This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iris...man it's tough!

I was just wondering, well actually i've been wondering for a few years now, but anyway how comes when an incoming wormhole connects with earths Stargate, why doesnt the iris just be vaporised by the wormhole burst from the gate? They always have the Iris closed as soon as the Stargate begins to lock chevrons, so why doesnt Iris simply vaporise??? (I'm new to forum don't pelt me with abuse! lol)

Because the iris is too close to the event horizon for the vortex to form.

Comment

Originally posted by Grin
      I was just wondering, well actually i've been wondering for a few years now, but anyway how comes when an incoming wormhole connects with earths Stargate, why doesnt the iris just be vaporised by the wormhole burst from the gate? They always have the Iris closed as soon as the Stargate begins to lock chevrons, so why doesnt Iris simply vaporise??? (I'm new to forum don't pelt me with abuse! lol)
      Carter said it in... oh, I don't remeber what epi. The iris sits only 3 micrometers from the gate itself, which is to small a space for anything, including the vortex to re-integrate.

WELCOME!!! We love new peoples! Although, you've been a member for a while.

Are you a fic writer?

Comment

thanks for welcome, yeah signed up while back but ahevn't posted in a while. I'd answer your other question but i don't know what a "fic writer" is...meh i'm new i need to learn the jargon.

Was that thing Cartyer said back in Season 1 was cos' i didn't really pay that much attention back then! lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Kip_Cathey_Furlings_are_Cats
          Carter said it in... oh, I don't remeber what epi. The iris sits only 3 micrometers from the gate itself, which is to small a space for anything, including the vortex to re-integrate.
          I think is was in the episode, The Enemy Within. She mentioned that matter cannot reintergate with the iris closed.

Comment

thats the one with polasky EDIT*Kawalsky* dying right?...man i should really watch season 1 again!
            Last edited by Grin; 25 February 2005, 02:38 PM.

Comment

thats the one with polasky dying right?...man i should really watch season 1 again!
              .....it's kawalsky

Comment

polasky...lol thats Star Trek!....man i need sleep!

Comment

thanks for welcome, yeah signed up while back but ahevn't posted in a while. I'd answer your other question but i don't know what a "fic writer" is...meh i'm new i need to learn the jargon.

Was that thing Cartyer said back in Season 1 was cos' i didn't really pay that much attention back then! lol.
                  Someone who writes stories based on a show, movie, book, or other material owned by someone else. It's called fanfiction, and its real neat to read.

Click the link in my signitare or go to fanfiction.net to read some, I think you'll like it.

Comment

The only 'matter' that has ever formed when the iris was closed was subatomic particles Sokar shot at it in 'Serpent's Song'.
                    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

Comment

Why does Earth's Stargate have an iris?
                      The iris was installed in the first episode ("Children of the Gods") as a protection against unwanted arrivals. Once it was determined that anyone on another planet could dial up Earth, and that many of the people who would want to do that were hostiles, it was decided that some form of protection was warranted. On a planet like Abydos, the answer was simply to bury the Stargate, but Earth wanted to explore -- and so needed to find another way to control incoming traffic.

Every member of an Earth SG team carries a G.D.O. (short for "garage door opener"), which allows the team member to transmit a numerical ID signal to Earth so that iris will be opened.

What is the iris made of?
                      The original iris, installed in "Children of the Gods,", was made of titanium. After it was destroyed by a blackhole's gravity in "A Matter of Time," a new iris was installed. It is composed of a titanium-trinium alloy. (Trinium is the metal found on the Salish Indians' world in "Spirits," and is approximately 100 times stronger than steel.)

Has anyone ever penetrated the iris?
                      Multiple times, actually. The Goa'uld Sokar bombarded the iris with a partical weapon, threatening the iris' integrity and broadcasting an image and sound ("Serpent's Song"). A Re'tu called "Mother" deactivated the iris herself from the SGC computer to let Charlie enter the SGC ("Show and Tell"). The Tollan -- an advanced and nonhostile race -- used their phase-shift technology to walk right through the iris ("Pretense"). And the Asgard caused a power drain at the SGC and prevented the iris from being closed ("Small Victories").

Why is the iris not disintegrated by the wormhole?
                      There is a microscopic gap between the iris and the wormhole event horizon -- less than a few microns ("Serpent's Song"). Just as the iris does not allow matter to reintegrate, so also does it not allow whatever it is that makes up the "whoosh" to burst forth. Though the Stargate is occasionally activated with the iris already closed, the "whoosh" does not reintegrate and affect the iris. It is apparently not necessary in order for a wormhole to be established.

Doesn't SG-1 risk being splattered against another planet's iris?
                      After making first contact with a new Stargate, the S.G.C. always sends a M.A.L.P. probe through to check the area. Missions are only considered if the planet appears safe and a D.H.D. can be found near the gate, so that the team can return home.
                      gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                      so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                      love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by qasimjavid
                        The iris was installed in the first episode ("Children of the Gods") as a protection against unwanted arrivals. Once it was determined that anyone on another planet could dial up Earth, and that many of the people who would want to do that were hostiles, it was decided that some form of protection was warranted. On a planet like Abydos, the answer was simply to bury the Stargate, but Earth wanted to explore -- and so needed to find another way to control incoming traffic.

Every member of an Earth SG team carries a G.D.O. (short for "garage door opener"), which allows the team member to transmit a numerical ID signal to Earth so that iris will be opened.

The original iris, installed in "Children of the Gods,", was made of titanium. After it was destroyed by a blackhole's gravity in "A Matter of Time," a new iris was installed. It is composed of a titanium-trinium alloy. (Trinium is the metal found on the Salish Indians' world in "Spirits," and is approximately 100 times stronger than steel.)

Multiple times, actually. The Goa'uld Sokar bombarded the iris with a partical weapon, threatening the iris' integrity and broadcasting an image and sound ("Serpent's Song"). A Re'tu called "Mother" deactivated the iris herself from the SGC computer to let Charlie enter the SGC ("Show and Tell"). The Tollan -- an advanced and nonhostile race -- used their phase-shift technology to walk right through the iris ("Pretense"). And the Asgard caused a power drain at the SGC and prevented the iris from being closed ("Small Victories").

There is a microscopic gap between the iris and the wormhole event horizon -- less than a few microns ("Serpent's Song"). Just as the iris does not allow matter to reintegrate, so also does it not allow whatever it is that makes up the "whoosh" to burst forth. Though the Stargate is occasionally activated with the iris already closed, the "whoosh" does not reintegrate and affect the iris. It is apparently not necessary in order for a wormhole to be established.

After making first contact with a new Stargate, the S.G.C. always sends a M.A.L.P. probe through to check the area. Missions are only considered if the planet appears safe and a D.H.D. can be found near the gate, so that the team can return home.
                        A mind of information ...

Watched serpents song the other day for the first time ... good ep ... its amazing how i keep missing the same episodes over the years ... there are a handful i'm dying to see

Comment

Originally posted by qasimjavid

Couldn't explained it better.

Comment

how does the gate go on if it doesn't do the big whoooosh thing. I understand the whole matter re-intergrating thing
                            Oneil: You ended the sentence in a preposition, you ba$tard!

Comment

I was wondering if magnetic field lines can travel through a wormhole? if they can wouldn't it be possible to set up eddy currents in the iris which would set up a magnetic field which would make it possible to move the iris into contact with the wormhole therefore destroying it.

Comment

Working...
                              X