• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MGM Announces New Original Series "Stargate Origins"

From GateWorld:

MGM Announces New Original Series
    Stargate Origins

The long night is nearly over, as MGM has announced today that it plans to re-open the Stargate with a new original, live-action series.

Stargate Origins will help to launch the studio’s new digital platform and fan experience, suitably called "Stargate Command." The subscription service will be the show’s exclusive home, as well as providing fans with additional content, developed for streaming to any device — television, phone, tablet, etc.

First, the show itself: Stargate Origins is a 10-episode digital series, which will explore the untold backstory of Catherine Langford — who first appeared in the 1994 feature film and then in Stargate SG-1's first season. "Young Catherine embarks on an unexpected adventure to unlock the mystery of what lies beyond the Stargate in order to save Earth from unimaginable darkness."

Read the Full Story >
    Last edited by GateWorld; 20 July 2017, 07:05 PM.

I for one can not wait

This could go anywhere, From young characters on earth to the ancients and even the goa'uld could get a spot showing some story from their perspective? Who knows...
    Signature removed by popular demand...

Comment

A digital for-pay platform for stargate only? Do they want this to fail? Because that's how you get this to fail.

Comment

Will it be in line with the SG1 universe or are they starting over?

Comment

It doesn't sound like a reboot. I think it will be in the same universe as SG1/SGA/SGU
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Much as I love Stargate, I don't think it has the sort of mass appeal that even Trek does. I doubt it'll be enough to attract lots of subscribers to MGM's streaming service. Not to mention international viewers... At least ST Discovery will be available on Netflix outside the US.
            sigpic

Comment

I'd be most willing to pay if I could also watch all the other Stargate shows at will. It's difficult to think of paying a monthly subscription fee year round for a show that only last 10 weeks...not to mention they are only 10 minute episodes. It will have to be pretty inexpensive compared to other streaming services that provide hundreds or thousands of movies/shows for under $10.

Comment

At least it's something

Comment

Originally posted by ScifigirlSG View Post
                  At least it's something
                  ^ That's what I was thinking as well.
                  sigpic

Comment

I am curious even if also a little hasitating to be excited about that announcement

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
                      Much as I love Stargate, I don't think it has the sort of mass appeal that even Trek does. I doubt it'll be enough to attract lots of subscribers to MGM's streaming service. Not to mention international viewers... At least ST Discovery will be available on Netflix outside the US.
                      From the sounds of it, it's a Stargate specific service. And it's not entirely pay-for-access.
                      sigpic
                      Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

There is not much room for a prequel i think, unless a forgotten adventure, where the asgard make you forget ( or the Furrlings)

This sounds more like a small fan service. Hopefully it will attract enough followers/exposure (Digital MGM platform may be unlikely. ) Subscription based doesn't really help also not unless there is more Content coming ofc.

Would love to see the whole SG1 team together around a table in an restaurant at the end of the show reminiscing.

I'm always surprised to find still lots of Stargate fans wherever i go. Especially with the TV shows. Hopefully the Webseries is successful enough to jumpstart a continuation of a new series.
                        Doesn't have to be Atlantis or Destiny or even specificly Sg1. ( new team ) New enemy if it is to be so.

Some Dynamics need to be changed, I don't mind if the Stargate program is now public to the world. Lucian Alliance probably have no in the mean time shocked the world with their presence. Lots of real time has passed so why not.

As long if the writing/characters and ofc the Humour is still there it will be atleast equally succeful as Sg1/SgA.
                        Eagles On Pogo sticks

Comment

Originally posted by Psyku View Post
                          Some Dynamics need to be changed, I don't mind if the Stargate program is now public to the world. Lucian Alliance probably have no in the mean time shocked the world with their presence. Lots of real time has passed so why not.
                          If it gets (truly) revived, it will almost certainly be a reboot or reimagination. It's simply impossible to get new viewers if they have to watch 17 seasons of Stargate plus 3 movies to have some idea of what's going on.

We don't know much about Origins, for all we know it could be a backdoor pilot to a reboot.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                            If it gets (truly) revived, it will almost certainly be a reboot or reimagination. It's simply impossible to get new viewers if they have to watch 17 seasons of Stargate plus 3 movies to have some idea of what's going on.

We don't know much about Origins, for all we know it could be a backdoor pilot to a reboot.
                            Dunno not sure if those shows are on Netflix. But Amazon Prime has those them and there might be other streaming services. People do like to binge, also recently met people who discovered Sg1 just recently and went through it like it was nothing.
                            The show holds up really well. Maybe that some pop culture references are hazy today, but that's about it. Simpsons is still on TV

And SG1 also had amazing episodes of what has happened before (s01e20 Politics for example). Something that also could include that in a new show.

But sure a Reboot/Imagination is also possible, but think there lies a risk there because lots of reboots have failed through out the years. There is still an existing and very large fan base of the shows. And bringing that back to the fold is not as hard. Starting a new one is way harder. One of the reasons the Movie Trilogy reboot didn't go through is because Id4 2 didn't meet the expectations. May or may not have been a large factor but has certainly played a part and that was a semi reboot.
                            Eagles On Pogo sticks

Comment

I was able to watch Atlantis and Universe just fine without ever watching SG1. There were a handful of references I didn't understand but they were fine all by themselves. A new series , set after SG1/SGA/SGU, could do fine as long as they give a little backstory of the gate program in general in the first few episodes it would be fine. Which this new Origins could be the buildup to. As long as its relatively successful.

Comment

Working...
                              X