No announcement yet.

MGM Announces New Original Series "Stargate Origins"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't want to make pre-juedgements, but it is a bad sign that Brad Wright or Robert C. Cooper or the very talents and creative Martin Gero are not involved in the development. I have really hoped for years that Stargate is going to return with a nice new spinoff or a few TV movies, but somehow I still feel that Stargate:Origins will be a disappointment. Simply the length of this web episodes won't be equal to the normal episodes. For example: how can you create a trailer, if the trailer is almost as long as the current web episode? You know nowadays they make a trailer of a trailer... People watch Youtube daily, so the whole world, especially the expectations of the viewers have changed in the last 20 years. Lowbudget scifi shows won't survive in this competition. Somehow I don't feel that big financial support behind the SG:O, like a few chosen fans have a chance to make a sponsored SG fan movie without the help of the original cast and crew. I can only hope I am wrong. If MGM makes a mistake with the SG:O, then it can really close the gates forever.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
      I don't want to make pre-juedgements, but it is a bad sign that Brad Wright or Robert C. Cooper or the very talents and creative Martin Gero are not involved in the development. I have really hoped for years that Stargate is going to return with a nice new spinoff or a few TV movies, but somehow I still feel that Stargate:Origins will be a disappointment. Simply the length of this web episodes won't be equal to the normal episodes. For example: how can you create a trailer, if the trailer is almost as long as the current web episode?
      Because it's a 100 minute film, give or take a few, which will be chopped into 10 10-minute webisodes.
      This is not a new series. It's more kin to a new chapter within the Stargate franchise, an Origins chapter detailing Catherine Langford's life, or part of it anyway.

You know nowadays they make a trailer of a trailer...
      Because this is a 100-minute film, it will also be filmed as such. Therefore, making a trailer for it, isn't too hard.
      It will all be filmed at once, edited at once, post will be all at once. They'll just cut it up to fill 10 slots of 10 minute streamings.

Somehow I don't feel that big financial support behind the SG:O, like a few chosen fans have a chance to make a sponsored SG fan movie without the help of the original cast and crew. I can only hope I am wrong. If MGM makes a mistake with the SG:O, then it can really close the gates forever.
      Err... this isn't a fanproject. The VIF's (Very Important Fan) of the lucky 6 countries able to pay for streaming are not enough to fund this project, like ever.

MGM is funding this project, and they contracted a firm who specializes in webseries. The director is employed by these guys. The people behind Stargate Command are MGM employees, and the app is made by TopFan, who specializes in building apps for companies and people to monetize their fanbase.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I can only hope that my worries were unfounded. Just I still feel some amateur marketing behind it. I still miss Stargate, so I would like to see the success of the SG:O.
        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Just I still feel some amateur marketing behind it.
          Unfortunately very true -- but even big companies occasionally feel to deliver.

Comment

Noticed something else today: they put in the effort to launch a separate website for "the official stargate podcast", but only the first episode is available there.
            The next two episodes are only available through stargatecommand.

So with regard to the posts above: why am I also getting more and more the feeling that they're in the process of completely wrecking the franchise?

I'm surprised to learn from FalconHorus about how all the involved parties are all over the place: a webseries-firm, a director who doesn't work for MGM, ...

Makes this even more of a disaster in my opinion. Can imagine the outcome already: this "initiative" tanks and then it's a round of "who's fault is it" with 3 separate parties pointing the finger at each other and the franchise buried for 20 years if we're lucky, for ever if we're not.

Been thinking about it a lot, but still can't get my head around why the hell they decided to take this direction with the franchise...
            I mean, even from a commercial/marketing point-of-view, this has disaster written all over it.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
              Unfortunately very true -- but even big companies occasionally feel to deliver.
              Occasionally?

In my personal opinion, there's a dung heap consisting of the following 3 things:
              - big companies
              - politicians
              - religious "organizations" a.k.a. the church and others.

Put these 3 together and you can probably account for the responsibility of about 75% of everything that goes wrong in the world.

So, why would you say that they sometimes fail to deliver? Where oh where would you get that idea?

Comment

Originally posted by DrMckay View Post
                So, why would you say that they sometimes fail to deliver? Where oh where would you get that idea?

Comment

https://www.gateworld.net/news/2017/...te-panel-lacc/

Christopher Judge (“Teal’c”) will host a “Stargate: Past, Present, and Future” panel on Saturday, October 28 at the L.A. Convention Center. Described as a journey that will “span more than 23 years of planet-hopping adventures,” the panel promises to celebrate the extensive legacy of the franchise — as well as tease what the future holds.

Fans in attendance will also get a new glimpse at Stargate Origins, which is currently in production in the greater L.A. area.

Panel guests include Stargate Origins director Mercedes Bryce Morgan and Origins actor Ellie Gall, who was recently cast as young Catherine Langford. Damian Beurer (Legion M) will co-host the panel along with Judge.
                  I'd imagine the same footage would make it's way online around the same time.
                  sigpic
                  Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
                    I'd imagine the same footage would make it's way online around the same time.
                    It might even be streamed, and if it isn't then social media will just have to do its magic.

Comment

STARGATE : ORIGINS - teaser trailer
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLctS-RWNuY

Comment

Okay, so... Why does it appear they're using the design of the movie gate, and not the one that has been used throughout ten seasons of SG-1 and quite a number of SGA and SGU episodes? I mean, I can clearly see in some shots that the chevrons are flat grey and not translucent red (not to mention the CGI shot of the full gate at the end). And the shimmering light and wide-eyed people seem to indicate an active gate, which contradicts established canon, from both the movie, the shows and Continuum. Though other scenes indicate it may also take place in Egypt prior to the gate being moved to America. At least I hope so. Prof. Langford also seems older (like in the movie) compared to his appearance in SG-1.

Comment

Not going to watch it since I'd rather not get spoiled for something I might not be able to see so why bother anyway... Kinda like Star Trek Discovery (which I do have downloaded, just haven't found the time to watch it).

But the above does not inspire me with confidence that canon will stay intact.

Also, the fact it's not Stargate Command breaking the news of the teaser but EW tells me the app is not kept in high regard by MGM.

Comment

Originally posted by nivao View Post
                            Okay, so... Why does it appear they're using the design of the movie gate, and not the one that has been used throughout ten seasons of SG-1 and quite a number of SGA and SGU episodes? I mean, I can clearly see in some shots that the chevrons are flat grey and not translucent red (not to mention the CGI shot of the full gate at the end). And the shimmering light and wide-eyed people seem to indicate an active gate, which contradicts established canon, from both the movie, the shows and Continuum. Though other scenes indicate it may also take place in Egypt prior to the gate being moved to America. At least I hope so. Prof. Langford also seems older (like in the movie) compared to his appearance in SG-1.
                            The design movie of the stargate shocked me a lot, because I thought that the show was on the SG1 timeline and not on the movie timeline. So what's the deal? The show will be finally on the Movie Timeline?

Comment

Well, I just did watch it. What can I say? Color me disappointed.

All the remarks above and then some. I call b*llsh*t when they claim this is canon.

This is exactly the same crap as star trek discovery: "trust us, we got this, definitely not in the kelvin timeline"...

Personally, I'm hoping even more now that this initiative fails.
                              Rather give me no Stargate than this.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackson2b View Post
                                The design movie of the stargate shocked me a lot, because I thought that the show was on the SG1 timeline and not on the movie timeline. So what's the deal? The show will be finally on the Movie Timeline?
                                Could it be, and it's just a thought, an in-between timeline...?

Considering it doesn't follow but predates both Stargate (1994) and Stargate SG-1 (1997) timeline wise, it could combine canon from both Stargates. Nevertheless, it'll still screw up story elements, even redcon a few if they deviate from what we learned of Langford's discovery and Catherine's younger years in both film and series.

Which, to be quite frankly, would not be cool.

Comment

Working...
                                X