Things you do or found thanks to Stargate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things you do or found thanks to Stargate

Well, my first thread! I don' know if there is a similar thread, you tell me.

As a fan of Stargate i think we all started to do things because of it. I heard or read somewhere (maybe in facebook) that a person started a science career inspired because of Stargate, another one started a military career maybe?

This big forum was created because of that too!

Also there are another things that we started to do. For example, I started to watch, read, play sci-fi things because of Stargate. I also started to played Mass Effect for real (because i had some other tryings before), because that game gave me that feeling of exploration and sci-fi stories that i associate with Stargate.
    Sci-fi became one of my favourite genres in general.

I'd like to know what you did or found, share some experiences.

The only thing Stargate caused me to do was get into prop-building and costume making.

We -- the Belgian prop crew known as BCD -- kinda build a near lifesize SG1 gate.
    Among other things that is.

Ah wait, because of stargate I moved on to Star Wars.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      The only thing Stargate caused me to do was get into prop-building and costume making.

We -- the Belgian prop crew known as BCD -- kinda build a near lifesize SG1 gate.
      Among other things that is.

Ah wait, because of stargate I moved on to Star Wars.
      omg, that Stargate is amazing! i wish i had the hand to make props too, i only can draw haha.
      I moved on to Star Wars too, and BSG, and now Star Trek xD

Comment

I moved from Star Trek to Stargate. I first saw Star Trek Voyager and really liked it, but then was replaced by Stargate SG-1 (around the time it was first broadcasted here in the NL) and never looked back. Only now am I getting a bit back into Star Trek thanks to Netflix.

I actually got into 3D art somewhere between 2003 and 2006 (at least before 2006 as I switched from Blender to 3ds Max 9, which was released in that year). Since then I grew into game design and development as well, and am now basically working on a prototype for a Stargate video game because of that. It did take me all those years to finally make a 3D model of the Stargate and DHD of which I'm proud, and which is (IMO) fairly screen-accurate. Basically, Stargate has served as a kind of central plot for my learning process.

Comment

Originally posted by Nozomi View Post
          omg, that Stargate is amazing! i wish i had the hand to make props too, i only can draw haha.
          When we start our set replica's drawing them out is very important. Of course, last year we got lucky and Disney/Lucasfilm just handed us the building plans for our Rey's speederbike, which then was used to promote the premiere of The Force Awakens.

At the moment, the speederbike and our AT-AT are on their way to Singapore to be build up at a comic con over there. 6 members of our crew are also going to fly out to oversee the matter.

Sidenote: our AT-AT is autographed by George Lucas, and our speederbike by a few, among them JJ Abrams.

Comment

Thanks to Stargate I found an obsession! Nothing has grabbed my attention and fascination like this show. From that I did something I never thought I'd ever do........

.....go to a convention!

Star Trek TOS was my first obsession but I never got as far as going to conventions. Stargate was different, I have met some wonderful people over the years and found Stargate fans are truly a family.

Who knows, it even worked on me subliminally and I ended up living in Vancouver, even though I didn't know that Stargate was filmed there when I first visited from the UK in 2003 and just thought the forests looked familiar! Whilst that was not the reason I moved there with my family I still wonder if there was some influence lol! My life and my childrens' have taken a different path and life in Vancouver is wonderful, I have never looked back and have enjoyed 12 years here already, time flies when you're having fun!

So, I guess I should thank Stargate in some small part!

Comment

I discovered (and started to write) fanfiction through the series and this forum.
              And I found one of my best friends here. Will see her soon again!!!
              Thank you, Stargate. Thank you. Gateworld Forum.
              sigpic

Comment

I learned and got a better understanding of the Theory of Relativity.

Comment

I truly love SG-1. It changed my perception of science-fiction from the first day I saw it. I think it is the greatest science-fi show ever produced. It's current era, not a galaxy far far away, or 300 years into the future. Within the first 1-8 seasons the excellent writing brought basic human exploration and elevated us to the point of advancing our technology and having our own fleet of ships. No other sci-fi series has every done that in the manner SG-1 did.

I hold Stargate SG-1 in the highest regard. It represents the absolute best of what science fiction television is, and can be.

Comment

Originally posted by Cadmius View Post
                    I hold Stargate SG-1 in the highest regard. It represents the absolute best of what science fiction television is, and can be.
                    It can't surpass Battlestar Galactica in any way (ignoring season 3 cause that was uber boring).

Comment

BSG stopped being good after New Caprica
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                        I might be in the minority here, but for me, BSG stopped being good after the original 1979 show. Though the new show has its charms for having an original set up, I prefer that one single season of the original show simply because of its campy feeling.

The actors probably also had something to do with it, too. I'm a fan of a lot of those 70's/80's shows.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                          Is that that spin-off show? Cause I only watched until Anna Galvin's character died in the first 5 minutes.

Comment

Working...
                          X