MGM Announces New Original Series "Stargate Origins"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    It's about licensing and broadcasting fees. It's about contracts and money.

The size of the fanbase has very little to do with it, that's just a party line.

Here you go, an article to explain it:

Here's How The TV Business Actually Works (And Why It's Going To Take Longer Than You Think To Disrupt It)
    Yes, I know, but why doesn't the fanbase size matter? I mean, it's basic math: more fans = more money, right? Six countries vs. sixty = more viewers = more money, right? This is the exact same problem that caused Stargate to remain a niche show and not get the fanbase (and thus money, and thus have a much bigger franchise) that it could have had. MGM did not market it properly, so they don't nearly get as much money as they should be able to. This is probably the biggest anachronism if we have to believe the way the TV business actually works. If it's all about the money, they're making sure they get very little of it.

There are no broadcasting fees and licensing, because MGM is streaming it themselves. They don't have to license it out to anyone, and there is no TV channel or streaming service like Netflix that is going to broadcast it. All they need to do is trademark "Stargate Command" in the countries (or in the EU itself, as that automatically takes care of all EU countries), then register the service for taxes and payment services and the like. Sure, that costs money, but it will earn a lot more in return.

Then there's the law. Yes, I know it sounds kind of naive, a big company actually following the law, but there are those laws that says streaming content should be equal throughout the EU.

If we simply have to believe MGM's reasons for setting this up, and if we have to believe how TV "really" works, then it's not working. The way I see it, I can't register for it. Even if I wanted to, which I actually did, I couldn't give MGM my money. And I'm definitely not the only one. So, by that statement, they're actually losing out on a lot more money than what they're actually getting.

Comment

Originally posted by nivao View Post
      Yes, I know, but why doesn't the fanbase size matter? I mean, it's basic math: more fans = more money, right? Six countries vs. sixty = more viewers = more money, right?
      Nope.
      It's -advertising- that pays for things, not just eyeballs. Your +3 viewers -might- see parts of the ads, your +7 viewers will skip them at a speed where you miss most of it, and your "online viewers" will cut them out entirely. If your show picks up tons of later views, it is popular, just not -must see- even with ads, and that does not cut it.
      This is the exact same problem that caused Stargate to remain a niche show and not get the fanbase (and thus money, and thus have a much bigger franchise) that it could have had. MGM did not market it properly, so they don't nearly get as much money as they should be able to. This is probably the biggest anachronism if we have to believe the way the TV business actually works. If it's all about the money, they're making sure they get very little of it.
      I see what you are saying, I'm just not sure if I totally agree. it's not that they want to make less, it's just that they failed to capitalize on it as well as they could.
      There are no broadcasting fees and licensing, because MGM is streaming it themselves. They don't have to license it out to anyone, and there is no TV channel or streaming service like Netflix that is going to broadcast it. All they need to do is trademark "Stargate Command" in the countries (or in the EU itself, as that automatically takes care of all EU countries), then register the service for taxes and payment services and the like. Sure, that costs money, but it will earn a lot more in return.
      There is little evidence that the "earning" will outweigh the cost, that's pure fan thinking. Economic thinking will trump fan thinking every day and twice on sundays.
      Then there's the law. Yes, I know it sounds kind of naive, a big company actually following the law, but there are those laws that says streaming content should be equal throughout the EU.
      Not sure what point you are making here.
      If we simply have to believe MGM's reasons for setting this up, and if we have to believe how TV "really" works, then it's not working.
      Yet, it does.
      The way I see it, I can't register for it. Even if I wanted to, which I actually did, I couldn't give MGM my money. And I'm definitely not the only one. So, by that statement, they're actually losing out on a lot more money than what they're actually getting.
      Exactly how much money were you personally planning to give?
      You are making fan assumptions, that because -you- like it, other people will.
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by nivao View Post
        Yes, I know, but why doesn't the fanbase size matter? I mean, it's basic math: more fans = more money, right?
        The part you're forgetting is that more fans doesn't mean more paying fans.
        Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
        I see what you are saying, I'm just not sure if I totally agree. it's not that they want to make less, it's just that they failed to capitalize on it as well as they could.
        Everything comes with a risk, and i think it's evident that MGM wasn't quite willing to take super-huge risks with the Stargate franchise. Although, in a sense, SGU was probably the biggest risk they took. But according to Mallozzi and co, TPTB were quite lenient when it came to the budget, and Stargate was a fairly safe investment for years.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
          Exactly how much money were you personally planning to give?
          20$ (US) -- I estimate the price to be the same in Pound Sterling (15,44 £), Euro (16,85 €), Canadian dollar (24,79 $) and Australian (25 $) & NZ dollar (27,94 $).

For a 9-month All-Access pass which expires on May 15, 2018.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

But we already knew that would be behind a pay-wall, so that's no surprise.
            I know. It was more a comment directed at the price being next to nothing but because there's still a price, I'm sure plenty of people will still be annoyed.
            sigpic
            Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
              I know. It was more a comment directed at the price being next to nothing but because there's still a price, I'm sure plenty of people will still be annoyed.
              Ah... oh... oops...

Actually, I think they'll be more annoyed when they've read the fine print and learn that the all-access to stargate command ends on May 15, 2018.

Comment

Originally posted by ScifigirlSG
                I'm still waiting for my Stargate:Origins t-shirt to arrive.
                Really people, don't any of you read the fine print before you commit to something?

From the FAQ on Stargatecommand.co:

When will my pre-sale exclusive T-shirt ship?

T-shirts will ship in October 2017.

Comment

I sure knew why I did not get hyped over the announcement of this

There are some cases where I will say, come take my money but this is not one of them. It is just disappointing how they treat the fans of the franchise, like cows to milk money from

Comment

I think, the biggest mistake in this particular case is alienating most of the larger fanbase.
                    6 countries get exclusive content, the rest of us can have the glorified GW rip-off (sorry, that's how I see it). Except that on GW the interviews, podcasts and cool stuff isn't hidden behind a pay-wall. Sure, we don't get to watch the entire stargate franchise, but come one... most of us have that sitting at home on a bookshelf on DVD or BlueRay.

However, it's no different than deciding a show's fate on one set of your audience.

Comment

For anyone outside of the 6 lucky countries, you can literally kiss later access goodbye.

Someone on Reddit contacted the Stargatecommand team about access outside of the 6 countries and they got a reply. This particular bit seemed interesting enough to post here:

"We set out to offer the largest collection of Stargate content ever assembled in one place to accompany the new Origins series - offering that on a consistent basis across all worldwide territories was simply not an option, but we did make sure the All-Access Pass would be available to as many countries as possible upon launch."

Here's the thread.

Maybe, this does not include Origins but I wouldn't put it passed them at this point.

Comment

I'd say they do not care about the fans but about the money, only that there is a big mistake in their thinking, if It was not only for 6 countries, they could earn more

That said, I live where I could watch it, but I am not going to because this way of making buisness is a way I do not want to support

But you are right of course Falcon, most of us do have their fave Stargate series on the shelf
                        Last edited by DarkenLycht; 17 September 2017, 07:28 AM.

Comment

True, but money does make the world go round unfortunately. Whether you agree with it or not.

Maybe, therefore it's for the best there isn't any news or any other stuff being dropped at regular intervals (except perhaps passed next week when the site launches) so that it doesn't constantly feel like salt in an open wound. Pitting the haves and havenots against one another is so awesome.

Comment

Maybe, therefore it's for the best there isn't any news or any other stuff being dropped at regular intervals (except perhaps passed next week when the site launches) so that it doesn't constantly feel like salt in an open wound. Pitting the haves and havenots against one another is so awesome.
                            Yes, I do agree with that, too, salt in wounds is not nice

Comment

Looks like Stargate Command is offline.

Couldn't reach the site earlier. Or it's being prepped to go online.

Comment

Does this link work for you? stargatecommand.co/
                                The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Working...
                                X