MGM Announces New Original Series "Stargate Origins"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
    As far as i'm aware, all gates are gone. And it's pretty much tradition by now that each series has it's own gate design.

It means nothing. As far as SG1 goes, we're already in universe 3 or 4. Counting SGA and you can add 2 more. Count SGu and we're 3-4 more. We haven't been in the Main Universe since what, season 2? 3? Oh and i forgot Continuum which adds 2-3 more AU's. We treat whatever universe we follow as the Main Universe even when it's not.

But yea, all indications to me are that we are seeing a backdoor pilot attempt that, if successful, will almost certainly lead to a reboot. Which, to please the SG1 fans, they can simply frame as an alternate universe story. It won't be that hard to write an alternate series for SG1 where everything went differently, plenty of story to tell still.
    First, there is no "one gate per series". It only looks that way because of where those series are set. The pilots of Atlantis and Universe still showed the Milky-Way exactly as it did on SG-1 (minus the inconsistency with sound effects and lights). A number of episodes in both series also showed the Milky Way gate (again, Universe had an error where there were twice the amount of symbols, but it was the same physical prop). It has also been said time and again that the gate in the SGC was the one found in Egypt. So Stargate Origins seems to contradict itself.

Second, there is only one universe, the Stargate-universe. This is everything that happened in all three shows, regardless of how many times they changed the timeline. Technically, there are three (the film and its novels, the television franchise, and Infinity). Then the television franchise has an Expanded Universe with the novels and comics (and games for as much as they exist). There's a difference between alternate timelines (Continuum, Moebius, etc.), alternative universes (the Quantum Mirror and Ripple Effect), and the continuity "universe" of the franchise.

MGM said Stargate Origins is part of the "main franchise", which is the Stargate-universe as created by Brad Wright, Robert C. Cooper and Jonathan Glassner, where the Stargate that was found in Egypt has nine equal chevrons that light up, Catherine did not step through the gate until 1997/8, the gate was brought to America in 1939 and was activated once in 1945, without Catherine knowing about it. There are no amount of "alternate timelines", "universes" or "retcons" that can justify these easily fixable mistakes.

The Abrams Star Trek films are an alternate timeline. Are they "canon"? No, by Abrams' own words. They are separate from the "main universe" which comprises all the TV series and the main films. Discovery is also supposed to be in that main universe, but like SG:O makes a lot of contradictions.

No matter what other people think, this seriously breaks the suspension of disbelief. Simply put, MGM lied to us fans, regardless of how much you like or not like SG:O. The app is not for "us", "we" cannot subscribe and get access to Origins. They are not taking the main franchise that ran for fourteen years straight seriously any more. How difficult is it really to stay "true" to an existing franchise? To really listen to the fans who cry out that they're doing something wrong? I don't mean making SG:O instead of SGU S3, but about the errors in SG:O.

There are always people who like it and not like it. It happened with Thunderbirds and MacGyver, but it is a fact that it's nothing like the original, and it's nowhere even near as good as the original. If you want a reboot, fine, but take the existing fans seriously and treat them well, because they made the franchise a success in the first place. If no-one watched it, it would've been cancelled right away.

TL;DR. SG:O is supposed to be "canon", but it isn't. MGM won't take us seriously and ignores about three-quarters of the fanbase.

Comment

Well, nivao, that was ... very honest of you. And would get you a downvote on the message feed of Stargate Command -- I know this to be true since I've had a few over the same sort of posting.

I second your post.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
        Well, nivao, that was ... very honest of you. And would get you a downvote on the message feed of Stargate Command -- I know this to be true since I've had a few over the same sort of posting.

I second your post.
        That's why I'm very much ignoring the app and its "forum". I was half afraid my post would get some negative criticism even here, so I was prepared to apologize for ranting. It's just that, as a devoted fan I can't get it why other "devoted fans" would like SG:O so much. I read a lot of tweets from Stargate Command and the replies to it from so-called "fans" who love what they are doing. I just don't get it. I understand if people like it. Maybe I can even get to like it, but on it's own, not as a "proper continuation of the Stargate franchise that stays true to its canon". I just can't see why it would be a proper continuation. I don't really have anything against prequels and miniseries or webseries, it's purely the way MGM is going about this and the writing on SG:O.

I'm actually considering unfollowing Stargate on Facebook and Twitter, uninstalling the app completely and unsubscribing every newsletter from MGM or Stargate. I don't want anything to do any more with MGM or Stargate Origins and the so-called "fans".

Comment

Nivao, -ranting- is what we do best
          From what I can gather, SG:O is an alternate timeline, and I'm down with that, make it good, make it stargate and I have no problems, but DON'T tell me it's SG-1 or SGA , or even SGU.
          It's a reboot, sell it on that merit, it worked for SG-1, which was a reboot of the movie, and it worked.
          sigpic
          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by nivao View Post
            That's why I'm very much ignoring the app and its "forum". I was half afraid my post would get some negative criticism even here, so I was prepared to apologize for ranting. It's just that, as a devoted fan I can't get it why other "devoted fans" would like SG:O so much. I read a lot of tweets from Stargate Command and the replies to it from so-called "fans" who love what they are doing. I just don't get it. I understand if people like it. Maybe I can even get to like it, but on it's own, not as a "proper continuation of the Stargate franchise that stays true to its canon". I just can't see why it would be a proper continuation. I don't really have anything against prequels and miniseries or webseries, it's purely the way MGM is going about this and the writing on SG:O.

I'm actually considering unfollowing Stargate on Facebook and Twitter, uninstalling the app completely and unsubscribing every newsletter from MGM or Stargate. I don't want anything to do any more with MGM or Stargate Origins and the so-called "fans".
            It's like looking into a mirror... ...though I don't follow Stargate-related pages on Facebook, and on Twitter I follow three, which does include Stargate Command. The other two are Gateworld and Stargate Fans United whose owner writes articles for GW.

I uninstalled the app cause it was crashing more than it was working and draining my battery dry, plus the poor quality and off it went. Put a hiking app in its place.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
              From what I can gather, SG:O is an alternate timeline, and I'm down with that, make it good, make it stargate and I have no problems, but DON'T tell me it's SG-1 or SGA , or even SGU.
              Yeah, but making an alternate timeline and then drawing fans to your platform by putting interviews on there with actors of sg1?

Doesn't seem right either does it?
              I can certainly understand the sentiment above, about turning away from the franchise.
              I'm starting to detest every aspect of it in its current direction and format.

They've taken something great and turned it around in a commercial monstrosity.

Shame really, but can't say it's coming as a surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by DrMckay View Post
                ...drawing fans to your platform by putting interviews on there with actors of sg1?
                For the record, those Dial Home interviews can only be watched with all-access pass so at the moment they care more about the money than drawing in "fans".

Comment

Wow, long time not been here, hey,
                  have you seen this update on the upcoming series?
                  https://nerdist.com/stargate-origins-teaser-first-look/
                  sigpic
                  ----------------------------
                  Stars are not the limit.....
                  The galaxies are not the limit....
                  Your imagination have the last word...

Raziel...

Comment

Originally posted by Raziel View Post
                    Wow, long time not been here, hey,
                    Welcome back. Can't speak for the entire forum, but don't think you'll find a lot of lovers of this "relaunch" in this specific thread

Comment

Don't misrunderstand my words. I always loved Stargate. I am still one of the biggest fan in Hungary as I am the moderator of the Hungarian fandom. Most of the Hungarians fan still love this universe and no new scifi show could fill the empty hole since they are not on air. Stargate is well respected amongs the scifi fans in Hungary. We have waited so long for some new SG adventures when they promised they will make 2 DVD movies every year in 2008. But since that even our forum is dead quiet. Fans have grown up, graduated from university or established families etc. But I am sure the flame of SG enthusiasm will come back if we get a good quality SG series.

But let's face it... Stargate : Universe or Stargate : Atlantis won't be continued. They sold and destroyed the main set. So even if magically MGM would give green light for a movies and maybe they would invest 8-10 million dollar into a new SG TV movie, the creators simply can't afford to rebuild the Atlantis and Destiny sets. If I remember well the SG:A set used to cost 5 million dollars. The Ori village was nearly 2 million dollars while an average SG episode cost 2-2,5 millions, so that is the reason they were forced to write so many lowbudget or "bottle" episodes. They could skip the problem of rebuilding of the sets with clever writing, but it wouldn't be the same.

So back to Stargate : Originals. I really want to love it, but somehow a little bell is just nonstoply ringing. It already sounds like a low-budget webseries, like a last little glimpse of Stargate, before they close down or hopefully sell the whole franchise. I always hoped in a new SG movie or spinoff, but this safety game is not really what the fans expected. Even the website is odd with these restrictions... So what do they want? Earn money or not? Why do they shut the rest of the world out? If they believe in the success of SG:O, then why have they not ordered it as a mini series (like 4 or 6 episodes). I am a bit sceptical that 100 mins is enough to establish a new show especially if the chosen lucky fans get in pieces.

Back to the stargate question. If you really want a new stargate in this new show then maybe they could use the gate from the posters of the Stargate movie. That was the one which had hieroglyphs on it. On the other hand, why would they use a different type of gate? We need our usual MW gate and a very good explanation why Catherine, her father and her fiance don't remember the activation. Probably it will be a different timeline or they will erase her memories.
                      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Dude, you're running a trailer behind.

And also, unless you're a resident of the USA, Canada, the United Kingdom, Germany, Australia or New-Zealand, you're not going to get access to this webseries.

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                        So back to Stargate : Originals.
                        It's Origins.

It already sounds like a low-budget webseries...
                        It is a low-budget, shortform webseries. All of it filmed in one industrial hangar, with probably a few exterior shots on location since we've seen the director looking at location sites in her production diary. But the cast is low-budget, with what's-his-name-who-played-Wraith-Michael probably being the most expensive one in the bunch. The rest of them are no-names in the American industry, including the director.

Even the website is odd with these restrictions...
                        Both the website and the application were build by TopFan, a relatively small company who specializes in offering companies, sport clubs, bands and musicians, big studios the tools to monetize their fanbase. So yes, the primary target is squeezing every last dollar from the people who are most likely to pay for it -- the dedicated fans.

However, the website and application are a mess. Plenty developers who have pointed out the flaws. I ran the website through an SEO Optimizer and the overall score is in the 60% range which basically means that it needs work. There are bugs, there's no H1-header which is the first thing a Google-crawler would look for, there are frames which are simply out of date as far as websites are concerned, frames also mess with loading times on smartphones.

And then I haven't touched on the quality of the episodes. There's no sound on season 7 of SG-1 and for the longest time there was no sound on season 2 of SGU. Episodes are mislabeled, or are in poor quality. They have the broadcasted episodes which are missing scenes and the reworked version of CotG.

The Dial Home interviews, while also locked behind the geolock, have the first two episodes for free but touch luck for anyone who is using the app on an Android system cause they have no sound. It's been pointed out for over 2 weeks now and it's still not fixed.

The messagefeed is a disaster. There's no way you can have a conversation there, like you can have here. And starting a thread means you can write 100 characters (less than the original 140 on twitter for cryin' out loud) and then you have to continue in the comments. However, writing your comment is writing your lines in an editor that only shows a single line. Most annoying. Also, no edit-button available, and no way to delete a post (comments yes, posts no). No moderation so spammers have free reign and therefore the same images are posted over and over and over again.

Most of the people who signed up in September are long gone, and haven't bothered sticking around.

That whole line about MGM thanking the fans is BS, and garnering interest for more Origin-stories is also BS. They already know what the fixed audience will be, and the only time the rest of us poor sods can show that there are more people interested still in Stargate than the chosen few, is when those 10-minute episodes are released. As the first two are free, it would be prudent to say, that crashing the site from everywhere that isn't the 6 countries could actually give us access next time. However, even that will not happen since the streaming service goes away on May 15, 2018 and nobody knows what MGM is planning after that day.

I sent an email to an MGM-person mentioned on the presspage, and beyond a Thanksgiving Out-of-Office I have had no reply. And yes, I was polite.

Back to the stargate question. If you really want a new stargate in this new show then maybe they could use the gate from the posters of the Stargate movie. That was the one which had hieroglyphs on it. On the other hand, why would they use a different type of gate? We need our usual MW gate and a very good explanation why Catherine, her father and her fiance don't remember the activation. Probably it will be a different timeline or they will erase her memories.
                        I think they are about to ignore the tv-franchise, and much like Devlin and Emmerich wanted to do, start over. And you can bet that won't go down well.

Comment

Some new production stills of the cast - https://www.stargatecommand.co/feeds...ins-set-photos

And a couple of other diary type articles -
                          https://www.stargatecommand.co/feeds...azing-director
                          https://www.stargatecommand.co/feeds...tting-the-part
                          sigpic
                          Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Oh, sorry, do you have the newest trailer? Like I said, long time, I've been dormant for years in the fandom
                            and I'm a dudette, not a dude and yes, I have access to contents in the USA
                            sigpic
                            Stars are not the limit.....
                            The galaxies are not the limit....
                            Your imagination have the last word...

Raziel...

Comment

Oh, sorry, do you have the newest trailer? Like I said, long time, I've been dormant for years in the fandom
                              Ah... hang on, I think Gateworld posted a link to the Behind-the-scenes-slash-trailer-slash-first-look...

I think this is the one -- though I'm at work and videos are blocked here.
                              If it's the teaser still, then I reccommed surfing to the Stargate Command website and browse their newsfeed. It's definitely there.

and I'm a dudette, not a dude and yes, I have access to contents in the USA
                              My "dude" is genderneutral...

Ah well ... I'm not, so pardon my cynical sarcasm.

Comment

Is there such a thing as Dude-ette?
                                I always thought the female term for dude was chick?
                                sigpic
                                ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                                A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                                The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Working...
                                X