Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why isn't Sarah projected as a hologram? (SPOILERS S3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why isn't Sarah projected as a hologram? (SPOILERS S3)

In season 3, it is established that Five managed to salvage a neural imprint of Sarah and upload her to a self-contained data node.
    But so far, whenever the crew want to talk with her, they have to enter the virtual world of the data node to do so.
    In the latest episode I've seen, she mentions while she has complete freedom to redecorate and reprogram the environment as she chooses, she's still just trapped in a room.

Which got me wondering, considering they've established that holograms can be projected anywhere inside the Rasa, especially mobile AI holograms, why don't they just allow Sarah to project herself like this?
    She wouldn't have an actual solid presence, but she'd would gain the benefit of social interaction and being able to live as a member of the crew.

You've got a good point there. There are a number of ways they could improve her quality of life:

- holo-presence as you said
    - using Transfer Transit clones so she can have a real "human" body, at least for three days at a time (they've got the pods on board so access is not an issue)
    - using an android body for something a little more permanent

Maybe they just haven't gotten around to it.

Next episode will focus on androids, hopefully at some point they'll say: "Hey, we've got a human-turned-sentient-AI in our computer needing some mobility, got any spare spare bodies you're willing to part with?"
    Carter: "The singularity is about to explode!"

Comment

Or perhaps they could just make an android version of her original body as a custom job.
      It has been suggested it is fairly easy to retool the external appearance of an android.

However, I don't think they'd actually be able to explain the reason why they need a customized android, given that there is a lot of hostility towards androids being anything other then a servant.

But maybe the Android underground would be more understanding/sympathetic to Sarah's situation and give the Raza what they need.
      The episode ended with them calling the Raza Android for help, so maybe that plot will develop over time.

Comment

Originally posted by Tilarta View Post
        Or perhaps they could just make an android version of her original body as a custom job.
        It has been suggested it is fairly easy to retool the external appearance of an android.

However, I don't think they'd actually be able to explain the reason why they need a customized android, given that there is a lot of hostility towards androids being anything other then a servant.

But maybe the Android underground would be more understanding/sympathetic to Sarah's situation and give the Raza what they need.
        The episode ended with them calling the Raza Android for help, so maybe that plot will develop over time.
        I really hope they do something like that, since completly forgetting about her situation seems somewhat stupid. Actually, all possibilities seem too obvious. So lets see what road they choose. Though my bet is at her getting impatient and taking over Android. After that she would either be locked off or they will once again have the choice of giving her a temporary body, a permanent one or at least a Hologram. However after the events I just mentioned, she surely wont be given access over the Systems again, ergo no Hologram.
        Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
        Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
        There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

I'm wondering if we might not see a resolution in next weeks episode. Because at the beginning of Episode 9(paradox) they had a scene with her and three and how frustrated she was. I think this might be a tie-in to next week which features the Andoid and the droids from the last season.

Comment

From what I have seen of Sarah, she's not the type to bodyjack the Android just to have corporeal existence.
            She might do so if it was strictly necessary, like if the Android was hacked again, but she'd never do it permanently.

Besides, I think Sarah's ability to interact with the ship's systems is limited.
            When she warns Five that Rio Ishida is about to arrive, she has to do so through a text based interface on Five's personal workstation.
            But she can bring in virtual display screens to control certain aspects of the Raza, as shown when she helps Five do a cyberware lobotomy of the android bodyjacker.

Alternatively, what if she becomes the ship?
            Like EDI in Mass Effect.
            It's a bit hard to hack the Raza if the OS is a functioning AI based on a human mind.
            Sarah: Command codes, oh please, try again next year.

Comment

From what I have seen of Sarah, she's not the type to bodyjack the Android just to have corporeal existence.
              She might do so if it was strictly necessary, like if the Android was hacked again, but she'd never do it permanently.

Besides, I think Sarah's ability to interact with the ship's systems is limited.
              When she warns Five that Rio Ishida is about to arrive, she has to do so through a text based interface on Five's personal workstation.
              But she can bring in virtual display screens to control certain aspects of the Raza, as shown when she helps Five do a cyberware lobotomy of the android bodyjacker.

Alternatively, what if she becomes the ship?
              Like EDI in Mass Effect.
              It's a bit hard to hack the Raza if the OS is a functioning AI based on a human mind.
              Sarah: Command codes, oh please, try again next year.
              That could be fun too! Not sure if the character would be content with that role, but she could at least get the option of using transfer Transit to get out of it sometimes, much like the Android could become more human if she wishes. BTW, how was her Module damaged? I just remember her getting them out last time.
              Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
              Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald

Comment

Module?
                Do you mean the cryostasis pod?

It wasn't damaged, power fluctations when Wendy was flying the Raza into the nearest star turned it off and Sarah died before fully reviving as the disease progressed to final stage.

However, that pod was later thrown out an airlock where there was a mind controlling parasite trapped inside it, so they don't have it anymore.

Comment

Module?
                  Do you mean the cryostasis pod?

It wasn't damaged, power fluctations when Wendy was flying the Raza into the nearest star turned it off and Sarah died before fully reviving as the disease progressed to final stage.

However, that pod was later thrown out an airlock where there was a mind controlling parasite trapped inside it, so they don't have it anymore.
                  No, she said she accidently damaged the Human Mod in her last mission.
                  Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
                  Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald

Comment

Well we do get a resolution, as I thought, (sort of) in Episode 10.
                    Interesting to see how that develops.

Comment

Originally posted by tomstone View Post
                      [...] BTW, how was her Module damaged? I just remember her getting them out last time.
                      Originally posted by tomstone View Post
                      No, she said she accidently damaged the Human Mod in her last mission.
                      Joseph Mallozzi explained it on reddit:

Ryo's merc hacked the Android through a vulnerability in the software upgrade, which ended up damaging the upgrade.
                      Carter: "The singularity is about to explode!"

Comment

The Module wasn't damaged as the result of a mission.
                        Episode Isn't That a Paradox?, when the Blink Drive activates it's temporal jump recall program, it released an EMP burst that stuns all the crew, including the Android.
                        Which had the side-effect of damaging the upgrade chip.

The next episode was supposed to be released the previous Sunday my time, but for some reason, it was not.
                        So unfortunately, I have not seen the next episode.
                        I was really looking forward to seeing an Android Resistance episode, given that it's a been a while since they last appeared.

Comment

Working...
                        X