Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

Default Re: MGM Announces New Original Series "Stargate Origins"

Quote Originally Posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
    We'll no doubt get a trailer anyway so you'll be able to sample it.
    Trailers are horribly unreliable for sampling.

I think someone should make an actual trailer from that teaser. I was thinking about doing it, but learning that Dial Home interviews will conveniently also be locked behind that freakin' all-access pay wall, I'm all turned off for this new installment.

If I'm not the fan they want to thank, I'm not going to squee and cheer for something I can't watch anyway. They can literally stick the gate where the sun doesn't shine, as far as I'm concerned.
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus
    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1201&dateline=1311771170
    icon & signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    They can literally stick the gate where the sun doesn't shine, as far as I'm concerned.
    Damn... Last thing you want to hear then is "unscheduled offworld activation".

Talk about a pain in the ass...

If I'm not the fan they want to thank, I'm not going to squee and cheer for something I can't watch anyway. They can literally stick the gate where the sun doesn't shine, as far as I'm concerned.
    My thoughts exactly, very well said

Quote Originally Posted by DrMckay View Post
    Damn... Last thing you want to hear then is "unscheduled offworld activation".

Talk about a pain in the ass...
    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1201&dateline=1311771170
    icon & signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon

Quote Originally Posted by Platschu View Post
    Maybe they sold or destroyed the old gate prop, but it doesn't mean that they can not build a new one for the SG:O.
    As far as i'm aware, all gates are gone. And it's pretty much tradition by now that each series has it's own gate design.

Quote Originally Posted by Platschu View Post
    So my vote would go for option 1, we have to treat it SG:O like an alternative universe.
    It means nothing. As far as SG1 goes, we're already in universe 3 or 4. Counting SGA and you can add 2 more. Count SGu and we're 3-4 more. We haven't been in the Main Universe since what, season 2? 3? Oh and i forgot Continuum which adds 2-3 more AU's. We treat whatever universe we follow as the Main Universe even when it's not.

But yea, all indications to me are that we are seeing a backdoor pilot attempt that, if successful, will almost certainly lead to a reboot. Which, to please the SG1 fans, they can simply frame as an alternate universe story. It won't be that hard to write an alternate series for SG1 where everything went differently, plenty of story to tell still.

Quote Originally Posted by thekillman View Post
    As far as i'm aware, all gates are gone. And it's pretty much tradition by now that each series has it's own gate design.

It means nothing. As far as SG1 goes, we're already in universe 3 or 4. Counting SGA and you can add 2 more. Count SGu and we're 3-4 more. We haven't been in the Main Universe since what, season 2? 3? Oh and i forgot Continuum which adds 2-3 more AU's. We treat whatever universe we follow as the Main Universe even when it's not.

But yea, all indications to me are that we are seeing a backdoor pilot attempt that, if successful, will almost certainly lead to a reboot. Which, to please the SG1 fans, they can simply frame as an alternate universe story. It won't be that hard to write an alternate series for SG1 where everything went differently, plenty of story to tell still.
    First, there is no "one gate per series". It only looks that way because of where those series are set. The pilots of Atlantis and Universe still showed the Milky-Way exactly as it did on SG-1 (minus the inconsistency with sound effects and lights). A number of episodes in both series also showed the Milky Way gate (again, Universe had an error where there were twice the amount of symbols, but it was the same physical prop). It has also been said time and again that the gate in the SGC was the one found in Egypt. So Stargate Origins seems to contradict itself.

Second, there is only one universe, the Stargate-universe. This is everything that happened in all three shows, regardless of how many times they changed the timeline. Technically, there are three (the film and its novels, the television franchise, and Infinity). Then the television franchise has an Expanded Universe with the novels and comics (and games for as much as they exist). There's a difference between alternate timelines (Continuum, Moebius, etc.), alternative universes (the Quantum Mirror and Ripple Effect), and the continuity "universe" of the franchise.

MGM said Stargate Origins is part of the "main franchise", which is the Stargate-universe as created by Brad Wright, Robert C. Cooper and Jonathan Glassner, where the Stargate that was found in Egypt has nine equal chevrons that light up, Catherine did not step through the gate until 1997/8, the gate was brought to America in 1939 and was activated once in 1945, without Catherine knowing about it. There are no amount of "alternate timelines", "universes" or "retcons" that can justify these easily fixable mistakes.

The Abrams Star Trek films are an alternate timeline. Are they "canon"? No, by Abrams' own words. They are separate from the "main universe" which comprises all the TV series and the main films. Discovery is also supposed to be in that main universe, but like SG:O makes a lot of contradictions.

No matter what other people think, this seriously breaks the suspension of disbelief. Simply put, MGM lied to us fans, regardless of how much you like or not like SG:O. The app is not for "us", "we" cannot subscribe and get access to Origins. They are not taking the main franchise that ran for fourteen years straight seriously any more. How difficult is it really to stay "true" to an existing franchise? To really listen to the fans who cry out that they're doing something wrong? I don't mean making SG:O instead of SGU S3, but about the errors in SG:O.

There are always people who like it and not like it. It happened with Thunderbirds and MacGyver, but it is a fact that it's nothing like the original, and it's nowhere even near as good as the original. If you want a reboot, fine, but take the existing fans seriously and treat them well, because they made the franchise a success in the first place. If no-one watched it, it would've been cancelled right away.

TL;DR. SG:O is supposed to be "canon", but it isn't. MGM won't take us seriously and ignores about three-quarters of the fanbase.

Well, nivao, that was ... very honest of you. And would get you a downvote on the message feed of Stargate Command -- I know this to be true since I've had a few over the same sort of posting.

I second your post.

Well, nivao, that was ... very honest of you. And would get you a downvote on the message feed of Stargate Command -- I know this to be true since I've had a few over the same sort of posting.

I second your post.
    That's why I'm very much ignoring the app and its "forum". I was half afraid my post would get some negative criticism even here, so I was prepared to apologize for ranting. It's just that, as a devoted fan I can't get it why other "devoted fans" would like SG:O so much. I read a lot of tweets from Stargate Command and the replies to it from so-called "fans" who love what they are doing. I just don't get it. I understand if people like it. Maybe I can even get to like it, but on it's own, not as a "proper continuation of the Stargate franchise that stays true to its canon". I just can't see why it would be a proper continuation. I don't really have anything against prequels and miniseries or webseries, it's purely the way MGM is going about this and the writing on SG:O.

I'm actually considering unfollowing Stargate on Facebook and Twitter, uninstalling the app completely and unsubscribing every newsletter from MGM or Stargate. I don't want anything to do any more with MGM or Stargate Origins and the so-called "fans".

Nivao, -ranting- is what we do best
    From what I can gather, SG:O is an alternate timeline, and I'm down with that, make it good, make it stargate and I have no problems, but DON'T tell me it's SG-1 or SGA , or even SGU.
    It's a reboot, sell it on that merit, it worked for SG-1, which was a reboot of the movie, and it worked.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet

Quote Originally Posted by nivao View Post
    That's why I'm very much ignoring the app and its "forum". I was half afraid my post would get some negative criticism even here, so I was prepared to apologize for ranting. It's just that, as a devoted fan I can't get it why other "devoted fans" would like SG:O so much. I read a lot of tweets from Stargate Command and the replies to it from so-called "fans" who love what they are doing. I just don't get it. I understand if people like it. Maybe I can even get to like it, but on it's own, not as a "proper continuation of the Stargate franchise that stays true to its canon". I just can't see why it would be a proper continuation. I don't really have anything against prequels and miniseries or webseries, it's purely the way MGM is going about this and the writing on SG:O.

I'm actually considering unfollowing Stargate on Facebook and Twitter, uninstalling the app completely and unsubscribing every newsletter from MGM or Stargate. I don't want anything to do any more with MGM or Stargate Origins and the so-called "fans".
    It's like looking into a mirror... ...though I don't follow Stargate-related pages on Facebook, and on Twitter I follow three, which does include Stargate Command. The other two are Gateworld and Stargate Fans United whose owner writes articles for GW.

I uninstalled the app cause it was crashing more than it was working and draining my battery dry, plus the poor quality and off it went. Put a hiking app in its place.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    From what I can gather, SG:O is an alternate timeline, and I'm down with that, make it good, make it stargate and I have no problems, but DON'T tell me it's SG-1 or SGA , or even SGU.
    Yeah, but making an alternate timeline and then drawing fans to your platform by putting interviews on there with actors of sg1?

Doesn't seem right either does it?
    I can certainly understand the sentiment above, about turning away from the franchise.
    I'm starting to detest every aspect of it in its current direction and format.

They've taken something great and turned it around in a commercial monstrosity.

Shame really, but can't say it's coming as a surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by DrMckay View Post
    ...drawing fans to your platform by putting interviews on there with actors of sg1?
    For the record, those Dial Home interviews can only be watched with all-access pass so at the moment they care more about the money than drawing in "fans".