Page 1 of 23 123411 ... LastLast

Arrow1 MGM Announces New Original Series "Stargate Origins"

From GateWorld:

MGM Announces New Original Series
    Stargate Origins

The long night is nearly over, as MGM has announced today that it plans to re-open the Stargate with a new original, live-action series.

Stargate Origins will help to launch the studio’s new digital platform and fan experience, suitably called "Stargate Command." The subscription service will be the show’s exclusive home, as well as providing fans with additional content, developed for streaming to any device — television, phone, tablet, etc.

First, the show itself: Stargate Origins is a 10-episode digital series, which will explore the untold backstory of Catherine Langford — who first appeared in the 1994 feature film and then in Stargate SG-1's first season. "Young Catherine embarks on an unexpected adventure to unlock the mystery of what lies beyond the Stargate in order to save Earth from unimaginable darkness."

Read the Full Story >
    Last edited by GateWorld; July 20th, 2017 at 07:05 PM.

Default Re: MGM Announces New Original Series "Stargate Origins"

I for one can not wait

This could go anywhere, From young characters on earth to the ancients and even the goa'uld could get a spot showing some story from their perspective? Who knows...
    Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend. (Bruce Lee)

A digital for-pay platform for stargate only? Do they want this to fail? Because that's how you get this to fail.

Will it be in line with the SG1 universe or are they starting over?

It doesn't sound like a reboot. I think it will be in the same universe as SG1/SGA/SGU
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Exploring space and time with the 9th doctor

Much as I love Stargate, I don't think it has the sort of mass appeal that even Trek does. I doubt it'll be enough to attract lots of subscribers to MGM's streaming service. Not to mention international viewers... At least ST Discovery will be available on Netflix outside the US.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v106/manephelien/avatars/deadtribbles.jpg

Defender

I'd be most willing to pay if I could also watch all the other Stargate shows at will. It's difficult to think of paying a monthly subscription fee year round for a show that only last 10 weeks...not to mention they are only 10 minute episodes. It will have to be pretty inexpensive compared to other streaming services that provide hundreds or thousands of movies/shows for under $10.

At least it's something
    Star Trek: The Original Series is and always shall be my favorite Star Trek television series

Quote Originally Posted by ScifigirlSG View Post
    At least it's something
    ^ That's what I was thinking as well.

I am curious even if also a little hasitating to be excited about that announcement

Quote Originally Posted by maneth View Post
    Much as I love Stargate, I don't think it has the sort of mass appeal that even Trek does. I doubt it'll be enough to attract lots of subscribers to MGM's streaming service. Not to mention international viewers... At least ST Discovery will be available on Netflix outside the US.
    From the sounds of it, it's a Stargate specific service. And it's not entirely pay-for-access.

Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

There is not much room for a prequel i think, unless a forgotten adventure, where the asgard make you forget ( or the Furrlings)

This sounds more like a small fan service. Hopefully it will attract enough followers/exposure (Digital MGM platform may be unlikely. ) Subscription based doesn't really help also not unless there is more Content coming ofc.

Would love to see the whole SG1 team together around a table in an restaurant at the end of the show reminiscing.

I'm always surprised to find still lots of Stargate fans wherever i go. Especially with the TV shows. Hopefully the Webseries is successful enough to jumpstart a continuation of a new series.
    Doesn't have to be Atlantis or Destiny or even specificly Sg1. ( new team ) New enemy if it is to be so.

Some Dynamics need to be changed, I don't mind if the Stargate program is now public to the world. Lucian Alliance probably have no in the mean time shocked the world with their presence. Lots of real time has passed so why not.

As long if the writing/characters and ofc the Humour is still there it will be atleast equally succeful as Sg1/SgA.
    Eagles On Pogo sticks

Quote Originally Posted by Psyku View Post
    Some Dynamics need to be changed, I don't mind if the Stargate program is now public to the world. Lucian Alliance probably have no in the mean time shocked the world with their presence. Lots of real time has passed so why not.
    If it gets (truly) revived, it will almost certainly be a reboot or reimagination. It's simply impossible to get new viewers if they have to watch 17 seasons of Stargate plus 3 movies to have some idea of what's going on.

We don't know much about Origins, for all we know it could be a backdoor pilot to a reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by thekillman View Post
    If it gets (truly) revived, it will almost certainly be a reboot or reimagination. It's simply impossible to get new viewers if they have to watch 17 seasons of Stargate plus 3 movies to have some idea of what's going on.

We don't know much about Origins, for all we know it could be a backdoor pilot to a reboot.
    Dunno not sure if those shows are on Netflix. But Amazon Prime has those them and there might be other streaming services. People do like to binge, also recently met people who discovered Sg1 just recently and went through it like it was nothing.
    The show holds up really well. Maybe that some pop culture references are hazy today, but that's about it. Simpsons is still on TV

And SG1 also had amazing episodes of what has happened before (s01e20 Politics for example). Something that also could include that in a new show.

But sure a Reboot/Imagination is also possible, but think there lies a risk there because lots of reboots have failed through out the years. There is still an existing and very large fan base of the shows. And bringing that back to the fold is not as hard. Starting a new one is way harder. One of the reasons the Movie Trilogy reboot didn't go through is because Id4 2 didn't meet the expectations. May or may not have been a large factor but has certainly played a part and that was a semi reboot.
    Eagles On Pogo sticks

Defender

I was able to watch Atlantis and Universe just fine without ever watching SG1. There were a handful of references I didn't understand but they were fine all by themselves. A new series , set after SG1/SGA/SGU, could do fine as long as they give a little backstory of the gate program in general in the first few episodes it would be fine. Which this new Origins could be the buildup to. As long as its relatively successful.

While a new tv series would've been nice, this is a step in the right direction to open up that possibility in the future. So it's something, which is better than nothing.

Cool Re: MGM Announces New Original Series "Stargate Origins"

The Good:
    It's a new live action show.

The Bad:
    It's a prequel.
    It's not the original production company or any of the writers.
    It's 10 webisodes.
    It's (allegedly) behind a paywall.

So, on balance that's a whole lot of hmmmm from me, feeling that it's oversold.

But I'm sure I'll subscribe, I'm sure I'll watch, I'm sure I'll vouch for its success any way I can (even though I have no obligation to, and if any MGM folks are reading, I would think the opposite is true, yes?) including with my wallet.

But there's only so many times one can go to that well.

Major

I don't get why any studio or company thinks putting content behind another paywall or streaming app that isn't already Netflix or prime thinks it's going to succeed. Sure you'll get a handful of users but the majority won't A) know it even exists and B) bother to sign up for another service to keep track of and shell out money for.
    It's why the new Star Trek will ultimately fail as well, despite the fanfare they're booming around it already.

I believe it would have been better to announce the "Origins" as new SG related tv movie or a thrid DVD movie. Because it sounds cool as a new "series", but even if I am a hardcore SG fan, it is only a webseries. I am a bit worried that people will expect a high quality product and then we will be disappointed. The SG:U comic has got a terrible quality as well, so I don't know what the MGM thought with that product. Back to the SG:O. If the Stargate : Origins would be counted as a new spinoff then we need new characters, new villains, new technologies etc. Simply 10x10 minutes is not enough to establish such things. Even the playtime will be much shorter if we deduct the main theme and the end theme. So anyway I am happy that we see some development on the SG franchisem, but I would have been much happier with a 90 minutes long new DVD movie or a mini-series which could be the first step to start a new SG spinoff series.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

http://picasaweb.google.com/103478402021017098633

Dunno not sure if those shows are on Netflix. But Amazon Prime has those them and there might be other streaming services. People do like to binge, also recently met people who discovered Sg1 just recently and went through it like it was nothing.
    The show holds up really well. Maybe that some pop culture references are hazy today, but that's about it. Simpsons is still on TV
    That wasn't my point. my point is, that's a few hundred hours (300+ episodes at 45 mins per episode, give or take) of TV just to understand what's going on with the series. It's simply crazy. The average viewer is not going to do that. I don't do that.

But sure a Reboot/Imagination is also possible, but think there lies a risk there because lots of reboots have failed through out the years. There is still an existing and very large fan base of the shows. And bringing that back to the fold is not as hard
    The problem with many reboots has simply been that they made rushed crap nobody asked for. Independence day was sort of fun, but it wasn't a terribly exciting or unique movie. Fantastic Four was a rushed hell. DC's attempts have all been hampered by interference and inconsistent storywriting.

There is nothing wrong with a reboot in itself, provided it is done well. Hell, Marvel got people excited for Guardians of the Galaxy, a bunch of comic book nobodies nobody heard of. Or Ant Man, another completely unknown guy. I don't see why people wouldn't get excited for Stargate again.

One of the reasons the Movie Trilogy reboot didn't go through is because Id4 2 didn't meet the expectations. May or may not have been a large factor but has certainly played a part and that was a semi reboot.
    It seems that MGM gave up their confidence in Emmerich/Devlin after that, yea.