Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast

Default Re: MGM Announces New Original Series "Stargate Origins"

Quote Originally Posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
    As a fan of the whole Stargate concept and not just the shows, I'm intrigued by the movie-style Stargate (and I love it). It does look like they have an actual practical Gate on set too. Also loved the movie score for the teaser and with the casting of Kelly Vint Castro, that's another movie connection. I wonder if they will tie more into the movie.

I've no idea where they're going with this but I'm really interested. Be nice to know if it is its own thing or if it's intended to tie in with the TV series.
    That's the whole thing. MGM said that it's part of the main television franchise, as opposed to what the reboot from Emmerich/Devlin was supposed to do. Not part of the movie, not on it's own. This feels a lot like Star Trek Discovery; it's supposed to be part of the main franchise, yet pretty much everything contradicts it.

It better not be a dream ending, damaged timeline, or memory loss near the end of the series to "solve" the continuity errors. Do it right, right away, or don't do it at all.

What it feels like is a crap attempt to join the other "star" alumni.
    Star trek buried itself into "political culture"
    Star wars buried itself in "toy culture" and "a long LONG time ago" history culture.
    Stargate has done neither, not because it can't, but because MGM hasn't.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Kate Heightmeyer's office or thereabouts...

I've no idea where they're going with this but I'm really interested. Be nice to know if it is its own thing or if it's intended to tie in with the TV series.
    I just watched Torment of Tantalus (by chance) and with the information currently available from people here, it contradicts just about everything we learned from Catherine in this episode. So, it looks like it's not going to fit in with the timeline established in the series -- and they are about to redcon the whole damn thing.
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus

icon courtsey by planet_tv || signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon
    Proper Stargate Rewatch still happening right now -- season 6 of SG-1

Funny, when looking on reddit: the more material is released, the more people are starting to say it looks like it will suck, especially compared to a few months ago.

Some guy who is in the business too (backed up by a link to his imdb page etc.) is already warning people to not get their hopes up: the footage shows it's cheaply and non-professionally made.

Nobody with any creds in the industry is involved anyways. It all looks cheaply shot inside. Some claim "but they're visiting shooting locations according to the site". Yeah, but that was a few weeks ago and even shooting outside requires permits, permission, ...

Personally, I'm feeling a huge "told you so"-moment coming up...

Thinking more and more to not watch it at all: not the final product and not the first few free eps that would be available in every country.

Rather remember my favorite franchise as it was.

I also have too much the impression that it's going to be indiana jones meets lara croft. God it just looks so unbelievably boring...

Quote Originally Posted by DrMckay View Post
    I also have too much the impression that it's going to be indiana jones meets lara croft. God it just looks so unbelievably boring...
    Didn't we already do that with Relic Hunter?

Which I really enjoyed watching.
    And there's also Young Indiana Jones with... darn it, what's his name... He played Orlin in SG-1. Build a ******* stargate out of a toaster for cryin' out loud.

icon courtsey by planet_tv || signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon

I'm still keeping my mind open and willing to give this a go. I try not to pre-judge things and go in and give them a genuine chance rather than deciding I'll hate it before hand. I'd prefer a brand new full show but if I enjoy this, then great.

Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

I'm still keeping my mind open and willing to give this a go. I try not to pre-judge things and go in and give them a genuine chance rather than deciding I'll hate it before hand. I'd prefer a brand new full show but if I enjoy this, then great.

That is very hard for me after all the negative things I read about it here already, not to the least about how it is being made accessible to people, combined with that I cannot shake the feeling that things we knew to be facts for a while will be told differently all of a sudden, which I am not a fan of
    Last edited by Az'ryel; October 30th, 2017 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Az'ryel View Post
    That is very hard for me after all the negative things I read about it here already...
    Maybe you'll like it, cause after all we all have different opinions.

...not to the least about how it is being made accessible to people...
    Or not.

I uninstalled the app from my phone and deleted every trace of it after the upteenth crash today. 10 crashes during 1 week, 8 alone today. Severe lagtimes and slow loadtimes.
    It's in those moments I'm actually quite happy I'm excluded from any streaming service whatsoever.

...combined with that I cannot shake the feeling that things we knew to be facts for a while will be told differently all of a sudden, which I am not a fan of
    Neither am I.

At least they showed the gate for a few seconds. I was not really impressed with the CGI gate design at the end of this trailer even if it was for promotion only. Why were the glyphs missing? Will they use the same gate set piece like in SG-1? I hope they don't plan to use that one which had Egyptian hieroglyphs on it as in the Stargate movie even if the first SG:O poster showed the SG-1 (Milky Way) gate.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

http://picasaweb.google.com/103478402021017098633

The Beach of naked Sebeceans and margarita shooter

I believe the SG1 gate no longer exists
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    I believe the SG1 gate no longer exists
    Neither does the Stargate gate -- well pieces might still survive in Devlin's collection since he actually used pieces of it as setdressing in an episode of Leverage once.

But the drawings do still exist. The concept art and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post

I uninstalled the app from my phone and deleted every trace of it after the upteenth crash today. 10 crashes during 1 week, 8 alone today. Severe lagtimes and slow loadtimes.
    It's in those moments I'm actually quite happy I'm excluded from any streaming service whatsoever.
    I am shocked and appalled.

You are claiming that... for 20 bucks, the users get crap? That it's made in an amateuristic way?
    That it's a cheap money-grab, nothing more?

Hmmm, big surprise there
    One can only wonder, if the webseries gets as much support, both in terms of resources, money and effort as the webplatform, what the endresult will be like.

My guess is, there will be lots of crying around the world when the first ep gets released

I am shocked and appalled.

You are claiming that... for 20 bucks, the users get crap? That it's made in an amateuristic way?
    That it's a cheap money-grab, nothing more?
    The sarcasm is strong in this one.

Hmmm, big surprise there
    One can only wonder, if the webseries gets as much support, both in terms of resources, money and effort as the webplatform, what the endresult will be like.
    I don't think it's a big budget to make -- I estimate about a half of a million or maybe a million, though from the looks of the sets it could potentially be more. But considering tent-city is the size of my office space, I reckon the budget isn't too high. Besides it's a webseries. They are used to working with lower budgets.

My guess is, there will be lots of crying around the world when the first ep gets released
    I find it rather misleading that whenever there's talk or news released that both Stargate Command and MGM are really quite about the fact that not everyone will be able to stream it on Command. That there are in fact restrictions. The Children of MacGuyver is a French group of gaters who are in the process of building a lifesize SG-1 gate and if it ever gets finished it will look stunning (my Sodan staffweapon comes from one of these guys, and I've met them), were moderately excited about it, and my first thought was like, "Guys, you can't even watch it!".

That is very hard for me after all the negative things I read about it here already, not to the least about how it is being made accessible to people, combined with that I cannot shake the feeling that things we knew to be facts for a while will be told differently all of a sudden, which I am not a fan of
    I'm sure a lot of people are but that's why I'm trying to ensure there's at least one none doomsayer voice there for people to see - even if I'm just being neutral about it until I get to watch the finished thing. I would hope that the finished piece would also be released on DVD or Blu-ray as well for those who aren't able to get the app.

Maybe they sold or destroyed the old gate prop, but it doesn't mean that they can not build a new one for the SG:O.

By the way... The story could still fit into the canon:
    1. it could be an alternative timeline
    2. Mitchell (from Continuum) shows up and helps the team
    3. they find Daniel notes (from Moebius)
    4. they find a new dialing resource (like what Teal'c had in Continuum)
    But either way it would be essential that Catherine never goes through the gate and her dad will be still a liar about the "death" of Ernest. So the story could work if they place it after Ernest's accident, but the SG:O shows clearly pre-USA era in Egypt and not the experiments after the WW2.

The drift of the planets is still a problem. So it can happen that some friendly or hostile alien will dial in, but they have to give a real good explanations why would Catherine not share this info with the SG-1. So my vote would go for option 1, we have to treat it SG:O like an alternative universe.
    Last edited by Platschu; October 31st, 2017 at 02:47 AM.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

http://picasaweb.google.com/103478402021017098633

I would hope that the finished piece would also be released on DVD or Blu-ray as well for those who aren't able to get the app.
    The app is free for all, the streaming service isn't.

Also, not interested in giving them my money if they don't allow me to sample it first.

Quote Originally Posted by Platschu View Post
    Maybe they sold or destroyed the old gate prop, but it doesn't mean that they can not build a new one for the SG:O.
    The movie gate was destroyed, literally trashed. Devlin saved some pieces which he reused in an episode of Leverage as wallpieces.

And SG-1 had several gates of which a few were destroyed or re-used, and the last few were cut up and auctioned off.

Maybe you'll like it, cause after all we all have different opinions.

Or not.

Neither am I.
    Though we have different tastes, I would always feel the nagging at the back of my mind that has to do with how they treat fans, which would make me not really able to enjoy it.

But, I am glad I never got the app

The app is free for all, the streaming service isn't.

Also, not interested in giving them my money if they don't allow me to sample it first.
    The point still stands. I would hope that the finished piece would also be released on DVD or Blu-ray as well for those who aren't able to stream the show.

We'll no doubt get a trailer anyway so you'll be able to sample it.

The point still stands. I would hope that the finished piece would also be released on DVD or Blu-ray as well for those who aren't able to stream the show.

We'll no doubt get a trailer anyway so you'll be able to sample it.
    There is a trailer out already

I was thinking more a trailer with actual footage rather than a teaser