X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I watch this show?

Hi all,

Just completed a rewatch of SG-1.

I'm lacking a decent sci-fi to watch right now (like a lot of us I suppose).

BSG gone, Farscape gone, Stargate gone, Star Trek gone (and not optimistic about discovery).

Should I watch Dark Matter?

I watched about 30mins of the pilot a couple of years ago and remember thinking it was very cheap and tacky.

Then again i remember thinking the same about Farscape initially, and I loved that show.

I noticed that Dark Matter is on Season 3 now, which surprised me, because from that 30 minutes I saw i felt the show would be cancelled.

I really want to get into a good new sci-fi show after so many let downs in recent years.

So again, should I watch Dark Matter?
    Chief Galen Tyrol: But how do you know I'm human?
    Brother Cavil: Oh, well, maybe because I'm a Cylon, and I've never seen you at any of the meetings.

Well, since you mentioned Farscape, I also gotta ask: What about Firefly?
    If you like both those shows, I would recommend another show: Killjoys (also in third season, alongside Dark Matter).
    If you'd rather something more serious (or that takes itself more seriously), with long winding story arcs going for seasons but that are very loose (often, it's very episodic, more like the weekly Stargate adventures), Dark Matter might suit you.
    Mind you, Dark Matter has gotten much better through the seasons. The acting has gotten better and the writing has gotten much better. Now the characters feel like they are alive in an existing universe. That definitely has not been the case early on, when Dark Matter was wooden, cheap, very forgettable.

If you want to retry Dark Matter, I'd be considering maybe even starting with a later episode. The problem is with those long story arcs I mentioned. You'd always be missing some small parts at least.

Comment

Thanks for your response.

I've watched firefly, and its good, though i don't think its as great as its meant out to be.

I've started a Farscape rewatch, but i might give dark matter a go.
      Last edited by mparsons1981; 16 August 2017, 10:05 AM. Reason: error in text
      Brother Cavil: Oh, well, maybe because I'm a Cylon, and I've never seen you at any of the meetings.

Comment

Have you watched SGA Seasons 1-3?
        sigpic
        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
          Have you watched SGA Seasons 1-3?
          Yes - many times through!

Comment

Yes, you should watch Dark Matter.
            I like it because it isn't like any other sci-fi show I've seen before.

Killjoys I considered watching, then rejected it because I felt it was a substandard imitation of Dark Matter.
            Firefly I never watched at all, it just wasn't interesting to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Tilarta View Post
              Yes, you should watch Dark Matter.
              I like it because it isn't like any other sci-fi show I've seen before.

Killjoys I considered watching, then rejected it because I felt it was a substandard imitation of Dark Matter.
              Firefly I never watched at all, it just wasn't interesting to me.
              Thanks for your reply.

I'll start watching it - I've got some time on my hands right now.

Comment

Killjoys is a much more character based show. And those characters do have great chemistry together. Also, it right away had a whole living world around the main cast. And it's just crazy fun.

All of that is sorely missing in the first season of Dark Matter, but as I said, it's gotten better in later seasons.

Comment

I am confused, how is Dark Matter not a character based show?
                  Every episode is about Two, Three, Five, Six and Suki's daily activities.

Comment

I am confused, how is Dark Matter not a character based show?
                    Every episode is about Two, Three, Five, Six and Suki's daily activities.
                    See the underlined part:
                    Originally posted by TOIVA View Post
                    Killjoys is a much more character based show. And those characters do have great chemistry together. Also, it right away had a whole living world around the main cast. And it's just crazy fun.
                    Also, here:
                    Originally posted by TOIVA View Post
                    All of that is sorely missing in the first season of Dark Matter, but as I said, it's gotten better in later seasons.
                    Dark Matter got much more character driven pretty recently, the first season wasn't far from say TNG or SGA, Sg1. On the other hand, you got shows like Farscape, Killjoys, Babylon 5 and i would argue Firefly too.

Comment

The writing is bland and the acting is almost universally terrible, but it's fun from time to time. It's very much a 'fluff' show; it's not the worst thing ever, but it's hard to recommend it as anything special.
                      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Could we please stop comparing Dark Matter to other sci-fi shows?

I am starting to be concerned this might devolve into a fanbase superiority competition and my last experience with that was not a pleasant one.....
                        Hence why I think it's never a suitable topic for civilized/polite discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                          The writing is bland and the acting is almost universally terrible, but it's fun from time to time. It's very much a 'fluff' show; it's not the worst thing ever, but it's hard to recommend it as anything special.
                          Nor is stargate, in any form, it's a culture of the week show without spaceships until later on. Dr Who is pretty "bland" to some as well.
                          It's worth a look if you like the writing style of Mallozi, which is why I asked about SGA S1-3.

Could we please stop comparing Dark Matter to other sci-fi shows?

I am starting to be concerned this might devolve into a fanbase superiority competition and my last experience with that was not a pleasant one.....
                          Hence why I think it's never a suitable topic for civilized/polite discussion.
                          You have to compare it, at least in technical terms. Style and substance -is- highly subjective though.
                          sigpic
                          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Watch the Expanse, closest thing to BSG-quality you're gonna get. Season 2 is vastly better than Season 1 immediately out of the gate. When you're done that if you still need something I guess check out Dark Matter for something to have on in the background

Comment

Working...
                            X