No announcement yet.

MGM Announces New Original Series "Stargate Origins"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While a new tv series would've been nice, this is a step in the right direction to open up that possibility in the future. So it's something, which is better than nothing.

Comment

The Good:
      It's a new live action show.

The Bad:
      It's a prequel.
      It's not the original production company or any of the writers.
      It's 10 webisodes.
      It's (allegedly) behind a paywall.

So, on balance that's a whole lot of hmmmm from me, feeling that it's oversold.

But I'm sure I'll subscribe, I'm sure I'll watch, I'm sure I'll vouch for its success any way I can (even though I have no obligation to, and if any MGM folks are reading, I would think the opposite is true, yes?) including with my wallet.

But there's only so many times one can go to that well.
      Author of 'The Legend of the Locust' Sci Fi Series

Worked on SGU (a little)

Comment

I don't get why any studio or company thinks putting content behind another paywall or streaming app that isn't already Netflix or prime thinks it's going to succeed. Sure you'll get a handful of users but the majority won't A) know it even exists and B) bother to sign up for another service to keep track of and shell out money for.
        It's why the new Star Trek will ultimately fail as well, despite the fanfare they're booming around it already.

Comment

I believe it would have been better to announce the "Origins" as new SG related tv movie or a thrid DVD movie. Because it sounds cool as a new "series", but even if I am a hardcore SG fan, it is only a webseries. I am a bit worried that people will expect a high quality product and then we will be disappointed. The SG:U comic has got a terrible quality as well, so I don't know what the MGM thought with that product. Back to the SG:O. If the Stargate : Origins would be counted as a new spinoff then we need new characters, new villains, new technologies etc. Simply 10x10 minutes is not enough to establish such things. Even the playtime will be much shorter if we deduct the main theme and the end theme. So anyway I am happy that we see some development on the SG franchisem, but I would have been much happier with a 90 minutes long new DVD movie or a mini-series which could be the first step to start a new SG spinoff series.
          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Psyku View Post
            Dunno not sure if those shows are on Netflix. But Amazon Prime has those them and there might be other streaming services. People do like to binge, also recently met people who discovered Sg1 just recently and went through it like it was nothing.
            The show holds up really well. Maybe that some pop culture references are hazy today, but that's about it. Simpsons is still on TV
            That wasn't my point. my point is, that's a few hundred hours (300+ episodes at 45 mins per episode, give or take) of TV just to understand what's going on with the series. It's simply crazy. The average viewer is not going to do that. I don't do that.

But sure a Reboot/Imagination is also possible, but think there lies a risk there because lots of reboots have failed through out the years. There is still an existing and very large fan base of the shows. And bringing that back to the fold is not as hard
            The problem with many reboots has simply been that they made rushed crap nobody asked for. Independence day was sort of fun, but it wasn't a terribly exciting or unique movie. Fantastic Four was a rushed hell. DC's attempts have all been hampered by interference and inconsistent storywriting.

There is nothing wrong with a reboot in itself, provided it is done well. Hell, Marvel got people excited for Guardians of the Galaxy, a bunch of comic book nobodies nobody heard of. Or Ant Man, another completely unknown guy. I don't see why people wouldn't get excited for Stargate again.

One of the reasons the Movie Trilogy reboot didn't go through is because Id4 2 didn't meet the expectations. May or may not have been a large factor but has certainly played a part and that was a semi reboot.
            It seems that MGM gave up their confidence in Emmerich/Devlin after that, yea.

Comment

Really exciting. Not the news I would have wanted but we have seen other shows like Sanctuary roll out into full TV after webisodes. Fingers crossed this is just the start!

Given the activity with the recent comics, the podcast, this announcement... I'm intrigued as to what is next!
              Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the ground. - Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jamesgilfoyle View Post
                but we have seen other shows like Sanctuary roll out into full TV after webisodes.
                That's a really good point. Getting more optimistic by the minute
                Author of 'The Legend of the Locust' Sci Fi Series

Worked on SGU (a little)

Comment

While i am going to take a look see and then decide if i'm going to watch, i am extremely sceptical. The original series(SG-1) gives them complete freedom to do whatever they want to do, and yet they pick a 'prequel'.
                  I'm not sure if they're just trying to milk this cow dry, but if it fails there will be nothing left of it. It looks like they are taking a huge risk to piss off most of the Stargate fans just because of their 'but muuum i wanna finish what i started' attitude. It can destroy everything SG-1 and the later shows built with a one 10 minute episode, and make the fans hate their guts for it. On a side note, the cast of SG-1 and Atlantis(even Universe) aren't getting any younger, so there won't be any time to fix their mess even if the conditions for it were perfect and all of the original cast came back for one last run(and to end Stargate the way it deserves to end).
                  I honestly hope they don't destroy everything, but the chance that it will happen is so big i am kinda sad in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Original Man View Post
                    ...with a one 10 minute episode...
                    For the record, it's not one 10-minute episode, it's ten 10-minute episodes (or thereabouts).
                    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Yeah, i know. I meant just one of those can be so bad to piss half of the fans off right away.

Comment

As an Internation fan, I'm double-bummed I can't watch it right away. However as someone who was completely resigned to a Stargate drought for the next 10 years, this news definitely came unexpected and obviously I'm happy to hear the franchise is not completely forgotten.

However, going by the description I noticed it said it's a prequel that's in the same canon as the shows which has me worried. Unless they're going for more of a slice of life drama with connections to the Stargate program, I don't see how they're going to fit Catherine into a Stargate adventure narrative since the first time she actually stepped through the thing was 1997.

Comment

Originally posted by Original Man View Post
                          Yeah, i know. I meant just one of those can be so bad to piss half of the fans off right away.
                          Considering half of the fandom can't watch it anyway, the other half better not get dissappointed. The faith of Stargate literally, once again, rests in the hands of the American fans.

Comment

I originally read that as that half the fandom can't agree
                            Originally posted by aretood2
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                              I originally read that as that half the fandom can't agree
                              LOL, also true though.

Comment

I enjoyed X-men, 1, 2 & 3. But then it got very confusing with all the spinoff/prequil/character specific movies that came out.
                                Old Xavier & old Magnito walk together to interview Jean, but before that, in X-men First Class, young Xavier is shot by young Magnito & can't walk anymore.
                                They completely ruined the whole thing.
                                In SG1 Catherine's BF/lover/fiance went through the gate, never to be seen again, Catherine didn't. Now the speculation is that in this new spinoff/prequil Catherine went through the gate, saved the world & came back, but her BF/etc. couldn't?
                                Backstories &/or prequils need to keep to the canon, not change it to suit the new writers.

That's just my opinion.
                                http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Working...
                                X