Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 613141516171819 ... LastLast

Default Re: MGM Announces New Original Series "Stargate Origins"

Quote Originally Posted by thekillman View Post
    Maybe, but i don't think that's the goal. If Origin is successful, it'll likely be followed by an announcement of a sequel, one that imagines a slightly different Earth with a different setup exploring the galaxy of Origins.

If it fails, we'll treat it like Stargate Infinity.
    That's what I've been thinking too, except for the Infinity part.
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus
    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1201&dateline=1311771170
    icon & signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon

If it fails, we'll treat it like Stargate Infinity.
    Treat it like what?

Quote Originally Posted by mooseman View Post
    Treat it like what?
    Exactly

I have watched the Stargate : Infinity series. It is not as bad as you believe it. There were 4-5 really good episodes out of the 26. What I really enjoyed that they introduced at least 15-20 new races and guess what they even named as well! So if those races could exist in a future SG spin-off, I would be satisfied.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

http://picasaweb.google.com/103478402021017098633

I have to say I like the fact that Connor Trinneer is one of the actors in origins but then again it feels strange because, well he was Michael in SGA and now in a show of the same universe he plays someone else.
    To me that is kind of like they had Amanda Tapping play Carson's role in SGA instead of Sam, it would be strange too because you'd always have her in mind as Sam Carter

First Lieutenant

The Stargate shows have a track record of recycling actors for multiple parts

Quote Originally Posted by lightsyder View Post
    The Stargate shows have a track record of recycling actors for multiple parts
    It's that relatively small Canadian actor-pool they were dipping in, I guess.
    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1201&dateline=1311771170
    icon & signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    It's that relatively small Canadian actor-pool they were dipping in, I guess.
    From what i understood of Malozzi's blog, they would often casts someone in a minor role, liked the actor better than expected, and so decided to hire them again.

From what i understood of Malozzi's blog, they would often casts someone in a minor role, liked the actor better than expected, and so decided to hire them again.
    Which is a good thing actually only not at least in my opinion if you can clearly recognize the actor having been someone in a bigger role before

That's probably the way of it.

From what I recall of an interview with Claire Rankin, she got the part of Kate cause they remembered she had come in (as support) when Rachel had been auditioning for Teyla. So...

So, I was casually reading the article here on GW about Origins premiere date, which is February 15. I scrolled a little and there's a bit to the end where our very own Darren speculates about the format in which it will be released. He writes that it might be one episode a week, in contrast with Netflix' all-in-one-go.

While almost all of us won't be in a position to watch it, or won't watch out of principle or not interested. What do you think will be the release-format? All 10 episodes in one go? One episode a week, or maybe 2 episodes a week?

Reminder: it's 10 episodes of 10 minutes.

Personally, I think it's ridiculous to treat this as a 42-minute episode run and wait 7 days to release the next installment. Then again, with the marketing done, I wouldn't be surprised if MGM/Command (United Artists) fraks this up as well. 10 minute episodes, once a week -- the only good thing would be that in order to remember what happened the week before, the episode would probably be streaming again. If the streaming counter counts unique IP's then it won't make a difference in viewing numbers but if it doesn't, then it will automatically get skewed (the latter could lead to more Stargate, even though it be cheating the numbers, and is also not likely to happen).

Reminder: it's 10 episodes of 10 minutes.
    10 minutes? I doubt it's gonna be weekly. I watch plenty of 20 minute episode shows, and that's about the minimum you can have. It's just long enough to set up and pay off an A and B plot. 10 minutes a piece is nothing. You're basically into the episode and it's over.

So yea, i really really hope they don't do this in a weekly format. Although i haven't really thought about it, since i'm not even sure if i'm going to watch it at all.

10 minutes? I doubt it's gonna be weekly. I watch plenty of 20 minute episode shows, and that's about the minimum you can have. It's just long enough to set up and pay off an A and B plot. 10 minutes a piece is nothing. You're basically into the episode and it's over.

So yea, i really really hope they don't do this in a weekly format. Although i haven't really thought about it, since i'm not even sure if i'm going to watch it at all.
    It's not 10 different episodes with 10 different stories. It's one story, cut up into 10 episodes of 10 minutes. It's basically, a 100 minute film.

It's not 10 different episodes with 10 different stories. It's one story, cut up into 10 episodes of 10 minutes. It's basically, a 100 minute film.
    I know. But it means that the plot will either go back and forth a lot, meaning it feels like slow development, or it'll mean that you have a story literally cut into 10 pieces. I can't imagine watching a Game of Thrones episode (the recent ones were like an hour or so) and going "today on GOT: Daenary's scenes". Next week: See what the Night king has been up to. Or any movie and having a week-long break every 10 minutes.

I see what you mean.

Wow. We have got 2 new photos. Well done, SG:O marketing department!
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Quote Originally Posted by Platschu View Post
    Wow. We have got 2 new photos. Well done, SG:O marketing department!
    Really... where are they reported cause I can't find anything on Command, or they are hiding them from public view.

Nope... just a poll to measure excitement... which makes me resent MGM even more.

I'm gonna watch One False Step, and join Daniel in his happy place.

Ignore me. I believed this one was a fresh new article on GW, but it was published in December :
    https://www.gateworld.net/news/2017/...ce-characters/
    Silly me. I am going back to my sarcophagus.

There hasn't been anything new since the trailer. They really need to start picking up the marketing. TopFan at least is trying to get more people to interact more on the app by adding a little piece of software which pops up pop-up which tell you that you haven't visited in a while and that you should get back to the app cause you might be missing something. Hence why people keep getting pop-ups about all-access, including people who are not elligible for it which is very misleading because they don't say in the pop-up who is and who isn't elligible.