Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Signed the petition.

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    Completing a failed show makes no business sense.
    Who says it failed?
    As far as I'm concerned, if any show makes it into a 3rd season, it's demonstrated enough viability to be considered worth sustaining.
    Given that the average now is 1 season before the cancellation order is issued.

And it's not just my opinion, this has happened many times before.
    Enough for not one, but two articles to exist about it.
    Check that second link, there's a whole section devoted to SyFy channel.

That's why I believe cancellation of any sci-fi show is engineered, that it was made to happen despite it's popularity.
    Or to spite it's popularity, because they don't want it to be successful.

Comment

Originally posted by Tilarta View Post
      If I was a director who made these shows, one of the clauses would be "if you commit to funding production, the show will have to be taken to plot completion". If the aforementioned clause is not aggreed to, then I find someone else to pay the bills.
      TV showrunners don't have that kind of clout, and no network would ever agree to that because that ends up costing them dearly. Even the TV gods like Vince Gilligan, Noah Hawley, or other showrunners of that caliber could probably never get that kind of deal.

Besides, I would say most showrunners and producers DO try to shop their shows around before contracts officially expire so that it will continue. I can't think of many recent examples except maybe Longmire moving to Netflix.
      sigpic

Comment

Signed the petition.

Who says it failed?
        As far as I'm concerned, if any show makes it into a 3rd season, it's demonstrated enough viability to be considered worth sustaining.

That's why I believe cancellation of any sci-fi show is engineered, that it was made to happen despite it's popularity.
        Economics 101. If it was making enough money it wouldn't be cancelled. You conspiracy theories make no business sense
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

I liked the show but didn't care for the swearing and stopped watching for a while.
          Total syffy posts: 36,690
          (Chosen One)

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
          Matthew 5:9

Comment

Tilarta..Neither of those are "articles" really.

Friday Night Death Slot, regardless, wouldn't explain why Killjoys is successful.
            sigpic

Comment

Signed the petition.

Who says it failed?

If the network wants to kill a show, they can create circumstances where it will fail. ABC did this in 1979 and 1980 with Battlestar Galactica. The show was doing well in the ratings, but the bean counters killed it due to its cost.
              A Letter writing campaign from the fans got a reprieve in the form of Galactica 1980. Which ABC promptly moved to what was known as "Family Viewing Hour" at the time, an attempt to avoid govt. censorship of content. So, after the first episodes, it was all child-centric stories such as "The Super Scouts" where the kids were the heroes of the stories. Needless to say, it collapsed in ratings, and was cancelled for that reason.

Comment

Here's my biggest issue...Syfy has worked pretty hard to bring back the goodwill they lost from fans after the loss of both the Stargate and BSG franchises (and how Alphas, WH13, and Eureka were handled). They have done a really good job getting that back, even with the cancellation of Dominion and Defiance at the same time. But this one seems to have pissed off more fans than they expected and the reaction is pretty huge online compared to what I would have expected.

Maybe they will change their minds. Weirder things have happened. And at least they didn't string us along for months like what happened with Sanctuary.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                  Economics 101. If it was making enough money it wouldn't be cancelled.
                  From my perspective, it's not about the money, it's about the distaste executives have for sci-fi.
                  I've seen it time and again that a sci-fi franchise will be diminished for some other genre/entertainment format, the ones they want us to watch.
                  It's not an impartial decision.

If they truly wanted to save money, it would have been more cost effective not to create the franchise/property in the first place.
                  I think they're not confident enough that they can get away with making that choice, so they support a franchise for a short term investment and then cancel it when they think they can get away with it.

If lower ratings or whatever means they can do it sooner then planned, they immediately take action.
                  In some of the cases I read about, the cancellation order came without warning, when the production crew was getting ready to start work on finishing the franchise.

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
                  Neither of those are "articles" really.
                  Those webpages are how I became aware of the situation though, I wasn't aware of these policies until I found that information.
                  Somewhere on those pages, it mentions that a dedicated fanbase (specifically a sci-fi audience) can compensate for the FNDS rostering.

Comment

Well, that's a bummer. I was fearing cancelllation all the more because of how little closure the finale brought...
                    Kinda getting to the point where showrunners should try to at least partially complete thee storylines if renewal isn't guranteed.

Either way, seems like the reason for DM being cancelled and not Killjoys is that DM (afaik) is mostly paid for by Syfy themselves while Killjoys was more of a joint effort between Syfy and some Canadians (maybe even Brits). EDIT: On that note, I seem to remember Killjoys was bringing record numbers for Canadian "Space" channel last year.

Comment

That's because you are looking at the Fan's passion perspective. So many times fans want to blame the networks which leads to conspiracy. It's not hard to see Dark Matter was making enough profit in the first two seasons and not enough now. Makes a lot more sense than networks wanting shows to fail
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

You'd think they'd learn why people aren't watching serialised TV anymore, and it has nothing to do with the content.

You'd think they'd also learn the days of 5million viewers for their shows are long gone.

My son is 13 and doesn't watch TV at all, as he says why should he get into something when it's going to be cancelled before the ending, it would be like buying a book and the shop ripping out the final chapter before givg it to you.

Comment

Well this is extremely disappointing. And I guess we'll never get to see closure now on so many fronts. DM was one of the three shows I enjoyed on SYFY, DM , the Expanse, and 12 Monkeys, which will see it's last season in 2018.
                          Honestly, it's getting to where I'm not going to get invested in a show again since they get cancelled just when they're getting good.
                          Last edited by Perelandra; 02 September 2017, 05:11 PM.

Comment

I see the plan was for 5 seasons originally. It would have been nice if they had gotten even one more season, or even a shortened one, to wrap up some of the storylines left hanging.

Comment

Damn, the show wasn't perfect but it really deserved a better ending than that.

I thought that was probably their best cliffhanger.
                              "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

From my perspective, it's not about the money, it's about the distaste executives have for sci-fi.
                                I've seen it time and again that a sci-fi franchise will be diminished for some other genre/entertainment format, the ones they want us to watch.
                                It's not an impartial decision.
                                Business types have no compass aside from what makes the most money, usually in the short term. They will greenlight a proposed show on the chance it develops into a Battlestar, Star Trek or a Stargate level franchise. These are very rare. Even the best shows, such as Galactica, Haven or Eureka get 5 or 6 seasons. (In Haven's case, technically it's 6, 5A & 5B).

Sci Fi is expensive to produce, and unless a show pulls incredibly high numbers, such as Galactica did, they break even at best. After 5-6 years, they see it's not going to be a mega franchise and place their bets elsewhere. As far as I can tell, their best performer was Galactica, and even that was killed after 6 years.

That's why we see so much reality crap. It's dirt cheap to produce, and draws an audience large enough so that the overall profit on the show is higher than that on most sci fi shows.

The only way this will change is if more people start watching sci fi, and that's unlikely because many sci fi type shows such as time travel stories for example require a greater level of concentration or awareness of what has gone before and the mass audience isn't willing to make a study of TV shows.

Comment

Working...
                                X