Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Default Re: MGM Announces New Original Series "Stargate Origins"

Really exciting. Not the news I would have wanted but we have seen other shows like Sanctuary roll out into full TV after webisodes. Fingers crossed this is just the start!

Given the activity with the recent comics, the podcast, this announcement... I'm intrigued as to what is next!
    Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the ground. - Roosevelt

Smile Re: MGM Announces New Original Series "Stargate Origins"

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgilfoyle View Post
    but we have seen other shows like Sanctuary roll out into full TV after webisodes.
    That's a really good point. Getting more optimistic by the minute

Probie

While i am going to take a look see and then decide if i'm going to watch, i am extremely sceptical. The original series(SG-1) gives them complete freedom to do whatever they want to do, and yet they pick a 'prequel'.
    I'm not sure if they're just trying to milk this cow dry, but if it fails there will be nothing left of it. It looks like they are taking a huge risk to piss off most of the Stargate fans just because of their 'but muuum i wanna finish what i started' attitude. It can destroy everything SG-1 and the later shows built with a one 10 minute episode, and make the fans hate their guts for it. On a side note, the cast of SG-1 and Atlantis(even Universe) aren't getting any younger, so there won't be any time to fix their mess even if the conditions for it were perfect and all of the original cast came back for one last run(and to end Stargate the way it deserves to end).
    I honestly hope they don't destroy everything, but the chance that it will happen is so big i am kinda sad in advance.

Kate Heightmeyer's office or thereabouts...

Quote Originally Posted by Original Man View Post
    ...with a one 10 minute episode...
    For the record, it's not one 10-minute episode, it's ten 10-minute episodes (or thereabouts).
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus

icon courtsey by planet_tv || signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon
    Proper Stargate Rewatch still happening right now -- season 6 of SG-1

Probie

Yeah, i know. I meant just one of those can be so bad to piss half of the fans off right away.

Staff Sergeant

As an Internation fan, I'm double-bummed I can't watch it right away. However as someone who was completely resigned to a Stargate drought for the next 10 years, this news definitely came unexpected and obviously I'm happy to hear the franchise is not completely forgotten.

However, going by the description I noticed it said it's a prequel that's in the same canon as the shows which has me worried. Unless they're going for more of a slice of life drama with connections to the Stargate program, I don't see how they're going to fit Catherine into a Stargate adventure narrative since the first time she actually stepped through the thing was 1997.

Quote Originally Posted by Original Man View Post
    Yeah, i know. I meant just one of those can be so bad to piss half of the fans off right away.
    Considering half of the fandom can't watch it anyway, the other half better not get dissappointed. The faith of Stargate literally, once again, rests in the hands of the American fans.

icon courtsey by planet_tv || signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon

The Beach of naked Sebeceans and margarita shooter

I originally read that as that half the fandom can't agree
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    I originally read that as that half the fandom can't agree
    LOL, also true though.

I enjoyed X-men, 1, 2 & 3. But then it got very confusing with all the spinoff/prequil/character specific movies that came out.
    Old Xavier & old Magnito walk together to interview Jean, but before that, in X-men First Class, young Xavier is shot by young Magnito & can't walk anymore.
    They completely ruined the whole thing.
    In SG1 Catherine's BF/lover/fiance went through the gate, never to be seen again, Catherine didn't. Now the speculation is that in this new spinoff/prequil Catherine went through the gate, saved the world & came back, but her BF/etc. couldn't?
    Backstories &/or prequils need to keep to the canon, not change it to suit the new writers.

That's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Who Knows View Post
    Backstories &/or prequils need to keep to the canon, not change it to suit the new writers.

That's just my opinion.
    The thing is, there isn't much backstory/prequels to be had. We know what happened after the Gate was found, we know about every major travel through it.

To me, Origins looks like a stealth backdoor pilot. If Origins works, we'll likely see an announcement for a new show based upon this revised canon.

Quote Originally Posted by thekillman View Post
    To me, Origins looks like a stealth backdoor pilot. If Origins works, we'll likely see an announcement for a new show based upon this revised canon.
    So basically throw out the TV-canon... oh yeah, that'll go down lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    So basically throw out the TV-canon... oh yeah, that'll go down lovely.
    Continuing the old canon is a pipe dream that'll never happen. 17 seasons is too much to ask for new viewers. Plus, stuff like Atlantis on earth and the Asgard Core have permanently ruined the series' future anyway.

Continuing the old canon is a pipe dream that'll never happen. 17 seasons is too much to ask for new viewers. Plus, stuff like Atlantis on earth and the Asgard Core have permanently ruined the series' future anyway.
    Before I got into Stargate, I watched Star Trek Voyager on TV (in the late nineties). I loved that show, until Stargate of course. Yet, it was only until about a few months ago that I got into Star Trek TOS, and now TNG on Netflix. I didn't much care for whatever came before until now.

Why can't some writer continue with the "real" canon (seriously, why call it "old")? Others can do it; I mean, novels, and now the comics, keep on coming. Fans keep making their own stories, and some seem to be pretty reasonable. Though not officially canon, Atlantis was intended to go back anyway. And what's wrong with the Asgard core? The only thing that ruins the future of any TV show, be it Stargate, Star Trek or Star Wars is not this stuff, it's the lack of imagination. Sure, not everyone will accept every idea, but life is full of compromises. And, well, you can't really please everyone all of the time.

Nevertheless, prequels shouldn't contradict existing canon. Though MGM promised it adds to the franchise, suggesting it is not a reboot or something, I agree that certain signs say otherwise. I will just look and see.

Quote Originally Posted by nivao View Post
    And what's wrong with the Asgard core?
    Because almost any plot point can be solved by asking the Core a solution and draw upon more than 100 000 years of asgard civilization to fix ANYTHING. there's absolutely no reason Earth can't modernize literally every aspect of existence simply by asking the Core to fix every problem on earth. Plus, because of the escalation of enemies, there is no enemy we can fight reasonably anymore. SG1 defeated literal gods. The only way to fix it is to either retcon or to come up with lame explanations, like everyone magically becoming immune to those weapons.

Because almost any plot point can be solved by asking the Core a solution and draw upon more than 100 000 years of asgard civilization to fix ANYTHING. there's absolutely no reason Earth can't modernize literally every aspect of existence simply by asking the Core to fix every problem on earth. Plus, because of the escalation of enemies, there is no enemy we can fight reasonably anymore. SG1 defeated literal gods. The only way to fix it is to either retcon or to come up with lame explanations, like everyone magically becoming immune to those weapons.
    We don't know if the core can do that. Not directly. Because the Wraith still aren't defeated. We still can't make our own Stargates. Even I can easily think up a few ideas of why the Core can't solve anything. In fact, I already did with some of my fan fiction. In terms of enemies, we barely did anything. It was the Asgard that gave us the beam weapons (which were only able to destroy Ori ships as long as the Core was aboard the ship), it was Merlin that gave us the Sangraal, it was the Ancients' Ark of Truth that allowed us to defeat the Ori followers, and it took Morgan le Fay to fight Adria and "keep her busy" for all eternity. All we did was use whatever we got, and there are a number of reasons why we can't keep using it. The beam weapons on the other ships are nowhere near as powerful as those on the Odyssey, with the Core connected, as they couldn't even scratch the ZPM-powered hive ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Considering half of the fandom can't watch it anyway, the other half better not get dissappointed. The faith of Stargate literally, once again, rests in the hands of the American fans.
    Can you point me to where that was said?

Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Quote Originally Posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
    Can you point me to where that was said?
    In just about every article out there, written after SDCC.

From the article on GW:

"Stargate Origins will help to launch the studio’s new digital platform and fan experience, suitably called “Stargate Command.” The subscription service will be the show’s exclusive home, as well as providing fans with additional content, developed for streaming to any device — television, phone, tablet, etc.

[...]

Stargate Command will have both free elements and paid content for subscribers. The studio also hopes to make the platform available to the fan community worldwide, though international plans are still being hammered out. Expect updates on both of these fronts soon."

From The Verge article "Stargate is coming back as a digital-only prequel series"

"Stargate Origins will launch in 2017 on MGM’s new digital platform

Each episode of Origins will run 10 minutes in length, with the first season of 10 episodes available exclusively on a new website called Stargate Command. According to MGM’s announcement, Command will also be an official destination for all things Stargate, including a “variety of Stargate assets and content from the franchise’s nearly 25-year history.”
    "

By which I would say, Origins is available through the digital platform, thus behind a pay-wall non-residents cannot access, while the rest of the Stargate content might be -- and one should stress the "might be" -- freely available.

The Terms of Use and Private Policy available on the Stargate Command website speak of content the likes of forums and the possibility to add content by users, thus I foresee a way to interact with fans around the globe much like we are doing now on Gateworld (although confined within the limitations of a forum -- beyond uploading of images GW is limited in as far as digital media goes).

From the TV Line article "Stargate Origins Series to Launch New MGM Digital Platform":

"MGM will explore Stargate Origins, as a means of launching its dedicated digital platform and fan experience, called Stargate Command.

MGM’s first premium digital series will follow a young Catherine Langford (played on SG-1 by Elizabeth Hoffman, pictured) as she embarks on an unexpected adventure to unlock the mystery of what lies beyond the Stargate in order to save Earth from unimaginable darkness. This 10-episode event series, produced by MGM’s Digital Group and entertainment studio New Form, will be directed by Mercedes Bryce Morgan and written by Mark Ilvedson and Justin Michael Terry.
    "

From Vox.com -- "Stargate is returning with a prequel series about beloved archaeologist Catherine Langford"

"The 10-episode Stargate Origins will air on a dedicated new streaming service, Stargate Command.

Mercedes Bryce Morgan will direct Stargate Origins, with writing from Mark Ilvedson and Justin Michael Terry. Production is scheduled to begin in August. The series will stream on the franchise’s new subscription-based digital platform, which launches later this fall.
    "

Edit

I tried looking for any press releases on the new digital platform MGM's starting up, but there's only the article about Sam Tole's hiring (their digital media wizzkid). But then I found another article on Multichannel News -- MGM Slates 'Stargate Origins' Digital Series

"MGM released a teaser trailer for the new show and said the new digital platform will have a mix of paid and free content.

[...]

With the increasing popularity of digitally native content that can be streamed to any device, MGM is committed to the production of premium linear mid-form content and are proud to launch with Stargate Origins.
    "
    Last edited by Falcon Horus; July 30th, 2017 at 02:25 PM.

Thanks for the quotes. Based on them, I reckon it's a bit premature to say it'll only be available in the States. it quite clearly says they're working on being able to get Origins out there internationally.
    Last edited by Elite Anubis Guard; July 31st, 2017 at 12:16 AM.

Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Staff Sergeant

This is why only SGU could still work. It retains the tension because it's in a frontier far away for any of that technology to conveniently fix everything. Also, is it just me or did the whole "Lucian Alliance planning to attack Earth" thing fell completely flat? Compare that to the threat the Goa'uld posed to Earth when it had near zero hope of fighting against except for the element of surprise using the Stargate to a loose alliance of criminals with hijacked motherships going up against Earth with its own fleet of space ships, an Ancient City and access to the Asgard Core?

Point is, apart from SGU, Stargate in general couldn't continue because basically the good guys became too powerful...