Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why can't American video game developers make games like Horizon or The Witcher?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I loved Mass Effect 1-2-3. It was one of the best scifi experience in the last 10 years. Memorable NPCs, nice dialogues, interesting worlds and races. Lots of tv show could learn from them. The only weak point was the space animation movies. While the character models were amazingly detailed, somehow they couldn't make the same quality with spaceship related scenes.

Hungary has got the Digic Pictures. I don't know if you have heard about them, but they are responsible for many award winning game cinamtic trailers. It doesn't matter if fantasy or scifi, these guys are amazing. They have made most of the Assasin's Creed and Mass Effect trailers:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/TheDigi...view=0&sort=dd
    Last edited by Platschu; 30 June 2018, 11:59 PM.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      100% agree. The moment I hear that the focus is on multiplayer, that that's the emphasis and/or is what's going to get virtually the only support post-release, I pretty much lose interest. I'm just not interested in online experiences that amount to getting beaten by 14-year-old kids with nothing better to do than play all day and spam the chat with racism and homophobia.

What really makes me roll my eyes on top of that though is when you get a game like the new Star Wars Battlefront games, or the upcoming Call of Duty, where the developer has decided to just completely ditch the single-player experience--but they're still going to charge a full $60-80 for it. I'm not going to buy that, so it doesn't make me angry as such, but when they're not even bothering to do half (or more) of the development work? Come on.
      Cough
      FALLOUT 76
      Cough cough.

Save player one!!.
      errr………….
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

i think thiers a conspiracy to break all corporate games from being good, EA seems to be the top enforcer buying good companys like westwood, and ruining the games... like command and conquer, lucasarts was a huge producer of diverse games for decades, they ended up dissapearing with the starwars license sale to disney etc, ahhhh, lets see.... thiers a long list of things EA and others of course, which leaves non corporate made games to buy for great story lines, its a conspiracy, just like everyone knows just about everything in this country seems to get worse... because it is a conspiracy, food prices go up, minimum wage federally stays more or less the same, and everyone suffers who isnt rich, and even the rich sense danger i suppose, its a supple economy and someone is ringing it super tight

Comment

Originally posted by AleksisMi View Post
          i think thiers a conspiracy to break all corporate games from being good, EA seems to be the top enforcer buying good companys like westwood, and ruining the games... like command and conquer, lucasarts was a huge producer of diverse games for decades, they ended up dissapearing with the starwars license sale to disney etc, ahhhh, lets see.... thiers a long list of things EA and others of course, which leaves non corporate made games to buy for great story lines, its a conspiracy, just like everyone knows just about everything in this country seems to get worse... because it is a conspiracy, food prices go up, minimum wage federally stays more or less the same, and everyone suffers who isnt rich, and even the rich sense danger i suppose, its a supple economy and someone is ringing it super tight
          When the desire to create art becomes overrun with the desire to increase stocks, this is what happens. Big companies focus a lot on stocks so they focus on big money bag bringers. They don't care about fans and art. Take the fad of fortnite. They are going to milk it as much as possible and it doesn't matter what it does to IP's. The thing is, in the long term, this is just a fad and it will burn out like all fads. MMO's are the longer living version that is also a big money bag. This is why Battlefront 1 had no story. The big money bags didn't come from singleplayer in the mind of the stock obsessed big company CEO's. Mass Affect Andromeda was built with the purpose of getting pre orders, and lots of cash from the IP without really being concerned for story or the "art".

Foreign companies tend to be smaller and not so heavily tied to the stock market. The CEO's are closer to the actual game makers, or one of them. They aren't just always simply business suits who landed a quaint job that they only see as a job. Because of that greater attention to the art versus the bag of money, they tend to have a better relationship with their fans, who may also be niche fans whose loyalty in the long term is paramount, and cater to them more closely.

Small American companies can and do make good games for these reasons...but the tend to get gobbled up by giants like EA.
          By Nolamom
          sigpic

Comment

Yeah the only “conspiracy” here is the pursuit of profit — a goal as old as the hills.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
              100% agree. The moment I hear that the focus is on multiplayer, that that's the emphasis and/or is what's going to get virtually the only support post-release, I pretty much lose interest. I'm just not interested in online experiences that amount to getting beaten by 14-year-old kids with nothing better to do than play all day and spam the chat with racism and homophobia.

What really makes me roll my eyes on top of that though is when you get a game like the new Star Wars Battlefront games, or the upcoming Call of Duty, where the developer has decided to just completely ditch the single-player experience--but they're still going to charge a full $60-80 for it. I'm not going to buy that, so it doesn't make me angry as such, but when they're not even bothering to do half (or more) of the development work? Come on.
              I agree...it's so sad that the big companies only care about the profits and so then the art goes out the window.
              Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
              Cough
              FALLOUT 76
              Cough cough.

Save player one!!.
              errr………….
              Exactly....I signed my petition!
              I was very disappointed to learn that Fallout 76 was online only. Such a bummer for me. Even if you could play solo....you'll come up against a bunch of Like Digi said....14 yo's who have spent 2 days building their arsenal and you're just able to get on for the first time after you've worked all day and they will take out your settlement with their nukes. It also is a bummer that really you couldn't run any mods on them unless everyone on the server is running the same mods....and how likely is that? I can't wait for this Fortnight crappola phase to die out.
              Originally posted by jelgate
              This brings much pain but SQ is right

Comment

To be fair, I don't actually mind the concept of Fallout 76, but it is NOT traditional fallout. I played WoW and SW:TOR for years, and while I loved the narrative story, the last year or so on both was almost purely PVP arena's and "housekeeping". Hell, in my latest FO4 playthrough, I did not rescue Preston and the gang until lvl 60, let alone lvl 3-4 when you are "supposed to" according to the story.
                As for Mods, I don't run mods, just vanilla FO and DLC's, so I have not been "spoiled" in that sense.

Will griefing be part of FO-76?
                Sure, they cannot stop it.
                Does it have to define your game?
                I don't think so. One well organized guild eqiv could take all 32 spots on a server and lock out griefers entirely.
                sigpic

Comment

To be fair, I don't actually mind the concept of Fallout 76, but it is NOT traditional fallout. I played WoW and SW:TOR for years, and while I loved the narrative story, the last year or so on both was almost purely PVP arena's and "housekeeping". Hell, in my latest FO4 playthrough, I did not rescue Preston and the gang until lvl 60, let alone lvl 3-4 when you are "supposed to" according to the story.
                  As for Mods, I don't run mods, just vanilla FO and DLC's, so I have not been "spoiled" in that sense.

Will griefing be part of FO-76?
                  Sure, they cannot stop it.
                  Does it have to define your game?
                  I don't think so. One well organized guild eqiv could take all 32 spots on a server and lock out griefers entirely.
                  yeah the good news is they did say the servers will be smaller and your settlement will not show up when you are not online so no one could come in and raid and destroy your camp while off line which is good. We'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrely1 View Post
                    yeah the good news is they did say the servers will be smaller and your settlement will not show up when you are not online so no one could come in and raid and destroy your camp while off line which is good. We'll see.
                    There is tons coming out now on YT about it right now SQ, have a peek
                    sigpic

Comment

There is tons coming out now on YT about it right now SQ, have a peek
                      Yeah, I have seen some of it already. I'm probably not going to play it though. We'll see. If my son and I could all get on the same platform and get a few friends together I may do it. Problem is I'm XBoxone and he's PC so that's already an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrely1 View Post
                        Yeah, I have seen some of it already. I'm probably not going to play it though. We'll see. If my son and I could all get on the same platform and get a few friends together I may do it. Problem is I'm XBoxone and he's PC so that's already an issue.
                        Actually, the only issue seems to be with PS4, XB1 and PC can cross-play so you should be fine.
                        I'm scrooged mcDucked
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X