Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Staff Sergeant

Sci-Fi Dark Matter: No Season 4? (Updated)

Will there be a season 4 of Dark Matter?
    Is it going to happen?

I did a quick search on the internet and the results I got only said "no official confirmation of renewal".

Ordinarily, I wouldn't ask, but as all my favorite sci-fi shows were axed with the storylines incomplete (in some cases on cliffhanger season endings), I want to be assured that DM will complete the interdimensional invader storyline.

If anyone finds any news about season 4, please post it here.

Default Re: Dark Matter Season 4

The previous renewal announcements for DM both came down in early September. Safe to say we can probably expect the same this time.
    "Not every movie is for you. Not every TV show is for you. Not every song is for you. Find the things you like, and like them. Go nuts liking them. A thing ISN’T for you? Cool. Go find something you like. That’s it. That’s as complicated as it should be." -- David Blue

"I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

http://picasaweb.google.com/103478402021017098633

Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
    Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
    There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

****ING HELL

I'm so mad right now. I wasn't able to watch season 3 this whole summer so I have been waiting until next weekend when I will have some time and now that will be an awful experience.

How the **** does Wynonna Earp get renewed but this doesn't?

At least it got 3 seasons.
    For quite some time now, SyFy has given even it's best shows 5 "half seasons" at best. Haven got 5, Continuum got 4, and this show wasn't even in the same league as either of those two.

I enjoyed the show, but wasn't expecting more than another season at best.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

Staff Sergeant

Well, now I am (pardon the pun) Annoyed!

Dark Matter spent 3 seasons building up to a big reveal and now we never get to see how it ends.
    I'm hoping there's enough consumer retaliation to force Syfy to commission a new series.
    Or at the very least, a direct2video movie to end the plot.

I wonder, did some executive see how Season 3 ended and think, it's going to be too expensive to pay for massive space battles, so we won't!

To be honest, I'm thinking Syfy doesn't deserve to stay in business, if they can't commit to keeping their shows running until the plots are finished.

I think it's time for me to stop watching sci-fi shows.
    I am still a fan of the genre, but I don't want to experience this again, getting attached to a show I become invested in, then they don't finish the story or give me enough episodes.
    Which I think is actually the point, that they're sabotaging these shows on purpose to make the genre undesirable.
    Last edited by Tilarta; September 9th, 2017 at 01:19 AM.

The Beach of naked Sebeceans and margarita shooter

Quote Originally Posted by Tilarta View Post
    Well, now I am (pardon the pun) Annoyed!

Dark Matter spent 3 seasons building up to a big reveal and now we never get to see how it ends.
    I'm hoping there's enough consumer retaliation to force Syfy to commission a new series.
    Or at the very least, a direct2video movie to end the plot.

I wonder, did some executive see how Season 3 ended and think, it's going to be too expensive to pay for massive space battles, so we won't!

To be honest, I'm thinking Syfy doesn't deserve to stay in business, if they can't commit to keeping their shows running until the plots are finished.

I think it's time for me to stop watching sci-fi shows.
    I am still a fan of the genre, but I don't want to experience this again, getting attached to a show I become invested in, then they don't finish the story or give me enough episodes.
    Which I think is actually the point, that they're sabotaging these shows on purpose to make the genre undesirable.

As regards Wynonna Earp and whatever other trash non sci-fi shows exist, I have a theory about that too.
    These shows survive because they are made to, not because they are more popular or better quality.
    Simple version, historical/mediaval or magic/fantasy is being pushed to be more important then sci-fi.
    The irony is your method is how they go out of business
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Staff Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    The irony is your method is how they go out of business.
    It hasn't happened yet.
    But to be honest, I'd rather they did go out of business rather then keep making shows they have no intention of completing.
    If I was a director who made these shows, one of the clauses would be "if you commit to funding production, the show will have to be taken to plot completion". If the aforementioned clause is not aggreed to, then I find someone else to pay the bills.
    Also, I think based on this, Syfy channel should be closed down, since they clearly have no commitment to their entertainment genre.

Could it be possible that consumer backlash will have a negative effect on SyFy's popularity?
    I am wondering if they antagonise enough fanbases, will they have a consolidated group of sci-fi enthusiasts who hate them because of their cavalier attitude towards maintaining shows.

No offense intended to the other fanbases, but I also did wonder if the existence of Firefly and Killjoys contributed to the problem.
    I have two theories on that subject:
    1: With two shows existing with that theme, the decision was made that one show was expendable and unfortunately, they chose Dark Matter.
    It could be likely though that Killjoys will also be deemed expendable, so I wouldn't get to attached to that show either.....
    2: Some fanbases can be obsessively attached to their franchise, so they might have skewed the ratings by refusing to watch Dark Matter because it isn't the show they are dedicated to. Which would have the side effect of lowering Dark Matter's ratings enough to justify cancellation.

I'm thinking that generically, it's more about quantity then quality.
    That they're just turning out a high number of shows and ending them so they can start work on the next one, then cancel that one and repeat the cycle.
    The Reapers would be so impressed that their methodology is being applied to business.
    Last edited by Tilarta; September 9th, 2017 at 01:20 AM.

If I was a director who made these shows, one of the clauses would be "if you commit to funding production, the show will have to be taken to plot completion". If the aforementioned clause is not aggreed to, then I find someone else to pay the bills.
    TV showrunners don't have that kind of clout, and no network would ever agree to that because that ends up costing them dearly. Even the TV gods like Vince Gilligan, Noah Hawley, or other showrunners of that caliber could probably never get that kind of deal.

Besides, I would say most showrunners and producers DO try to shop their shows around before contracts officially expire so that it will continue. I can't think of many recent examples except maybe Longmire moving to Netflix.

not a happy camper
    Star Trek: The Original Series is and always shall be my favorite Star Trek television series

At this point I think the only Sci-fi show I still trust is Doctor Who and even there its in the Stars if its going to survive the new addition. 12 Monkeys is already scheduled to end and I am thankful that its a planned ending. So sad to see my favourite Genre gone to waist. I guess it has to come back eventually, but still.
    Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
    Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
    There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Your passion is exactly why if they followed your ideas the channel would go idea. Completing a failed show makes no business sense. I'm not touching your conspiracy theories
    Jelgate is right

Staff Sergeant

Signed the petition.

Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    Completing a failed show makes no business sense.
    Who says it failed?
    As far as I'm concerned, if any show makes it into a 3rd season, it's demonstrated enough viability to be considered worth sustaining.
    Given that the average now is 1 season before the cancellation order is issued.

And it's not just my opinion, this has happened many times before.
    Enough for not one, but two articles to exist about it.
    Check that second link, there's a whole section devoted to SyFy channel.

That's why I believe cancellation of any sci-fi show is engineered, that it was made to happen despite it's popularity.
    Or to spite it's popularity, because they don't want it to be successful.

Signed the petition.

Who says it failed?
    As far as I'm concerned, if any show makes it into a 3rd season, it's demonstrated enough viability to be considered worth sustaining.

That's why I believe cancellation of any sci-fi show is engineered, that it was made to happen despite it's popularity.
    Economics 101. If it was making enough money it wouldn't be cancelled. You conspiracy theories make no business sense
    Jelgate is right

Signed the petition.

Who says it failed?

If the network wants to kill a show, they can create circumstances where it will fail. ABC did this in 1979 and 1980 with Battlestar Galactica. The show was doing well in the ratings, but the bean counters killed it due to its cost.
    A Letter writing campaign from the fans got a reprieve in the form of Galactica 1980. Which ABC promptly moved to what was known as "Family Viewing Hour" at the time, an attempt to avoid govt. censorship of content. So, after the first episodes, it was all child-centric stories such as "The Super Scouts" where the kids were the heroes of the stories. Needless to say, it collapsed in ratings, and was cancelled for that reason.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."

Second Lieutenant

Can't even go on to explain how mad I am right now. I think the things that annoys me the most is that we have been getting loads of scifi films lately but majority are just action based and don't have much story to them since there is a limited time for story while tv series are able to have loads of story. but everytime we get a good story it gets cancelled. space based Scifi shows as a tv series genre really seems to be dieing the shows just don't last long term. I just hope the new star trek series will be amazing....

Probie

Dark Matter could have been another star trek, but I think the writing in the third season was really off. The lost too many crew members, and lost track of the direction of the show. The actors were good the special effects were ok they just needed better writers. It's really too bad for syfy fans. Another network should pick up the show and move on with it.

People keep watching SyFy because there isn't any other outlet for sci-fi.

Sci-fi is very much a niche genre; aside from the big franchises, Star Wars, Star Trek and such, there isn't a big audience for sci-fi.

How many sci-fi shows survive on the "big" networks, ABC, CBS, NBC & Fox? Every few years, they do try; Defying Gravity, V, Terra Nova, Forever, Time After Time, Knight Rider (remake), Frequency just to name a few recent attempts. All are cancelled after a couple of seasons at best, less than one season in some cases. And I can't think of any major network that has given a cancelled show a few extra eps to tie things up.

The genre as a whole just can't deliver the viewing audience size that these networks require.
    In addition, Sci Fi is expensive to produce in comparison to other fare.

While it is frustrating when shows like Dark Matter, Continuum, Haven, Eureka and others are cancelled by SyFy, at least they do give them time to finish their tales or at least tie up loose ends in some cases, such as Haven & Continuum.

I saw I link to this in the comments of JM's blog post. It's a petition to renew Dark Matter:
    https://www.change.org/p/renew-dark-matter

I just thought I post the link for those who may not have seen it.

Signs by Scifan and me. | MY Website - Planet TV | My Sanctuary RPG | My Stargate SG-1 & SGA RPG |
    My Mini City - Rygel City