No announcement yet.

MGM Announces New Original Series "Stargate Origins"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm guessing, it'll be like Netflix. The first time you sign up, it's 7 euro a month (I think), but then comes the catch. Automatic renewal and all of a sudden you're paying 10 euro a month instead.

So, 20 dollars -- possibly this could mean only the Stargate library. Valid until May 2018. If you still want access after that, you'll have to renew and possible pay more since you'll have access to the entire MGM library. There's no business model that grants you access to MGM's entire library for only 20 dollar a year.

There's a catch coming -- there's always a catch.

Especially since there are only 10 episodes of 10 minutes which do not last until May 2018, unless they only give you 1 frame at the time.

US + 5 countries are the only ones able to access the content, so the rest of the "fans" are once again royally screwed. At least, there will be a download floating about soon enough.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Guess what also helps, clicking the link to Press on the COmmand site:

Planets Align: Stargate Command All Access Opens For Pre-Sale Ahead Of September 20th Launch For The 20th Anniversary of Stargate SG1-1

Stargate Command will offer two forms of membership: a free version and an All Access paid membership. Fans will be able to download the Stargate Command app when the platform launches on September 20th. All Stargate Command members will receive a weekly newsletter featuring exclusive updates on the Stargate universe from experts and influencers and a wealth of interactive content through which the Stargate community can engage, including: fan forums, polls, quizzes and more. In addition to posting and commenting on the forums, members can create their own profiles and rise through the ranks at Stargate Command, all the way to the coveted “Ascension” level.
      And where does that leave Gateworld.net?
      This is the bloody fan forum -- always has been.

In addition to the aformentioned content, Stargate Command All Access members will receive an incredible lineup of insider content and unprecedented access to the production of Stargate Origins, from development and pre-production through the show’s premiere. All Access members will also have the exclusive opportunity to stream each 10-minute episode of Stargate Origins, as well as enjoy the largest collection of Stargate content ever released in one place including Stargate SG-1, Stargate: Universe, Stargate: Atlantis, STARGATE (the motion picture), STARGATE: THE ARK OF TRUTH, STARGATE: CONTINUUM and video extras, with all material offered in High Definition (subject to availability). Additional benefits include a virtual seat in the writers’ room at various points in the scripting process, and an authentic, limited-edition digital version of the Stargate Origins pilot shooting script. The cost of All Access is a one-time fee of $20.00, which grants members access from the launch of Stargate Command through mid-May of 2018.
      Both paid and unpaid Stargate Command members will also get a sneak peek at Stargate Origins, including a weekly window into the show’s production and access to the first two episodes when the series premieres. Fans who purchase the All Access membership during the pre-sale period will receive an exclusive Stargate Origins limited edition T-shirt.

Stargate Command will officially launch on iOS, Android, and online in the U.S. on September 20th All Access is now available for pre-sale in the U.S. at: stargatecommand.co. Stargate Command will be available worldwide through the iTunes Store and Google Play. Internationally, All Access will be available for purchase through app stores in the United Kingdom, Canada, Germany, Australia and New Zealand.
      Everyone can install the app, but all access is only available for aforementioned countries.

Comment

Sadly, yet not surprisingly, I'm guessing MGM doesn't care about Gateworld. Perhaps in their minds the Stargate franchise has been allowed to run wild all these years and this is their way of trying to grab the horse by the reins.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
          And where does that leave Gateworld.net?
          This is the bloody fan forum -- always has been.
          thumbs-up.png

I'm 1,000% behind the new "Stargate Command" project, but I really appreciate this sentiment. GW has been here for nearly 18 years, through the rise and fall of multiple official Stargate sites. And we've built a home for thousands of fans around the world, with a depth of content (if I may say so) unparalleled by any site in our category.

That said, I don't at all begrudge the studio for getting their ducks in a row and finally doing something awesome online with all their Stargate material. But there will always be things they can't (or won't) do, always room for a fan site like ours to co-exist and maintain our own niche.

And MGM has been incredibly supportive of GateWorld over the years, and now with the impending launch of Stargate Command. I hope that what proves to be true is that there is plenty of space online -- and in the hearts of Stargate fans! -- for both unofficial and official communities and content.

But I will defend GateWorld against language that suggests that there was some "need" for a Stargate community, news, and content that didn't exist on the Internet.
          GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
          The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
          Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Official forums are never as good as fan-run ones IMHO. They receive less care and proper moderation. I'll still continue to come here first for my news and etc. And $20 is nothing. I'm happy to throw-out a one-time payment for the content.

It's a little disappointing that Origins is behind that paywall, though. I know there's people out there who will be vehemently against that kind of restriction and I don't think it'll work great to bring mass appeal to the series or really revitalise the interest in the franchise.

I wish that t-shirt was an international deal, though. Oh, well.
            sigpic
            Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

FYI -- Gateworld is my Stargate home! And will always be my (dysfunctional) Stargate family!

There, I said it.

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
                It's a little disappointing that Origins is behind that paywall, though. I know there's people out there who will be vehemently against that kind of restriction and I don't think it'll work great to bring mass appeal to the series or really revitalise the interest in the franchise.
                But we already knew that would be behind a pay-wall, so that's no surprise.

I'm especially disappointed that there's other content they want to stick behind a pay-wall inaccessible to international fans (not citizens of the 5 countries that do have access). They are literally creating an elite group and we all know that the "true fan" is a can of worms nobody wants to open again.

There's a good bet, that it will probably also get you perks in the "free sections" which will only create an even bigger schasm between the haves and the have-nots.

Comment

This is a scandal that MGM believes the fans of 6 countries can maintain the new SG:C website and even the Stargate : Origins while everyone else can't access it. Disgusting.
                  Last edited by Platschu; 01 September 2017, 10:05 PM.
                  "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Which are the 5 another countries that can access the content? I know it is not mine, of course, but where can we see that info?

Why they didn't asked about our region when we suscribe to stargate command newsletter? I don't like having notifications that i can access Stargate when i can't.

So disappointing...

Comment

Originally posted by Nozomi View Post
                      Which are the 5 another countries that can access the content? I know it is not mine, of course, but where can we see that info?

Why they didn't asked about our region when we suscribe to stargate command newsletter? I don't like having notifications that i can access Stargate when i can't.

So disappointing...
                      It's all on the Stargatecommand webpage.

The 5 countries are the United States (obviously), the UK, Australia & New Zealand, Canada and Germany. They have access to the paid content (the "exclusive" Origins T-shirt is US only).

You will still have access to the first 20 minutes which will be offered for free, the other 80 disappear behind the pay-wall.

You will also have access to the app which you can download from the app-stores. However, you will still be locked out of the extras which are exclusive members-only.

You will also have access the forums, quizzes and polls. And you can work your way up to "Ascended" level, whatever that may be. I have a feeling that as a paid member you'll be there quicker than when you're on a free account.

Edit:

Also not too unimportant for those who believe they will only have to pay that 20 dollar once:

What is the Stargate Command All-Access Pass?

All-Access is the membership tier of Stargate Command, offering fans ultimate access to Stargate Command. By purchasing the All-Access Pass, you will have exclusive content at your fingertips, which you may access and use on up to 3 devices over the entire access period. All-Access starts on September 20, 2017 and ends on May 15, 2018. After May 15, 2018, the All-Access content will no longer be available through your All-Access Pass, but you will still be a member of the Stargate Command community, which will continue.
                      Last edited by Falcon Horus; 01 September 2017, 03:17 PM. Reason: Oops, forgot about Canada... Sorry Mapleleaf! Still love, still coming next year!

Comment

"All-Access" membership is open to the U.S., U.K., Canada, Germany, Australia, and New Zealand. These are likely the franchise's largest markets, FWIW.

I'm not encouraging anybody to do anything crazy, but I pay $3/month for my VPN service. It has a handy country picker.
                        GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                        The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                        Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Sometimes VPN's do come in handy -- if only I remembered I have it as an add-on.

Comment

I may be wrong of course, but aren't streaming services supposed to be equal throughout the EU, since about this or last year? Or does that only apply to Netflix?

I can't imagine Germany and the UK have a bigger fanbase than other European countries, let alone six countries out of the whole world. Six countries is hardly enough to gauge interest and make sufficient profit, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by nivao View Post
                              I may be wrong of course, but aren't streaming services supposed to be equal throughout the EU, since about this or last year? Or does that only apply to Netflix?

I can't imagine Germany and the UK have a bigger fanbase than other European countries, let alone six countries out of the whole world. Six countries is hardly enough to gauge interest and make sufficient profit, isn't it?
                              It's about licensing and broadcasting fees. It's about contracts and money.

The size of the fanbase has very little to do with it, that's just a party line.

Here you go, an article to explain it:

Here's How The TV Business Actually Works (And Why It's Going To Take Longer Than You Think To Disrupt It)

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                                FYI -- Gateworld is my Stargate home! And will always be my (dysfunctional) Stargate family!

There, I said it.

sigpic
                                ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                                A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                                The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Working...
                                X