Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stargate Command site - Online streaming not available outside of the US?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate Command site - Online streaming not available outside of the US?

While looking at the new Stargate Command site recently, i noticed something that seems a bit concerning in the press release. The site says this:

Stargate Command will officially launch on iOS, Android, and online in the U.S. on September 20th All Access is now available for pre-sale in the U.S. at: stargatecommand.co. Stargate Command will be available worldwide through the iTunes Store and Google Play. Internationally, All Access will be available for purchase through app stores in the United Kingdom, Canada, Germany, Australia and New Zealand.
    The US part specifically mentions "online in the U.S", which presumably means an online/web version of the service rather than just an App. For International users, there is only an App mentioned; nothing about there being a Computer-intended version. Considering the "Stargate Command" service is how you're supposed to access the Streaming, and it also mentions "All Access" (which is what you need for streaming) is only available through app stores....doesn't this suggest that for everyone who isn't in the US, they only get a mobile version? No Streaming to PCs?

If that's the case and I've not misunderstood something, the service seems utterly pointless to me. I expected it to be something that would have all the shows available to stream on any device, not just mobiles.

I was wondering the same, but I think it might just be a case of someone not proofreading closely enough before clicking Send.

Obviously I don't know all the legal intricacies of global video rights, but from a purely technical standpoint I don't understand how it would be feasible to geo-block Canadian (to pick one example) IP addresses from a browser, but allow Canadian IP addresses from a mobile device (particularly if both PC and mobile log into the same account).
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      I was wondering the same, but I think it might just be a case of someone not proofreading closely enough before clicking Send.

Obviously I don't know all the legal intricacies of global video rights, but from a purely technical standpoint I don't understand how it would be feasible to geo-block Canadian (to pick one example) IP addresses from a browser, but allow Canadian IP addresses from a mobile device (particularly if both PC and mobile log into the same account).
      I think there's a few too many omissions there for it to just be a mistake; it specifically mentions Online for the US part only which implies that's not the case elsewhere, only mentions "Stargate Command" as an App for everywhere else, then only mentions "all access" being available via mobile unless you're in the US. I could understand it being just something they missed if it was just one of those, but with 3 different instances implying it's not available Online anywhere else, it's very concerning.

Comment

See...I hate this new trend of TV shows going to specialized "All Access" channels that you have to pay extra for. If I'm paying extra...I wanna see this mofo on my 80" wide screen...not my computer monitor or worse...my tablet or phone.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
          See...I hate this new trend of TV shows going to specialized "All Access" channels that you have to pay extra for. If I'm paying extra...I wanna see this mofo on my 80" wide screen...not my computer monitor or worse...my tablet or phone.
          I do not mind paying monthly access to support a show that I like. However I can see people that might complain about that, yet for cigars or drinking is ok.

Comment

I know I saw the explanation on the site, because as a fan-they-are-not-looking-for I happened to read the fine print (all of it).

Here we go -- from the Stargatecommand.co FAQ page:

Who can become an All-Access member of Stargate Command?

While the pre-sale is for U.S. residents only, fans in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, Canada, Australia and New Zealand will be able to purchase the All-Access Pass after the Stargate Command platform launches on September 20, 2017 via an in-app purchase through the Stargate Command mobile app, which will be available on their local app store. Fans in the United States will also be able to purchase an All-Access Pass on stargatecommand.co.
            Basically, it means that US residents can buy their all-access pass via the website. When the site and the app launches on september 20, residents of the UK, Canada, Germany, Australia & New Zealand will be able to purchase their all-access pass via the app which will be available in the Google play store and the iTunes store -- most likely only in these countries. If it's available internationally outside of these countries, it just means you can still use the app to access stargate command, you just won't have all access.

It's the same for fans like me, we have access to the website (and possibly the app) but we won't be able to get access to the content that matters.

Again from the FAQ page:

What is the difference between Stargate Command and Stargate Command All-Access?

Stargate Command is the new fan experience launching on September 20, 2017 and is open to anyone who visits stargatecommand.co. Stargate Command All-Access is the paid membership tier of Stargate Command. By purchasing the All-Access Pass, fans will have access to exclusive content, including the new STARGATE series, Stargate Origins, and fans will also have access to a library of STARGATE TV shows and movies, including SG-1, Atlantis, Universe, and all three movies, Stargate (1994), Stargate: The Ark of Truth (2008) and Stargate: Continuum (2008).
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
              I know I saw the explanation on the site, because as a fan-they-are-not-looking-for I happened to read the fine print (all of it).

Here we go -- from the Stargatecommand.co FAQ page:

Basically, it means that US residents can buy their all-access pass via the website. When the site and the app launches on september 20, residents of the UK, Canada, Germany, Australia & New Zealand will be able to purchase their all-access pass via the app which will be available in the Google play store and the iTunes store -- most likely only in these countries. If it's available internationally outside of these countries, it just means you can still use the app to access stargate command, you just won't have all access.

It's the same for fans like me, we have access to the website (and possibly the app) but we won't be able to get access to the content that matters.

Again from the FAQ page:
              I don't think that really explains it, if anything that makes it even more complicated. There is no indication in those explanations that the online streaming part of all-access will be available outside of an App for people who can buy the pass but aren't in the US. Infact that first quote even supports that there won't be an online version for anywhere other than the US as it once again specifically outlines that it's the US that gets to buy it via the site rather than just buying it using the App.

If there was online streaming available for anywhere outside of the US, it doesn't make much sense to only refer to an App and Mobile versions for everywhere else when they're explicitly mentioning that the US can by it online. It also doesn't make sense that if there was an online version for those places they mention, they'd make you buy it on a separate device that some people might not have just so they can use it on a different device rather than allowing them to be bought via the site if that's what people are going to be using the streaming on.

Comment

Originally posted by TheVoidDragon View Post
                If there was online streaming available for anywhere outside of the US, it doesn't make much sense to only refer to an App and Mobile versions for everywhere else when they're explicitly mentioning that the US can by it online.
                It looks pretty clear to me.

If you're in the US, the primary target for MGM, then you'll be able to buy and watch all-access on the Stargatecommand.co website. Stream the service on your tv, computer, tablet, phone.
                After all, MGM's using SGO to kickstart their new digital channel, which will contain their entire library (much like CBS All Access).

If you're not a US-citizen, you'll be able to buy all-access in the mobile app -- like buying cool extras in some games you can download from the stores, or remove adds from apps -- which likely indicates that nope, you won't be able to stream on Stargate command but you can stream on your mobile device or tablet (which you can easily connect to your TV these days using a micro USB to HDMI cable).

If you're not one of the lucky 6, you won't be able to watch the exclusive content at all, not in the app if it's available nor on the website. You'll only get access to the GW rip-off page.

Comment

Well, either way we will find out in less than a week.
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Well, either way we will find out in less than a week.
                    The lucky ones will indeed find out, the rest of us... not so much.

Comment

Well no...nobody's going to keep it a secret

Come Sept 20, all we have to do is share where we're from and what we have access to and we'll have it figured

Comment

Well no...nobody's going to keep it a secret

Come Sept 20, all we have to do is share where we're from and what we have access to and we'll have it figured
                        Ah... be a true community of fans -- for once set our differences in likes aside and band together. Sounds like a good plan.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                          It looks pretty clear to me.

If you're in the US, the primary target for MGM, then you'll be able to buy and watch all-access on the Stargatecommand.co website. Stream the service on your tv, computer, tablet, phone.
                          After all, MGM's using SGO to kickstart their new digital channel, which will contain their entire library (much like CBS All Access).

If you're not a US-citizen, you'll be able to buy all-access in the mobile app -- like buying cool extras in some games you can download from the stores, or remove adds from apps -- which likely indicates that nope, you won't be able to stream on Stargate command but you can stream on your mobile device or tablet (which you can easily connect to your TV these days using a micro USB to HDMI cable).

If you're not one of the lucky 6, you won't be able to watch the exclusive content at all, not in the app if it's available nor on the website. You'll only get access to the GW rip-off page.
                          That's what i mean - If there isn't any Online Streaming for those 6 countries, then the service ultimately seems pretty pointless and definitely not worth the money to me. Unless it's vastly cheaper, it'll a second-rate, dumbed-down version of what the US gets.

Comment

Originally posted by zaplayer View Post
                            I do not mind paying monthly access to support a show that I like. However I can see people that might complain about that, yet for cigars or drinking is ok.
                            See I don't smoke, and I still have the booze I bought during the summer of 2016 in my cabinet. I already pay for UVerse. So, this would be an additional expense on top of what I already pay for TV.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheVoidDragon View Post
                              That's what i mean - If there isn't any Online Streaming for those 6 countries, then the service ultimately seems pretty pointless and definitely not worth the money to me. Unless it's vastly cheaper, it'll a second-rate, dumbed-down version of what the US gets.
                              Even a dumbed down version is better than nothing.

At least, those 5 other countries (cause the US is the 6th) have the actual choice whether to buy a ticket into all-access while 3/4 of the fanbase doesn't even get that.

Comment

Working...
                              X