Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stargate: Origins the name of the new TV show?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SG-17 View Post
    stargatecommand.com is just a redirect page for a Star Citizen mod. How strapped for cash is MGM that they couldn't buy that and had to resort to a bargain bin domain?
    Ahem, the official website stargate.mgm.com is now Stargate Command, so though there is a new domain, the original one still works.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      These Are The Voyagers was the love letter for the Star Trek fans. Maybe you should be happy that your letter is undeliverable.
      Do I even want to know?

Originally posted by nivao View Post
      With respect, you're sounding like you work at MGM. There is nothing that says it will be US-only. "Stargate Command" isn't even online yet. The only thing that was mentioned in the official press release is that MGM wants it to be available internationally and are currently "hammering out the plans". So right now, though it is unclear if it will be available everywhere at launch, there is nothing to indicate that it will be US-only from the get go.
      I know business talk.

And here you go, lifehack explains so you might understand how complicated that **** is: Why Do Media Companies Block Movies, Music, and TV Based on Location?

It's a general article about all sorts of media, so here's specifically the one about TV:

Advertising and Localization: Why Your Favorite Shows Stream Only in Certain Places

"Video services have many of the same challenges, plus some others. Licensing with major producers is largely the reason why Netflix took forever to get up and running in the UK and Ireland, and Hulu, which is owned in large part by those same content producers, is obviously in no hurry to make its content available elsewhere in the world until they can figure out a way to monetize it.

Some of that comes down to paying the necessary fees and residuals to studios, actors, and staff involved with the making of movies and TV shows, but the larger issue is advertising and localization. Streaming video services have to line up local advertisers willing to support their programming, and they also have to battle with the demand for localized content—English language dramas need to be subtitled before broadcast, or dubbed altogether depending on the demands of the studio that produced it and the overseas rights-holder. Both parties play a hand in when their content can be made available on the internet, and it only takes one of them to sink a deal.

With movies, there's another barrier: Staggered film releases. A blockbuster that hit theaters in the US and is now available to stream on Netflix may not appear on Netflix in the UK, for example, because the film just arrived in theaters there, or because it just launched on Blu-ray there, and rights holders don't want to cannibalize sales. To boot, licensing agreements with streaming video sources are usually for a matter of years—usually five to ten, which is why it's news whenever a series of films is about to vanish from Netflix, and why Hulu mentions when any given video or series is going to expire.

As for YouTube and other user-distributed streaming media, licensing is king. Video owners may only have rights to use the music in a video in a few countries, or perhaps they're only producing for a specific audience. Maybe they want to monetize their video, and have to localize it for advertising. In any event, YouTube uploaders have the option to select where their video will be available when they upload the video.
      "
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Ahem, the official website stargate.mgm.com is now Stargate Command, so though there is a new domain, the original one still works.
        And? What does that change about what I said?

Comment

I'm excited, it's not the format or even the story I'd have picked. However, it gives stargate a future which it hasn't had for a while now.
          sigpic
          Leeds Rhinos - 1961, 1969, 1972, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2015 champions!
          Metal gear fan

Comment

And? What does that change about what I said?
            Why does MGM have to buy a new domain? They already have one, so what's your point?

Comment

Why does MGM have to buy a new domain? They already have one, so what's your point?
              They bought stargatecommand.co on June 30th.

https://www.whois.com/whois/stargatecommand.co

Comment

They bought stargatecommand.co on June 30th.

https://www.whois.com/whois/stargatecommand.co
                Okay, sure. Kind of a weird top-domain, sure. But still, they already had the stargate.mgm.com domain, which links to the same site. Why do you say MGM is strapped for cash then? On that same site, I checked "stargatecommand.com" and it was registered in 2005 and only renewed two weeks ago, so MGM couldn't register it anyway. They can't just take it over. It has to expire first, and then not be renewed automatically. I think it's more stupid that they bought a second domain in the first place.

Comment

Okay, sure. Kind of a weird top-domain, sure. But still, they already had the stargate.mgm.com domain, which links to the same site. Why do you say MGM is strapped for cash then? On that same site, I checked "stargatecommand.com" and it was registered in 2005 and only renewed two weeks ago, so MGM couldn't register it anyway. They can't just take it over. It has to expire first, and then not be renewed automatically. I think it's more stupid that they bought a second domain in the first place.
                  They could offer to buy it or send lawyers after it.

Comment

They could offer to buy it or send lawyers after it.
                    Offer, sure. But it's otherwise perfectly legal, that's the thing, especially if it had been used all these years. MGM should've seized the name back then. Anyway, I'm going way off-topic by dragging this along.

Comment

It's not off topic.

I think Stargate Command used to be site with a stargate game... or I'm remembering that wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                        It's not off topic.

I think Stargate Command used to be site with a stargate game... or I'm remembering that wrong.
                        you are remembering right
                        sigpic
                        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                          you are remembering right
                          I spent so much time on that website when I was a kid! And there was the Goa'uld version too but I can't remember what that site was called.
                          sigpic
                          Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

*blows dust off keyboard and logs into Gateworld*

It's as if I've been in a deep slumber for 5 years and suddenly there were four...[spin offs].
                            I Am Locutus_Of_Borg Resistance Is Futile, Hallowed Are The Ori, We Go Out With Our Phasers Firing

[QUE] Founder/Admin - Observation Of Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen Entanglement On Supraquantum Structures By Induction Through Nonlinear Transuranic Crystal Of Extremely Long Wavelength Pulse From Mode-Locked Source Array

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus_Of_Borg View Post
                              *blows dust off keyboard and logs into Gateworld*

It's as if I've been in a deep slumber for 5 years and suddenly there were four...[spin offs].
                              Wait a minute... are you saying you missed the entire Atlantis/Universe era?!?

Comment

He doesn't know about Heightmeyer. I'll get your tissues FH
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X