Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ads in the GW Forum Header? (Crowd-Sourcing Help!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ads in the GW Forum Header? (Crowd-Sourcing Help!)

Hey, Team GateWorld -

As you may have caught on by now we're in the final days of prepping a site-wide redesign, which will make GateWorld look and feel more modern and help us do more in terms of news and special features for years to come. The redesign includes GateWorld Forum -- but don't worry, all your favorite bells and whistles will still be here.

I need a bit of crowd-sourcing help with our advertising integration. Those of you who have an ad blocker enabled (and for some modern browsers like Chrome that may be a default setting), let me ask you first to disable it or whitelist forum.gateworld.net -- at least temporarily -- so you can help out.

All I need to know is whether or not you can see the banner ad (728x90) in the forum's site header (and if so, what it looks like). Please browse a few pages and post a screenshot or two! Be sure to click around and reload a time or two.

For the purposes of this test, ads on the main site don't count. And ads toward the bottom of the forum pages don't count. We're just testing the forum header.

Thank you for your help!

~Darren

Not entirely sure what I'm supposed to see.
    I tried at home yesterday but whether I turned my addblocker off or not, no adds were shown. And I use Firefox at home.

At work I mainly use Chrome for work-related things and my extracurricular activity, and Internet Explorer & Firefox solely for work-related things.

I have no addblock in IE so I took two screencaps though I'm not sure this is what you're looking for:

Main Gateworld page:
    InternetExplorer_GWMain_Addbanner.jpg

Main Forum page:
    InternetExplorer_GWForum_Addbanner.jpg
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I use chrome with adblock, but i pause it and i can't see any add in the header.

Comment

I see no ads either, and I don't use a blocker.
        sigpic
        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Thanks, everybody. FH, your second image (the forum header) is the one I need.

So I understand that you all (disabled ad blockers and) clicked around the forum a bit and tried multiple pages, and saw no header ad? (I need a bit of evidence to show our advertising provider if it's the case that this particular ad isn't showing at all.)
          GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
          The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
          Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

I certainly clicked around -- and away whenever a colleague passed by.

Comment

sigpic

Comment

I noticed the banner up top has grown in height -- where the add would be if I wasn't blocking it. It didn't do that before. Is it a permanent fixture now?

Comment

Yes, I set it to a fixed height -- mainly to show our ad provider where it was supposed to go.

They tell me it's fixed now, though I personally have yet to see any ads there.

~Darren

Comment

OK, some new feedback.
                    I have my ad-blocker off for this.
                    In the "main page" of the forum section I now get the graphic that is used in the "front door" up the top, but no ad. At the bottom of the page, I get a standard ad (current one is global online dating). I am no good with the caps and pics, but FH will most likely notice and drop you a post about it.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                      OK, some new feedback.
                      I have my ad-blocker off for this.
                      In the "main page" of the forum section I now get the graphic that is used in the "front door" up the top, but no ad. At the bottom of the page, I get a standard ad (current one is global online dating). I am no good with the caps and pics, but FH will most likely notice and drop you a post about it.
                      I'm at work -- no add-blocker so I'll check it out -- see how it looks.

Comment

Cheers FH, you beat me here in the techno-skills quite handily.
                        sigpic

Comment

Okay, I have banners to show...

Internet Explorer

GW Main page -- add banner only at the top of the page

GW_mainpage.jpg

GW Forum page

-- one banner at the top

GW_Forum_Top.jpg

-- one banner near the bottom

GW_Forum_Bottom.jpg

I clicked a few pages and as I clicked into the General's Office it didn't immediately load an add at the top (didn't check the bottom) but it did load when I opened a thread. Might have switched pages too fast.

Comment

Just a small note from me, I use an adblocker due to malware on other sites sneaking through onto my laptop {I learned the hard way to use an adblocker, it wasnt just the popups that did it}

So

I did indeed turn off my adblocker tempoarily, but I took no screenshots of the ads in the upper banner as I couldnt see an ad of any kind there, same for the bottom of the page. However the space is there in the upper banner for an ad.

I for one think allocating space for an ad banner is a good idea, and thats the perfect size

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                            "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                            "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

In chrome without ad blockers there's no ad on top, only one at the bottom under this reply box.
                              A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

Working...
                              X