.
      Bad news, all-access is still restricted.

Semi-news -- could go either way -- stargatecommend.co is still not accessible (from Belgium).

Semi-news -- first look after downloading the app. I'm not a message/forum-person through an app on my phone. I actually don't have that many apps on my phone to begin with. I only have apps that I need for stuff (like falling asleep with the sound of crickets and owls, or averting panic attacks with the sound of waves and seagulls, or scanning barcodes at work to check whether they are correct, soundmeters to tell my colleagues to shut the hell up).

If this is the only way I can access Stargate Command -- I'm not going to bother. It's a very flashy website, but I need to be able to type lengthy posts on a keyboard not a touchscreen where I keep missing letters and where my poor motor functions are constantly challenged. Also FAQ isn't working so I still don't know what those stupid commandcoins are supposed to be for.

Edit:

Commandcoins are for bragging rights. The more you have, the active you are.
      You get them logging in, replying to comments, posting on the forum, doing quizzes and filling out polls.

The site is currently still offline, but I think it's only going to be used for streaming. As far as I can tell anyway. I tried blocking my IP and crashed my browser for a moment, to check if it was US only but it's just a general down-thing.
      Last edited by Falcon Horus; 20 September 2017, 11:02 AM.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Commandcoins are for bragging rights. The more you have, the active you are.
        You get them logging in, replying to comments, posting on the forum, doing quizzes and filling out polls.
        Yeah, but All my comments would be in the off topic section that doesn't give you coins
        sigpic
        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
          Yeah, but All my comments would be in the off topic section that doesn't give you coins
          LOL!

Unfortunately, I haven't found an Off-Topic section there cause it's a cluttered mess with no real sense of direction.

Gateworld, at least, has order!

Also, still can't access the website -- not with the www or without it. So it doesn't look like I'll be spending too much time on Command.
          Also peeved that the username was one character short for using "Heightmeyer's Lemming".

Comment

Went on the website briefly last night, didn't have a ton of time to check it out.

Currently, it is 10 hours (eastern time) into the day after "launch day" and there is still no sign of the SGC app on the Canada App Store. I have to say, this has been one of the poorer launches I've seen in recent memory.
            Last edited by DigiFluid; 21 September 2017, 06:59 AM.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Just signed up today for stargatecommand today and not very much works yet. My browser kicks me out of half the pages and takes ages to load for the pages that work. And yep, the forum's a mess. Hope that gets cleared up soon.

Not sure yet whether I'd want to pay for all access. It'd only be for watching SGO, I have everything else on DVD and don't stream anything. (I know, I'm a dinosaur. )

The site looks promising though. And also the fact that MGM invests again in the franchise is quite encouraging.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco-Stellaris View Post
                I have everything else on DVD and don't stream anything. (I know, I'm a dinosaur. )
                Same here, I'm as well a dinosaur

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                  Currently, it is 10 hours (eastern time) into the day after "launch day" and there is still no sign of the SGC app on the Canada App Store. I have to say, this has been one of the poorer launches I've seen in recent memory.
                  Apparently Apple stores have to approve the app -- and it's still going throught approval stages.
                  Last I heard anyway -- could have been approved already, I don't know.

I finally managed to access the website, and it's freakin' forum disaster. A chaotic mess of posts, likes and comments. No order or neatly ordered subjects like what an actual forum is supposed to look like. It looks a lot like a jumbled mess of Tumblr posts.

I'm gonna say it again and again, but Gateworld really still is the only true fan-space to meet and interact with the the whole of fandom.

Comment

Apparently Apple stores have to approve the app -- and it's still going throught approval stages.
                    Last I heard anyway -- could have been approved already, I don't know.
                    Right, and that's fine -- with caveats. Like, for instance, actually submitting the thing in advance of your announced 'launch day' so the thing is actually available on launch day.

I understand that hiccups happen, it's the nature of tech/coding/etc, but if they're going to make a big deal of a Day 1, the most basic of steps should have been planned to meet their deadline. Not waiting until halfway through the day of or day after Day 1 to bother submitting the thing.

Right now, 6:30pm on Day 2, there's still no iPhone app, and the website still insists that the only way I can register is through the Android app. For a website that's going to have certain content only for a limited time (and we still don't know which content yet!), cutting into that limited time because of bad planning is...well, bad planning.

I finally managed to access the website, and it's freakin' forum disaster. A chaotic mess of posts, likes and comments. No order or neatly ordered subjects like what an actual forum is supposed to look like. It looks a lot like a jumbled mess of Tumblr posts.
                    Actually I just looked, and right now it's just a mess of characters/code

Perhaps someone is trying to fix it?

edit: Oh they seem to have fixed the forum now. I mean, of the bugs--not the clutter.
                    Last edited by DigiFluid; 21 September 2017, 02:46 PM.
                    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Apparently, the censoring of words is also ... rather set to high.

Comment

Originally posted by Az'ryel View Post
                        Same here, I'm as well a dinosaur
                        Same here really, don't have netflix and probably never will.

It's one of the (many) reasons why they already lost me as a fan for origins: I don't buy into the new streaming model.

Where I live (Belgium), a cable package already costs more than enough. As I understood it, it costs an arm and a leg in the US too.

The initial appeal of Netflix was as a cheaper alternative. Now every company have their own streaming channel: CBS, netflix, Disney is going to pull everything from netflix too and start their own last I heard, now MGM...

Soon if you want to view all your shows you'll need 50 subscriptions and it'll cost 5 times as much as cable, no thanks.

Unfortunately, I even see the demise of the dvd in the future if this continues: all streaming, nothing offline, meaning recurring revenue on monthly basis instead of one-time as with dvd.

Think I'll just stop watching anything if it ever comes that far. Way cheaper and lots more time to read some good books (yes, on paper, imagine that...) And do other things in life I still want to do ;-)

Comment

Apparently, the censoring of words is also ... rather set to high.
                          Another reason I am glad I did not bother to check the site out XD

Comment

Originally posted by DrMckay View Post
                            Where I live (Belgium), a cable package already costs more than enough.
                            ANOTHER BELGIAN IN THE HOUSE!!!

I'm with Telenet -- though no PlayMore.

Comment

I expect high quality waffles from now on, there are two of you now, I demand results.
                              sigpic
                              ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                              A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                              The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Indeed...
                                Ugh, don't remind me, I hate being Belgian lol.
                                I consider myself... An Asgard

Same here, basic package of Telenet, which is already highly overpriced for what it is.

Comment

Working...
                                X