Stargate in UE4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate in UE4

I've finished my Stargate and DHD models in Unreal Engine 4, for now. Some features are still missing, like manual dialing, but they will be added later. Below is a short demonstration of what it can do currently.

The plan is to develop a short demo, or prototype, of a potential video game, with a small indie team. Once finished, we intend to pitch it to MGM for the opportunity to get it officially licensed. In the very possible event that that won't happen, we will simply strip out all Stargate-related content and continue with our own IP. I do not intend to reveal too much detail about all the things going on in the background, but I will update this when we have been green-lit by MGM or not. But that is still a far ways off.

Let me know what you think!

Additional link to a more detailed and technical post on the Unreal forums, here.

Good luck with that, i liked the video.
    It would be so nice having a Stargate Game like that.

Comment

As much as I enjoyed this and truely do wish you the best I just don't see mgm going for this, all stargate games have just been a total pain for the company never having a happy ending for the developers. In saying that though if you do go through with your plan I would love to play and wish you the best.

Comment

Originally posted by tomaso88 View Post
        As much as I enjoyed this and truely do wish you the best I just don't see mgm going for this, all stargate games have just been a total pain for the company never having a happy ending for the developers. In saying that though if you do go through with your plan I would love to play and wish you the best.
        Sure, I mean it's not going to be easy at all. However, I have spent time researching as much as I could about those games:

- Stargate SG-1: The Alliance: Canceled because of a dispute between the developer and publisher about who owned the license to develop a Stargate game. MGM canceled the license eventually.
        - Stargate Worlds: Canceled because the developer got into financial troubles, largely related to fraud by a former CEO. Also, it is presumed the game became too expensive to develop.
        - Stargate SG-1: Unleashed: Canceled for unknown reasons, as the developer simply vanished.

On top of that, as a game designer, I have also analyzed the games themselves and don't see them having succeeded, at least not in the long term.

The Alliance was a "simple" first-person shooter, like Call of Duty. It didn't have everything that made Stargate entertaining. From what I've seen of it, the game sure looked and played nice, but didn't really have any substance.

Worlds was an MMO. To me, that says it all. Stargate is not suitable for an MMO, let alone one that takes place during SG-1. Thousands of SG teams running around? Not very canon, is it? On top of that, the companies working on it were brand new, and they immediately began working on the most complex and expensive genre of video games? With what I've learned since then about game development, I'm surprised they came as far as they did.

Finally, Unleashed was a mobile game. While mobile games might work, even though I'm very much against them, a story-driven adventure game on mobile? Will never have the fanbase to be successful. Probably what killed it, too. And again, it didn't have what it took to be a good game either. Though it had the adventure part, combat was on-rails. Probably the worst gameplay mechanic next to badly-implemented Quick-Time Events.

With that, I basically concluded that a proper video game needed to have everything that made Stargate such a good franchise. It needs to be a console game (e.g. PC, Xbox, PlayStation), but at the same time something we can develop as well (so no MMO).

Next to that, we are indie developers. We're not a AAA company, which means we're doing everything ourselves. That means, among other things, crowdfunding, hiring freelancers, and publishing the game ourselves, through Steam and GOG for example. We only really need permission to develop and sell it. And perhaps some technical support, such as story consultation, which probably needs to be approved anyway, and certain content such as sound effects and music from the shows.

Comment

Hey, how is it coming along?
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            Hey, how is it coming along?
            Oh, crap! I missed the notifications! Uhm, it's not coming along. I'm working on an original IP which, though heavily inspired by Stargate, is not Stargate. I still want to do it, but the design that I came up with seemed too big to do well, and I want to do it well from the get go and not risk ruining everything again.

If, if, MGM wants to do something, well, I would be the first in line to try and convince them, but otherwise...

Comment

Hey, you gotta start somewhere... Rome wasn't build in one day after all either.

Comment

Oh it wasn't? Hmm, that sure explains a lot...

If anyone's a little curious as to the plot I was thinking about:
                Spoiler:

When a terrorist attack ruins peace negotiations between Earth and the Lucian Alliance, Lieutenant Colonel Paul Allan/Madeline Tanner leads a new SG team to investigate. But when the IOA begins an investigation of the SGC, they learn that a vast conspiracy threatens not only the future of the Stargate Program, but also the secrecy of the Stargate and the security of Earth and many other worlds. During the investigation, Allan/Tanner discovers that the military and various governments have been infiltrated. What’s more is that there is a mole within Stargate Command. This leads to the SGC being shut down pending a hearing about the future of the Stargate Program. Defying orders, Allan/Tanner continues the investigation until they discover the mole and begins unraveling the conspiracy that leads him/her to those behind the conspiracy, who call themselves the Syndicate.

The idea for the player character was similar to Ryder in Mass Effect Andromeda. You pick one as the player character, and the other becomes a supporting character.

Also, the failed negotiations and the consequences of the conspiracy would tie into the Lucian Alliance's hostility towards Earth as seen in Stargate Universe

I have to say that it was written a while ago and my writing skills have since improved somewhat.

Comment

Oh, ... I like that plot.

Comment

Don't worries guys Ancient Rings is fully funded and in full time development for over a year now. $200,000 taken in for donations so far.
                    Follow the Facebook page
                    Https://facebook.com/ancientrings

Comment

Will check this out when I get home from work later today.

Comment

It's good stuff. Another video just released.

Comment

Oh, by the way.... I checked Ancient Rings. Much later than I promised, but that looks pretty sweet.

Comment

That looks promising! What's the state of your project? Have you got others visual to show us? I want to see more

Comment

Originally posted by Thor57 View Post
                              That looks promising! What's the state of your project? Have you got others visual to show us? I want to see more
                              Thanks. I don't have much new stuff to show as all of the work done since then (on-and-off) is behind the scenes. The design changed quite a lot and there have been a lot of reality checks to see what is possible and what I really want to do. I'm still working (or actually re-working) on this and I hope to have something more elaborate to show on October 28 (the unofficial #StargateDay).

Comment

Working...
                              X