MGM Announces New Original Series "Stargate Origins"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Az'ryel View Post
    Sure, but I don't know it is nicer to work on something that gets good critiques than something that dos not, or better said is not so well recieved
    I guess we won't know anyway, so it makes no sense thinking about it
    From that point of view, I'd say best to be in something that's well received than something you regret has to go on your resume.

But I don't think it will look bad either way. It shows commitment.
    And some of the actors (Ellie Gall at least, not counting Connor since he's the only known name in there) have already been welcomed by many fans at American conventions, so they're off to a relatively good start.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      Oh trust me, for the longest time, neither was I and then I met the people in that world... and my life changed, considerably so. I've done some incredible things thanks to Star Wars -- made some incredible memories and doing things I never thought I would ever get into. Stargate was the beginning, but Star Wars has taken it so much further.
      I'm just replaying Mass Effect over and over again. I mean, it appealed to me because I think it's very similar to Stargate in many respects (the character development (I mean Liara is just a prettier Daniel Jackson), adventures, mysteries, humor, horror, it's got it all).

My experience with Stargate made me want to go down the path of 3D animation. The lack of Stargate video games made me want to develop video games. Finally, Mass Effect confirmed what kind of games I want to develop and stories I want to tell.

Star Wars and Star Trek, as well as BSG in a sense (especially the original 1979 series), all contributed to the memories and personal development. Unfortunately, with Stargate: Origins, Star Trek: Discovery, the new direction of Star Wars, and EA's decision to put Mass Effect on a backburner because of the Andromeda mess (which I still enjoy though), there's nothing new for me to enjoy. I can only enjoy the old stuff, which is not bad per se, but when it's over I always feel unfulfilled or incomplete. This is especially bad with Mass Effect 3.

Oh well...

Comment

I have to admit, I have literally never played Mass Effect, but I know it has a huge following. Same with BioShock.

And someone recommended The Elder Scrolls recently. Thought I would really enjoy that.

Comment

Ok...so I've just watched the trailer for this and they really retcon the lore

They do some gate-travel it seems and there's ****ing Germans (note: I should be flattered, but then again I am not a fan of the Nazi-Regime, it was after all Germany's darkest years those from 1933-1945), too...not to mention that Catherine Langford has been claimed by feminism it seems ("Strong women need to kick ass!") despite the fact that Catherine Langford doesn't seem the type (Note: Don't get me wrong, I love kickass women - my favourite Stargate character is Samantha Carter after all - but not when it seems forced!), not to mention that such behaviour would have been (unjustly, that's why the first and second waves of feminism were needed after all!) frowned upon back then!

DAMNED, WHY? WHY? WHY?

greetings LAX

Comment

We don't actually see the gate active, or that they travel anywhere. That whole desert bit is most likely supposed to be Egypt which does have a lot of sand.

But yes, if they do activate the gate -- canon is well and truly shot.

And I kinda like bad-ass Catherine Langford -- from the little I've seen that is.

Comment

I would like it if Catherine Langford had that kind of personality in canon (no: "She mallowed with age" is a stupid excuse at best!), but in canon she's a scholar (kind of like Daniel and it took a long long long time till Daniel got used to handling weapons and there have been very few occasions where Daniel attacked first or even demanded that humanity attack someone first...leaving Earth before the SGC was shut down at the end of season one is one such occasion and wanting Anubis's evolved human warrior dead are the only ones that jump to mind!)

greetings LAX

Comment

The time it's supposedly taking place, she's hardly a scholar... early twenties is study-time.

Also, there are two moments in the trailer where's holding a gun, a third in the teaser. The first looks shaky when she's standing next to Beal, like he's showing her how to aim the thing in her hands. And the second seems, to me, a moment in which she's seriously PO'd and people's common sense generally is far out of reach. The notion of shooting someone who threatens the people you hold dear when their lives are in danger... is not too farfetched, for anyone (military or civilian).

Comment

Shooting someone who threatens you and people you care about? Sure, but being all gung-ho about it? I doubt it, more like regretful and feeling guilty (it's not normal for civilians to gun people down and even most trained soldiers are shaken by their first kill - hell, that's why the training of soldiers was changed after WW1 because many avoided actually firing directly at the enemy! They brought in psychiatrists to help soldiers become better killers and one change they made is that they didn't fire at roud bull's eye targets anymore but replaced those with human like silhoutte targets!), having sweatty and shaking hands (like Daniel in the Stargate movie when Jack hands him a gun and he really isn't good with it)

greetings LAX

Comment

Originally posted by Laxian of Earth View Post
                    Shooting someone who threatens you and people you care about? Sure, but being all gung-ho about it? I doubt it, more like regretful and feeling guilty...
                    When threatened with your life, reason goes out the window... face-to-face, I might add. Deliberately aiming to kill is another matter -- as in having good aim and time to aim. I'm talking, pointing and shooting and hope to hit something.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                      We don't actually see the gate active
                      I believe there was a little blue light scene in the "trailer", so I am guessing they are watching an activated event horizont.

The story could be still saved if someone (not Goa'uld) would die in to Earth and with his knowledge they would go for an adventure. So technically they haven't dialed because this alien will do it with technology without the DHD... Maybe he will remove the memories / kill everyone except Catherine, so the secret won't be revealed. Who knows? Maybe Catherine will be an undercover Ancient.

But we could also see the star constellations in the diary, so that looks off-canon. Really we have to treat this movie like as an AU episode.
                      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                        I believe there was a little blue light scene in the "trailer", so I am guessing they are watching an activated event horizont.
                        Could be anything really -- and until we actually see (or at least, all-access peeps) the open gate... That's when I'll say, "Oh shoot, they killed canon".

Comment

The fellas in Get Into Gate mentioned an interesting point about the German's having the DHD and perhaps being the ones to do the dialling and Catherine doesn't actually see it (outside of the blue light).
                          sigpic
                          Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
                            The fellas in Get Into Gate mentioned an interesting point about the German's having the DHD and perhaps being the ones to do the dialling and Catherine doesn't actually see it (outside of the blue light).
                            Then they would have either had to be very lucky or in possession of an address (Abydos perhaps as is suggested in the notebook) -- which would still ruin canon.

But I think that's MGM's whole idea anyway.

Comment

It wouldn't ruin canon if Catherine didn't know about. Or more interestingly, perhaps she did know about it but simply didn't know the complete address. The film would suggest they have some idea what it does with them having the galactic map ready and some probes. O'Neill even says to her he's here in case they succeed in what they're doing.

I really recommend giving that episode a listen. There's some really interesting and reasonable suggestions for how it could work.
                              sigpic
                              Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Unfortunately, I have too short an attention span and the patience to listen to podcasts or radio-people talking in general.

This may seem like a poor excuse, but for me, it's a reality.
                                If there's a transcript I could read, that might work.

Comment

Working...
                                X