MGM Announces New Original Series "Stargate Origins"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Who Knows View Post
    Backstories &/or prequils need to keep to the canon, not change it to suit the new writers.

That's just my opinion.
    The thing is, there isn't much backstory/prequels to be had. We know what happened after the Gate was found, we know about every major travel through it.

To me, Origins looks like a stealth backdoor pilot. If Origins works, we'll likely see an announcement for a new show based upon this revised canon.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
      To me, Origins looks like a stealth backdoor pilot. If Origins works, we'll likely see an announcement for a new show based upon this revised canon.
      So basically throw out the TV-canon... oh yeah, that'll go down lovely.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
        So basically throw out the TV-canon... oh yeah, that'll go down lovely.
        Continuing the old canon is a pipe dream that'll never happen. 17 seasons is too much to ask for new viewers. Plus, stuff like Atlantis on earth and the Asgard Core have permanently ruined the series' future anyway.

Comment

Continuing the old canon is a pipe dream that'll never happen. 17 seasons is too much to ask for new viewers. Plus, stuff like Atlantis on earth and the Asgard Core have permanently ruined the series' future anyway.
          Before I got into Stargate, I watched Star Trek Voyager on TV (in the late nineties). I loved that show, until Stargate of course. Yet, it was only until about a few months ago that I got into Star Trek TOS, and now TNG on Netflix. I didn't much care for whatever came before until now.

Why can't some writer continue with the "real" canon (seriously, why call it "old")? Others can do it; I mean, novels, and now the comics, keep on coming. Fans keep making their own stories, and some seem to be pretty reasonable. Though not officially canon, Atlantis was intended to go back anyway. And what's wrong with the Asgard core? The only thing that ruins the future of any TV show, be it Stargate, Star Trek or Star Wars is not this stuff, it's the lack of imagination. Sure, not everyone will accept every idea, but life is full of compromises. And, well, you can't really please everyone all of the time.

Nevertheless, prequels shouldn't contradict existing canon. Though MGM promised it adds to the franchise, suggesting it is not a reboot or something, I agree that certain signs say otherwise. I will just look and see.

Comment

Originally posted by nivao View Post
            And what's wrong with the Asgard core?
            Because almost any plot point can be solved by asking the Core a solution and draw upon more than 100 000 years of asgard civilization to fix ANYTHING. there's absolutely no reason Earth can't modernize literally every aspect of existence simply by asking the Core to fix every problem on earth. Plus, because of the escalation of enemies, there is no enemy we can fight reasonably anymore. SG1 defeated literal gods. The only way to fix it is to either retcon or to come up with lame explanations, like everyone magically becoming immune to those weapons.

Comment

Because almost any plot point can be solved by asking the Core a solution and draw upon more than 100 000 years of asgard civilization to fix ANYTHING. there's absolutely no reason Earth can't modernize literally every aspect of existence simply by asking the Core to fix every problem on earth. Plus, because of the escalation of enemies, there is no enemy we can fight reasonably anymore. SG1 defeated literal gods. The only way to fix it is to either retcon or to come up with lame explanations, like everyone magically becoming immune to those weapons.
              We don't know if the core can do that. Not directly. Because the Wraith still aren't defeated. We still can't make our own Stargates. Even I can easily think up a few ideas of why the Core can't solve anything. In fact, I already did with some of my fan fiction. In terms of enemies, we barely did anything. It was the Asgard that gave us the beam weapons (which were only able to destroy Ori ships as long as the Core was aboard the ship), it was Merlin that gave us the Sangraal, it was the Ancients' Ark of Truth that allowed us to defeat the Ori followers, and it took Morgan le Fay to fight Adria and "keep her busy" for all eternity. All we did was use whatever we got, and there are a number of reasons why we can't keep using it. The beam weapons on the other ships are nowhere near as powerful as those on the Odyssey, with the Core connected, as they couldn't even scratch the ZPM-powered hive ship.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                Considering half of the fandom can't watch it anyway, the other half better not get dissappointed. The faith of Stargate literally, once again, rests in the hands of the American fans.
                Can you point me to where that was said?
                sigpic
                Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
                  Can you point me to where that was said?
                  In just about every article out there, written after SDCC.

From the article on GW:

"Stargate Origins will help to launch the studio’s new digital platform and fan experience, suitably called “Stargate Command.” The subscription service will be the show’s exclusive home, as well as providing fans with additional content, developed for streaming to any device — television, phone, tablet, etc.

[...]

Stargate Command will have both free elements and paid content for subscribers. The studio also hopes to make the platform available to the fan community worldwide, though international plans are still being hammered out. Expect updates on both of these fronts soon."

From The Verge article "Stargate is coming back as a digital-only prequel series"

"Stargate Origins will launch in 2017 on MGM’s new digital platform

Each episode of Origins will run 10 minutes in length, with the first season of 10 episodes available exclusively on a new website called Stargate Command. According to MGM’s announcement, Command will also be an official destination for all things Stargate, including a “variety of Stargate assets and content from the franchise’s nearly 25-year history.”
                  "

By which I would say, Origins is available through the digital platform, thus behind a pay-wall non-residents cannot access, while the rest of the Stargate content might be -- and one should stress the "might be" -- freely available.

The Terms of Use and Private Policy available on the Stargate Command website speak of content the likes of forums and the possibility to add content by users, thus I foresee a way to interact with fans around the globe much like we are doing now on Gateworld (although confined within the limitations of a forum -- beyond uploading of images GW is limited in as far as digital media goes).

From the TV Line article "Stargate Origins Series to Launch New MGM Digital Platform":

"MGM will explore Stargate Origins, as a means of launching its dedicated digital platform and fan experience, called Stargate Command.

MGM’s first premium digital series will follow a young Catherine Langford (played on SG-1 by Elizabeth Hoffman, pictured) as she embarks on an unexpected adventure to unlock the mystery of what lies beyond the Stargate in order to save Earth from unimaginable darkness. This 10-episode event series, produced by MGM’s Digital Group and entertainment studio New Form, will be directed by Mercedes Bryce Morgan and written by Mark Ilvedson and Justin Michael Terry.
                  "

From Vox.com -- "Stargate is returning with a prequel series about beloved archaeologist Catherine Langford"

"The 10-episode Stargate Origins will air on a dedicated new streaming service, Stargate Command.

Mercedes Bryce Morgan will direct Stargate Origins, with writing from Mark Ilvedson and Justin Michael Terry. Production is scheduled to begin in August. The series will stream on the franchise’s new subscription-based digital platform, which launches later this fall.
                  "

Edit

I tried looking for any press releases on the new digital platform MGM's starting up, but there's only the article about Sam Tole's hiring (their digital media wizzkid). But then I found another article on Multichannel News -- MGM Slates 'Stargate Origins' Digital Series

"MGM released a teaser trailer for the new show and said the new digital platform will have a mix of paid and free content.

[...]

With the increasing popularity of digitally native content that can be streamed to any device, MGM is committed to the production of premium linear mid-form content and are proud to launch with Stargate Origins.
                  "
                  Last edited by Falcon Horus; 30 July 2017, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the quotes. Based on them, I reckon it's a bit premature to say it'll only be available in the States. it quite clearly says they're working on being able to get Origins out there internationally.
                    Last edited by Elite Anubis Guard; 31 July 2017, 12:16 AM.
                    sigpic
                    Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

This is why only SGU could still work. It retains the tension because it's in a frontier far away for any of that technology to conveniently fix everything. Also, is it just me or did the whole "Lucian Alliance planning to attack Earth" thing fell completely flat? Compare that to the threat the Goa'uld posed to Earth when it had near zero hope of fighting against except for the element of surprise using the Stargate to a loose alliance of criminals with hijacked motherships going up against Earth with its own fleet of space ships, an Ancient City and access to the Asgard Core?

Point is, apart from SGU, Stargate in general couldn't continue because basically the good guys became too powerful...

Comment

Originally posted by jamesgilfoyle View Post
                        Really exciting. Not the news I would have wanted but we have seen other shows like Sanctuary roll out into full TV after webisodes...
                        I agree. I loved Sanctuary as a whole! Not just because Amanda Tapping was in it, but it was a refreshing sight to see.

Why did it ruin the future of SGA & SG1, respectively? It opens up the possibilities to a new direction the story might take us if ever they try to revitalize the three series in one, new TV series, which they can probably name "Stargate: Homeworld" or "Stargate Command".

I believe the comic series are canon to SGA & SGU.

That makes the Asgard Core second in line to the Ancient Repository of Knowledge. And yes, they can use it to dispose of any problem we have on Earth. It would also be of big help if they share the Asgard Core's information to all the Asgard Protected Planets.

Originally posted by nivao View Post
                        We don't know if the core can do that. Not directly. Because the Wraith still aren't defeated. We still can't make our own Stargates. Even I can easily think up a few ideas of why the Core can't solve anything. In fact, I already did with some of my fan fiction. In terms of enemies, we barely did anything. It was the Asgard that gave us the beam weapons (which were only able to destroy Ori ships as long as the Core was aboard the ship), it was Merlin that gave us the Sangraal, it was the Ancients' Ark of Truth that allowed us to defeat the Ori followers, and it took Morgan le Fay to fight Adria and "keep her busy" for all eternity. All we did was use whatever we got, and there are a number of reasons why we can't keep using it. The beam weapons on the other ships are nowhere near as powerful as those on the Odyssey, with the Core connected, as they couldn't even scratch the ZPM-powered hive ship.
                        It took 8 seasons to somehow defeat the Goa'uld in SG1. And SGA elaborated that there are over 60 Wraith hives in the galaxy 10,000 after the Ancients left Atlantis. So it would definitely take time for the Atlantis Expedition to eliminate the threat that is the Wraith. Add to that the fact that they had to deal with the Asurans. If they can only replicate the Dakara Superweapon and somehow manage to reconstruct it in the Pegasus, tune it to Wraith energy signature, and effectively destroy anything of Wraith construction: all their ships, and all existing Wraith.

Uhm, the only advantage that the Odyssey has is its ZPM and the Asgard Core, nothing more. Remember that even if the Odyssey is the frontline ship of Homeworld Command, it its still considered of the Daedalus-class. It would not be prudent to assume that the Asgard beams aboard the Odyssey is superior to those on the Daedalus/Apollo/Sun Tzu/Hammond. Power supply, probably. But the yield these weapons deal onto enemy ships are and will be the same.

Merlin and Morgan saw the Ori for what they were. It was our resourcefulness that gave us the advances in attaining the Sangraal and the Ark, through their help.

Originally posted by CompanionCube View Post
                        This is why only SGU could still work. It retains the tension because it's in a frontier far away for any of that technology to conveniently fix everything. Also, is it just me or did the whole "Lucian Alliance planning to attack Earth" thing fell completely flat? Compare that to the threat the Goa'uld posed to Earth when it had near zero hope of fighting against except for the element of surprise using the Stargate to a loose alliance of criminals with hijacked motherships going up against Earth with its own fleet of space ships, an Ancient City and access to the Asgard Core?

Point is, apart from SGU, Stargate in general couldn't continue because basically the good guys became too powerful...
                        YES! The ending for SGU was a cliffhanger. But I think the comic series will continue on that path, to answer what happened to Eli and the crew of the Destiny.

It would be exciting to see the whole "Lucian Alliance will attack Earth" Or "the Goa'uld retaliating as revenge for their fall" story arc, because it may well be one of the reasons why the Stargate Program will go public.

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
                          Thanks for the quotes. Based on them, I reckon it's a bit premature to say it'll only be available in the States. it quite clearly says they're working on being able to get Origins out there internationally.
                          You're welcome.

At the time of its airing it will only be available to US-citizens who subscribe to the platform. In order to make it available to other audiences, MGM has to make deals with other digital platforms outside of the US (I doubt they'll expand to other platforms in the US which would defeat the purpose of having their own) and those deals will mostly be about the licensing fee to broadcast/stream this 100 minute feature.

If you're interested in what that might entail, here's an article about How Netflix Pays For Movie and TV Show Licensing:

"The Cost of Doing Business

Securing licensing agreements with TV networks, filmmakers, and other content owners is arguably the greatest expense for Netflix. For example, the company spent nearly $200 million in 2011 for access to Disney films and TV programming for a one-year period. The full series of "Lost" cost the company $45 million, "Scrubs" came in at $26 million and "Desperate Housewives" totaled $12 million for a single year. The growth of Internet-based television has made it more difficult to purchase licensing inexpensively, and the company's current content licensing budget reflects this truth. In a statement to shareholders in early 2015, Netflix revealed that its budget for obtaining new licensing deals and renewing expiring arrangements for exclusive and non-exclusive content would exceed $6 billion through 2018.
                          "

And to give you some perspective on what it means to license exclusive content:

Netflix Acquires Second Window SVOD Rights to COLONY, Which Premieres on USA Network January 14 (an article from 2015)

"Netflix will stream COLONY about a year after its linear broadcast on USA in the U.S., on Bell Media's Bravo in Canada, and after its linear broadcast in other territories worldwide."

Comment

Will it ever be released on DVD? I hope so, because I would love to have it in my collection. First, I have limited data on my ISP (50 GB/month). Second, I don't want to pay a monthly fee for it on top of what I already pay for my satellite Internet, TV, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Stargate38 View Post
                              Will it ever be released on DVD?
                              Probably as a 100-minute film.
                              I would say that's probable. Or perhaps purchased through iTunes or something. I don't know.

Comment

Cannot wait - i was so sure that there would be no more Stargate - so happy there is

Comment

Working...
                                X