Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Kate Heightmeyer's office or thereabouts...

Default Re: Stargate: Origins the name of the new TV show?

Don't forget, region-free vs region-blocked (which can be circumvented, but if it's behind a pay-wall, that would become harder).
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus

icon & signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon
    Proper Stargate Rewatch still happening right now -- season 6 of SG-1

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    If it's blocked for international viewers, I don't see it succeeding.
    Eep, I didn't even think of that! I hope they're not stupid enough to geo-lock (or geo-delay) it--that would doom the whole venture before it even gets off the ground.
    "Not every movie is for you. Not every TV show is for you. Not every song is for you. Find the things you like, and like them. Go nuts liking them. A thing ISN’T for you? Cool. Go find something you like. That’s it. That’s as complicated as it should be." -- David Blue

Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    I think that's the gargantuan elephant in the room here. Stargate has always had a very dedicated core audience, but us being vocal doesn't mean we're numerous. A webseries automatically limits your audience to us niche folks, and it limits it further still if the paywall becomes a factor.

Narrowing viewership is a dangerous play if you're trying to revive a franchise.
    If you recall how big of a issue I think Star Trek Discovery is facing with it's paywall issue, you can understand how much I agree with this. The difference here is that Discovery actually has a workable solution and Netflix already did this sort of thing. The only barrier to CBS is well...getting people to pay for one network's worth of shows (CBS) as opposed to one streaming service plus other networks/movie studios/channel's shows (Hulu/Netflix etc). SG Origins is um...not even a network worth of shows nor is it known the way Star Trek is.

Geo-delay?

icon & signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon

Staff Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    That's what worries me. It's Star Trek Discovery but even more iffy.
    another issue is expanding the "fanbase". I wonder what they'll do to get "fresh blood"
    into it on the audience side of things...maybe release the entire thing as a movie? Piggyback if off other media or shows? It looks like they are really going for a new approach and knowingly taking a risk and hoping it'll pay off...which isn't a bad thing. Netflix also took a risk and it paid off big time.
    I see no way this will expand the fan base or is designed to. MGM decided they could make money with their own Stargate subscription service. However as the only people who'd ever sign up for it already own the show on home media, they have thrown together a cheap web series to entice them to sign up.

They then came up with a concept in which they don't have to deal with any of the TV series plots or feature any of the actors from the franchise. As well as a concept that won't involve gate travel, other planets, alien races, spaceships or anything else expensive or what the franchise is known for.

Geo-delay?
    Are you talking about region blocks? That's what I read in GW main site. Darren posted the press release, it mentioned that they are working on international something for it.

And they say I'm Mr. Negative.

Are you talking about region blocks? That's what I read in GW main site. Darren posted the press release, it mentioned that they are working on international something for it.
    I'm more than familiar with region-blocking (unfortunately -- hence why I know it can be circumvented). I just hadn't heard about the delay -- don't know exactly what that's supposed to be about. Is it like Game of Thrones, where you can watch like a day later?

If you recall how big of a issue I think Star Trek Discovery is facing with it's paywall issue,
    Fortunately for the future of Trek, that's only an issue for US viewers. CBS All Access isn't a thing for the rest of us, and the international sales/licensing (we all get it either on TV or on Netflix) has already paid for the show's production.

Geo-delay?
    When it's available in location A at one time, but it doesn't broadcast/release in other regions till days/weeks/months later.
    "Not every movie is for you. Not every TV show is for you. Not every song is for you. Find the things you like, and like them. Go nuts liking them. A thing ISN’T for you? Cool. Go find something you like. That’s it. That’s as complicated as it should be." -- David Blue

I'm more than familiar with region-blocking (unfortunately -- hence why I know it can be circumvented). I just hadn't heard about the delay -- don't know exactly what that's supposed to be about. Is it like Game of Thrones, where you can watch like a day later?
    Maybe they are doing language stuff. What language do you speak again? Let's call it Dutch for no real ulterior motive/reason here. They might be working on getting it in Dutch. But that won't explain any delays in the Anglo countries.

And they say I'm Mr. Negative.
    No you're not. That's my name
    Jelgate is right

Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    Fortunately for the future of Trek, that's only an issue for US viewers. CBS All Access isn't a thing for the rest of us, and the international sales/licensing (we all get it either on TV or on Netflix) has already paid for the show's production.
    Oh right, I forgot about that. Non-American Netflix is cooler....defeats the purpose of being a "Superpower" if we can't reap the benefits >.>

yes, but say out here where they do that with GOT, in that few hour window, it's out on the net and watched already.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    yes, but say out here where they do that with GOT, in that few hour window, it's out on the net and watched already.
    Lets be honest. If their is a delay most of the international community will pirate it like they always do
    Jelgate is right

Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    Lets be honest. If their is a delay most of the international community will pirate it like they always do
    that's what I mean Jel, we are just well known for it.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Chief Master Sergeant USMCgrunt's Avatar

I just don't see how this is going to do anything to help MGM and further the franchise. Putting this thing on their own subscription service is just not going to work.

We really don't know exactly what will and will not require subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinspoon View Post
    MGM decided they could make money with their own Stargate subscription service. However as the only people who'd ever sign up for it already own the show on home media, they have thrown together a cheap web series to entice them to sign up.
    ^ This. Just look at who's involved - they got a bunch of absolute no-names to create this thing. This isn't going to be a "proper" new Stargate series at all, but a low-budget, little-to-no regards to quality "let's just throw something together" type series of web videos.

And the worst part is, if we the fans don't support it, MGM will conclude that there's no interest in Stargate anymore and kill the franchise again.

The wait for Stargate's revival continues (this sure as hell isn't it), but I'm actually less hopeful now than I was 24 hours ago.

Chief Master Sergeant USMCgrunt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ugly Pig View Post
    ^ This. Just look at who's involved - they got a bunch of absolute no-names to create this thing. This isn't going to be a "proper" new Stargate series at all, but a low-budget, little-to-no regards to quality "let's just throw something together" type series of web videos.

And the worst part is, if we the fans don't support it, MGM will conclude that there's no interest in Stargate anymore and kill the franchise again.

The wait for Stargate's revival continues (this sure as hell isn't it), but I'm actually less hopeful now than I was 24 hours ago.
    Yep you kind of figured it would be crap when they said it would be 10 episodes that would be 10 minutes long each.

Don't get me wrong. I'll watch this. I'll support it. I'll throw money at MGM in the hopes that one day they'll bring back Stargate for real.

But my hype level for this web series, in itself, is precisely 0.