Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will the updated site have updated rules to protect the LGBT members of the forum?

The current rules were set in place 15 years ago when gay panic (the fear of making any kind of contact with a gay person) was considered comedy.

A time when trans people were a punchline.

The current rules allow hate speech against LGBT people. There are transphobic slurs posted throughout the forum. And no one will do anything because 'it's not against the rules'.

So, will you at least consider looking into it?

You keep saying you want a forum that is safe and welcoming to everyone.

Do you mean it?

Comment

^

Being a welcoming place for all users can only be a good thing. I tend to avoid politics stuff on here so I don't see it so much, but if slurs are being allowed to go unchecked right now just due to some technicality of rules, surely that should be fixed ASAP? That seems like an oversight that could be corrected very quickly, as it's just down to people and enforcement rather than sorting out technical issues.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I'd like to add my voice in support of Pharaoh Hamenthotep's comment. Hate speech peing passed off as a civil disagreement is very unwelcoming.
        http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....30&postcount=9
        http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....9&postcount=18
        Originally posted by Jonzey
        Hardcore nudity means not just without clothes, but without skin. You can't get much more hardcore nude than that.

Comment

Disagreeing with someone is not hate speech.

Comment

As you guys know, there are a lot of things that we can control in this forum. Color, avatars, font size, we can control it all. But there are some things that we can't.

We have been monitoring some threads and there are some issues. First is how transgender people are referred to. The proper terms are Trans, Transgender or that person's chosen pronoun. (for example Caitlyn Jenner identifies as a woman so the proper pronouns are she or her). Any other terms used to refer to transgender people are inappropriate and should not be used. We continue to look into the rules and terminology and will be updating the forum rules to reflect this as soon as we review and agree upon terms.

There is one thing we cannot control and that is individual members' feelings and ideals. I can't control how a person feels when they read something. Can't and won't even try. This is where individual responsibility comes into play.

I hate jazz music. Simply cannot stand it. If I choose to go to a bar on jazz night then I need to own the fact that I CHOSE to go somewhere where I knew I would be exposed to something I don't like. It's inappropriate of me to make a loud fuss about not liking the music or to complain to the manager when I clearly knew what I was walking into. I chose to put myself where I would not have fun so I need to own that choice.

Forum members need to do the same. If you don't like a character, stay out of threads dedicated to that character. If you think the new Stargate Origins will suck, then just leave it be and let others enjoy themselves and find somewhere else you want to spend your time. All the temper tantrums in the world will not reorder the world into aligning itself your way and only your way.

Own your choices and take responsibility for your actions. If you find a thread hard to read, then stop reading it. Own your happiness, walk away and find somewhere else to be happy. If you cannot or will not do that, then own the fact that your unhappiness is YOUR CHOICE.

We cannot and will not moderate this forum to each person's personal feelings. We moderate to rules, and they are rules that apply to all. And it is very possible for something to be deemed as insulting to an individual without breaking the rules. If a post does not break the rules then it's not something we can moderate.

We can do our part by editing the rules as needed, but users need to do theirs by owning where they go and what they do.

If there's a candle in front of you and you know the flame burns but you keep sticking your hand over the flame....own the fact that it's your choice that your hand hurts. You keep taking action that hurts you and it's on you to stop taking that action.

The mods are discussing this issue. We do ask users to be patient as we do so. We have lives and things to do in the real world and we are separated by numerous time zones. Things take time, and this is an issue that we want to get right.

In the meantime.....treat others the way you'd like to be treated. As you talk to others, think about your words. If you'd be insulted or hurt to read them, then don't write them.

There is plenty of. nastiness in this world, try to insert some kindness.

Now, this thread was started to talk about updating the CSS for the site, and it needs to get back on topic, please. Further off topic discussion will be deleted.
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X