The Dragon and the Wolf (707)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not always.

In the case of the British royal family, yes. BUt only when there's been no other choice, such as Elizabeth I and II and Victoria.

But in the case of the aristocracy, those titles pass to the next male heir. Which was the whole plot behind Downton Abbey, Robert had 3 daughters, his title was going to a male cousin (?) until that person died on the Titanic then it went to Matthew....an even more far flung male heir. The girls would have been at the mercy of whomever they married or if the new earl chose to let them live in the house.

I can't recall how things work in the Westeros world. If it is strictly male or if it is child, preferably male but female if there's not a male.
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Interestingly, in all of Littlefingers scenes this season you can hear ravens in the background. Bran watching perhaps?

How would everyone rate this season?

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
        Interestingly, in all of Littlefingers scenes this season you can hear ravens in the background. Bran watching perhaps?

How would everyone rate this season?
        btw now that LF's dead shouldn't they change the series' name?

it's no longer 'game of thrones' it's just 'thrones'. lol

(or maybe 'war of thrones')

Comment

In the world of ASOIAF, Jon has the true claim. He would have had it over Viserys as well. Because Rhaegar was the Crown Prince so any of his heirs, even a bastard, would probably still have a better claim.

Keep in mind, in this world Targaryens are looked on with suspicion and hatred for the most part. So if the people had to "choose" they would probably back someone raised as a Stark sooner than Danaerys. It has (almost) nothing to do with gender in this case.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
            btw now that LF's dead shouldn't they change the series' name?

it's no longer 'game of thrones' it's just 'thrones'. lol

(or maybe 'war of thrones')
            I am sorry, I do not see why Littlefinger's death should make any difference to the title.
            "in the game of thrones you win or you die" "You are playing a dangerous game and it could cost you your life if you get caught" are sayings that spring to mind. So the survivors are still playing a cat and mouse game with the Night King and his White Walkers
            http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Originally posted by Who Knows View Post
              I am sorry, I do not see why Littlefinger's death should make any difference to the title.
              "in the game of thrones you win or you die" "You are playing a dangerous game and it could cost you your life if you get caught" are sayings that spring to mind. So the survivors are still playing a cat and mouse game with the Night King and his White Walkers
              you remember who those quotes are from? Cersei spoke the 1st one, the 2nd I'm not sure but this was all during the game period Cersei obviously wasn't talking about the night king she was talking politricks to Ned (who unlike Tyrion was no player/schemer)

LF's gone & the last bit of gaming with him; other players like Varys & Tyrion stopped long ago
              the time for political intrigue is over now it's just fantasy & action & war till the end

there is no "cat & mouse" game with the walkers they just march south & kill everything
              now if Cersei or Euron were to make some sort of deal with the night king (they're the only ones crazy enough to think of it at this point) things could get interesting but that's doubtful

Comment

I think game still applies, simply because once they are done with this open battle the game will recommence.

Presuming anyone is still alive that wants to play.
                ANd honestly, I see most of the survivors simply wanting to end playing and live their lives and will probably realize that the game itself is stupid.
                The war will change their perspective. ALso, I'm thinking the population in general will be diminished enough that none of them have the armies to wage any war on each other or to play any game.

It'll be like post plague europe....they all just want to pick up the pieces and move on and it will be a generations or two before anyone wants to play the game again.

sigpic

Comment

Okay I guess it is time for Looney to chime in. So many questions and so many unanswered posts.

Tyrion - I believe someone asked earlier why Tyrion was lingering in the hall. I think A. he might be in love with Dany, but that is trumped by B. he thinks them having sex is a mistake.

Essos - And as far as Essos being safe from the Night King. Ummmm. . . .he has a dragon that flies and he can raise the dead. And as we have seen, a dragon can carry more than one person/White Walker.

Sansa and Arya - I don't think there was much pre-planning. I think Sansa just woke up when she played Littlefinger's game using him as the subject. She then came up with a plan to finally be rid of him. The real question is was that a satisfying enough death. I loved the scene, but I feel like there were other ways he could die - like say for instance flying through the Moon Door to the joy of a little boy who's mother he killed. I might have liked to see him returned by Lord Royce to the Vale so the Lord of The Vale could dispense justice. But it was VERY satisfying to see three Starks get to deliver his justice.

Jon and Dany - I hate the Dany and Jon thing. It seems WAY too much like it was done for the 'Soap Opera' of it. I certainly hope they don't continue. My guess is Jon is doomed after or as he defeats the Night King. Ask yourself what has been his purpose? Jon's purpose has always been to stop the Night King, not be a ruler. Dany's purpose has always been to be a ruler. I think he will learn the truth of his lineage and in the end want to keep it a secret until his death, especially considering what just happened. Jon would have the stronger claim to the throne, which would make him a threat to Dany, but I honestly don't think he wants it and, as I said above, I think he won't survive Season 8.

How it all ends - Well I hope all of the White Walkers are defeated, but I think if they are planning prequels and sequels that won't happen. The reality of the show has always been that 'The Game of Thrones' means nothing because the real threat is the White Walkers. Remove them completely and the story just becomes the power struggle it has always been. What makes the show great is the audience has always known that the power struggle is just a Game ... of ...Thrones. With no overall looming threat it isn't as interesting and I don't think they can come up with a different overall threat to match and better the White Walkers.

So there is some off the top of my head stuff. I can't wait to get the Blu-Ray set and watch it again to look for what I missed.

Comment

Jon doesn't want to rule but sometimes that's what makes the best rulers

Littlefinger's death may have been justice but it was underwhelming & cheap (basically he was beaten by a Deus Ex Machina)

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
                      Jon doesn't want to rule but sometimes that's what makes the best rulers

Littlefinger's death may have been justice but it was underwhelming & cheap (basically he was beaten by a Deus Ex Machina)
                      To me it was a bit sudden, but I wouldn't call it underwhelming. Littlefinger has played his game by setting houses, allies and families against each other. This was put to a close by the Starks who despite everything that has happened have proven to be unbreakable.
                      Thematically it makes sense too. Littlefinger epitomises the conflict around Westeros. He started the War between the Starks and Lannisters which led to the War of the Five Kings. But that all has to come to an end now if everyone is to survive.
                      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

The other obvious fate would have been for him to survive to next season adn get walkerified. Which is a bit terrifying. Maybe the actor didn't want to be around for next season, especially if he only had a couple of episodes.

But, like you said they need to send the symbolic message of blood being thicker than water and families standing together. The way to win the game is not to play.

Tossing him out the moon door would be nice but likely added thousands to the cost along with a dangerous trip to the Aerie on winter roads. and it also affirmed Arya's skill and allowed Sansa to acknowledge her sister.

sigpic

Comment

Killing off Jon only to kill him again would be ridiculous. I doubt that is Martin's overall intention.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                            To me it was a bit sudden, but I wouldn't call it underwhelming. Littlefinger has played his game by setting houses, allies and families against each other. This was put to a close by the Starks who despite everything that has happened have proven to be unbreakable.
                            Thematically it makes sense too. Littlefinger epitomises the conflict around Westeros. He started the War between the Starks and Lannisters which led to the War of the Five Kings. But that all has to come to an end now if everyone is to survive.
                            underwhelming in the sense it was cheap

basically the message is that LF is so skilled at keeping secrets that only magic can beat him
                            conveniently Sansa & Arya have a Bran Ex Machina (if not for him the truth would've never come out & Sansa would've had Arya imprisoned or banished)

Comment

When all sansa had to do was ask arya where she got the message and, presuming LF hadn't killed him, used that other person to confirm that yeah, LF asked for the letter, not Arya

sigpic

Comment

what about the real big one (betraying Ned Stark) and the other one (accomplice to Jon Aryn's assassination) not to mention who the original owner of the dagger (meant to kill Bran) those were the things that would've really pissed off Sansa & there was no way anyone could've found out about these things by conventional means

if Sansa had known only about the letter thing & nothing else then she'd still have been mad but not that much she'd probably have had LF banished

Comment

Working...
                                X