• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No idea.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Oh boy, just saw on twitter that shooting on origins wrapped...

Wonder what that will give (or not really to be honest...).

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
        Is there such a thing as Dude-ette?
        I always thought the female term for dude was chick?
        "Dude" has gone through so many iterations, i think it can mean anything at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
          "Dude" has gone through so many iterations, i think it can mean anything at this point.
          Personally, I'm like FH in that I use dude as a gender neutral term, but yeah.
          sigpic
          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4agbnIv_fTQ

I don't want to make early pre-judgements, but this one looks horrible. The "actors" are terrible like in a fan movie.... The gate looks so plastic and different. The only good thing was the sand dunes. I am really-really disappointed what I have seen so far.
            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4agbnIv_fTQ

I don't want to make early pre-judgements, but this one looks horrible. The "actors" are terrible like in a fan movie.... The gate looks so plastic and different. The only good thing was the sand dunes. I am really-really disappointed what I have seen so far.
              Well, what can I say but "told you so". Personnally it meets all my expectations up until now.

And trust me, those expectations were very low. Am I glad I uninstalled the app weeks ago and never paid for this.

To quote someone on another forum: quality- and budget-wise it looks like something straight from the disney channel.

Think some first year directing students could pull this off too.

Comment

At least the actress looks okay who plays Catherine and obviosly Connor T is a great actor. But everyone else? I couldn't decide if it is a drama or a comedy or a mix of styles? Seriously, I don't want to believe that MGM couldn't afford more money to hire better actors and crew.

I really hope this series won't be the last series in the franchise. I wish they sold the brand to Joe Flannigan or any other tv network who would invest enough money into it.
                "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

For me it's still not clear where they are going with this.

Forget all the official typical corporate marketing bull-sh*t like "it's for the fans", "because we care", ... None of their actions support this until now. None of their commitment, budget- and quality-wise, supports this.

It's basically a money-grab at the expense of, excuse me but can't put it any more nicely, the naive spectrum of the fan community.
                  Can't really see it any other way.

Comment

2 days have passed and nobody commented. Is the GateWorld really so abadonned by the fans? I will give a chance to the Stargate : Origins, but I am still not convinced it will be okay as well.

Honestly the Stargate : Command website started really lately. I have got all the official DVDs at home, so why would I pay for it? Most of the articles or videos will be readable online anyway. If they could invest money in increasing of the picture quality for SG-1 season 1-7 that could be way to convince the fans to join.

It could have worked on that way that they release new source materials which are part of the SG canon. We could have read the official SGC or Homeworld or Atlantis files, so we could read the report of other teams like official novellas / fan fictions. This way they could introduce new Goa'uld Systemlords, description of planets and races. So give some additional information content about the SG world...

Comment

At least the actress looks okay who plays Catherine and obviosly Connor T is a great actor. But everyone else? I couldn't decide if it is a drama or a comedy or a mix of styles? Seriously, I don't want to believe that MGM couldn't afford more money to hire better actors and crew.

I really hope this series won't be the last series in the franchise. I wish they sold the brand to Joe Flannigan or any other tv network who would invest enough money into it.
                      Maybe they just do not want to spend more money to get other good actors and crew, put in a few that people like and hope that will be enough to get the fans back to pay for it.

But then again if that theory is right it does not make sense to exclude some of the fans from even getting the chance to pay for the show

But as DrMckay says, the fans don't matter anymore, it is just the money that does, and this means invest as less money as you can to get out the most of it

Comment

I still think the best we can hope for is: this completely fails, MGM considers the franchise dead, cuts its losses and decides to sell the franchise on.

Then hopefully it gets in the hands of someone who does realize the potential and has the resources plus is not afraid to use them.

Or worst case scenario: this eventually leads to the dreaded Emmerich-reboot with a new trilogy that erases canon until now, ugh...

Comment

I don't want to hope that this new SG show will fail. I am still a loyal fan, but it doesn't reach my expectations.

Stargate : Worlds would have been a great addition to this world. The first drawings looked so cool : new Goa'uld clothes, Asgard techs. But then it was cancelled before they could finish it. I believe that game could have saved the live-action SG shows. Or if they could make an SG:A season 6 and SG:U season 1 at the same time.

Stargate is such an amazing tool to tell stories as once Mr. Cooper said in an interview. It is really rare opportunity to bring the viewers to an other planet without space ships. The writers could tell us so many different stories with this plot device while the core, the essence of our current present could be still there, so the viewers could feel that this could really happen now and not in the distant future.

I watch Star Trek : Discovery at the moment and you can clearly see how beautifully it was filmed. Amazing special effects in every episode, really a movie quality. I know that they have a budget of 8-9 million dollars / episode what an SG has never had. I can only imagine what would happen if Netflix could buy the right of Stargate.

Comment

Originally posted by DrMckay View Post
                            I still think the best we can hope for is: this completely fails, MGM considers the franchise dead, cuts its losses and decides to sell the franchise on.

Then hopefully it gets in the hands of someone who does realize the potential and has the resources plus is not afraid to use them.

Or worst case scenario: this eventually leads to the dreaded Emmerich-reboot with a new trilogy that erases canon until now, ugh...
                            I hope your worst scenario won't happen because to eraase what is canon in case of such a long running franchise as SG would be really bad

But if SG is sold to a company that takes better care of it and the fans maybe even, that would be great it still has so much of potential that is waiting to be used, and that is not with Orgins for sure

Comment

2 days have passed and nobody commented. Is the GateWorld really so abadonned by the fans? I will give a chance to the Stargate : Origins, but I am still not convinced it will be okay as well.
                              I was out of reach of internet at a friend's new place. Played in the snow and made a snowman. I had no time for Stargate shenanigans.
                              Therefore, I haven't actually seen the footage yet.

Honestly the Stargate : Command website started really lately. I have got all the official DVDs at home, so why would I pay for it? Most of the articles or videos will be readable online anyway. If they could invest money in increasing of the picture quality for SG-1 season 1-7 that could be way to convince the fans to join.
                              It wasn't too late, it was timed all wrong and not beta-tested so it was, and still is, bugged as hell.

The ill-timing of Origins not starting when the app/website started, that's what I would call bad marketing, but it is what it is. Nothing can be done about that now.

The fact also that quality is generally better on real streamingservices like Hulu and Netflix, or even on DVD. And that they only have the broadcasted episodes is enough to question the sincerity of the service. I mean, let's not forget that by the end of May 15, 2018 the streaming service will actually go away and all that remains is the newsfeed, the quizzes, the polls and the message board. That simply won't keep that website afloat -- not by a long shot.
                              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Something doesn't make sense here. FH has friends?

I think a lot of people have lost interest because of how poorly MGM managed the Command app. I don't expect Origins to sell that well. But everyone once in awhile I'm wrong. I refer to the FH friends thing
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X